Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The Ultimate DooMer

The /newstuff Chronicles #108

Damn crap. I just reloaded my Licence to Spell Doom game and for some reason my zdoom beta is buggy and I don't have any weapons. I have the chaingun selected, but I don't own it for some reason. I don't even own the fist!

Hyena said:

Damn crap. I just reloaded my Licence to Spell Doom game and for some reason my zdoom beta is buggy and I don't have any weapons. I have the chaingun selected, but I don't own it for some reason. I don't even own the fist!

Yeah, i has the same problem when i reloaded my eternall.wad game :(. The only way to acces to the weapons is write in the console "weapon x"
Well, about the "adult textures" in my wad (DMC), they are only a set of pics of laetitia casta in map 13, she is the sex symbol of my clan :P

Hyena said:

The Zdoom betas have had some issues with savegames. The way around the problem has generally been to start a new game with the skill level you have been using, and then to load a savegame. However, the problem you describe sounds different. Are you using 2.0.25 or 2.0.27? There might be savegame issues in 2.0.27; I don't know (I tested with 2.0.25). BTW, savegames are broken in the latest ZdoomGL beta (0.71), just in case you're being naughty and using that ;)

Grazza said:

The Zdoom betas have had some issues with savegames. The way around the problem has generally been to start a new game with the skill level you have been using, and then to load a savegame. However, the problem you describe sounds different. Are you using 2.0.25 or 2.0.27? There might be savegame issues in 2.0.27; I don't know (I tested with 2.0.25). BTW, savegames are broken in the latest ZdoomGL beta (0.71), just in case you're being naughty and using that ;)

Thanks for the tip, but I already re-installed v.1.23 beta 33 :p

It's not so bad, I guess. When I played through the first level again, I had 60% more health and found all the secrets.

I downloaded License to Spell Doom, and wow. I've only played through the first two levels (found the secret level though) and it's fucking incredible. Keep making wads, Ultimate Doomer. Dsm or someone ought to write a novelization of this wad, it's so good =)

I have heard of Marathon but never actually seen it. Jenny hasnt heard of it either, she is a pure Doom Chick.

I actually used my own Mystic series of deathmatch wads for ideas, just improving on the original concepts. The Mystics were mostly inspired by a void type level I saw in Quake 3.

Thanks for the nice reviews, Im already working on some larger, more detailed and complex sequels.

Hyena said:

Thanks for the tip, but I already re-installed v.1.23 beta 33 :p

It's not so bad, I guess. When I played through the first level again, I had 60% more health and found all the secrets.

There is a similar bug in v1.23 beta 33 - the game reverts to skill 1 upon restarting, so you still have to start a new game before loading your savegame in. (after you've quit ZDoom and went back in later on)

(I got the bug in v25 as well, and I started a new game before loading the savegame, and it was fine)

Am I just missing it, or is there no easily accessable shotgun in the
first level... I'm fighting hordes of demons and imps with just a pistol;
even that group of former humans outside the outpost put a dent in my
health.

So far it looks great, but I haven't really gotten very far.

You don't get the shotgun until map02. You get the chaingun near the end of map01.

Actually I really like it that way. So many maps introduce the shotgun right at the beginning but this one makes you work for it.

If anyone has tried it out and is wondering why their health never goes above 100% and beserk packs don't work, try it with Zdoom V2. The "max health" settings and beserk kits don't work properly in ZDoom 1.23b33 but do in ZDoom 2.0.27

If anyone has had trouble downloading it from the archive, use the link on its homepage instead http://freespace.virgin.net/mc.howe/martin/bombay72.htm.

Finally, Bombay 72 wasn't designed with humour as the overall rationale as claimed in the review; although "barmy" it certainly is and I hope people get a good laugh out of it now and then, it is deadly serious: read the short story by van Vogt, it's been in dozens of SF anthologies. In particular, it is specifically designed to be able to play most normal levels properly.

The ones it'll have trouble with are those where the designer is expecting a long-range pistol or shotgun shot or where specific amounts of certain power-ups are provided in order to control the gameplay.

For example, pistol shots are impossible (slashing paws replaces pistol) and long-range shotgun shots are cheating (it's a bug that the super-punch works even works at all over distance -- it does so because it is based on the SSG).

I had trouble with it on some levels of Hell Revealed (mind you, who *doesn't* have trouble with Hell Revealed? :-)

Regards

Martin

FYI I've uploaded a new version of fenexam.wad, this one includes a zdoom version of the room-over-room effect which you can walk over and under. Not sure if its new or not but its usefull.

I like the z_exam, I have one of those in my own wads.

BTW, the thing at the end of Fenexam is nuckin futs!

I'm curious about why the maximum ammo was reduced by 25 to 50 percent. When I first started, I had about 145 bullets or so and I picked up a box of bullets. I ended up wasting 45 bullets before noticing the new limits.

I did that to make things more interesting (and perhaps a little harder) in the early maps, and to make things a little more realistic (100 big rockets = no no). I also hate running around with 400 bullets and 100 shells all the time (which is one of the few things I hate about pure Phobos episodes). It doesn't affect things much in the later maps though (except you can't run around with 100 rockets and 600 cells, which I don't really like doing in DooM 1 maps)

It was originally halved (100, 25, 25, 150 at the start), but I decided that was too tough for everyone else, so I raised it a bit.

When I first heard about the lower ammo limits, I was a bit sceptical, and expected it would mean a lot of tip-toeing around ammo boxes to avoid wasting them. However, it seemed to work out OK in practice, possibly because ammo was for the most part doled out in smaller quantities.

I still haven't found that Python reference. The "Machine that Goes Ping" rings a bell though - was that in Galaxy Quest? Or something else?

I think The Machine That Goes Ping was from the Monty Python series.

Anyway, a few things about map 5. First, it is possible to get to the room which has the laser control switch without needing the green key. Of course, hitting that switch early results in a nice, messy death. Second, outside in those two vats that have to be drained, if you jump in them after they've been drained, you'll get stuck. Also, the slime there does no damage. And finally, where is that red key? I can beat the map without it, but I'd rather explore all the map first.

Oh yeah, I changed my avatar to the Frost Lich for a few days, heheh.

And I just found a bug in the same map. In that small storage room which requires a green key (it's the one near the laser control room), if you open the door, walk inside, and face outside to look at the big main door, everything beyond that pipe underneath disappears into a terrible HOM. However, it only occurs when you're inside that storage room.

And as for the Frost Lich, do you mean the one that's in the game I'm making for Hexen, or is there another kind in another game somewhere?

Never mind about the red key. I found it.

Ichor said:

I think The Machine That Goes Ping was from the Monty Python series.

Anyway, a few things about map 5. First, it is possible to get to the room which has the laser control switch without needing the green key. Of course, hitting that switch early results in a nice, messy death. Second, outside in those two vats that have to be drained, if you jump in them after they've been drained, you'll get stuck. Also, the slime there does no damage. And finally, where is that red key? I can beat the map without it, but I'd rather explore all the map first.

Oh yeah, I changed my avatar to the Frost Lich for a few days, heheh.

Umm, I couldn't do anything there other than shutoff the outfall part. Everything else didnt work. I could kill stuff and open dorrs though.

I forgot what comes next, but I think you're supposed to find the blue key next.

By the way, I'm on map 7 now, and I don't know if it's your map or ZDoom, but map 6 (and it looks like 7 as well) seem to suffer from the worst case of bad reject I have ever seen in a map. Not a single one of the over 400 monsters in map 6 attacked me before I attacked them first. I could walk up to them, even bump into them, but they will not attack unless I shoot them first. I could run around with my chainsaw killing enemies all the live long day, although using a chainsaw on a Baron of Hell is not really the wisest thing to do.

Ichor said:

By the way, I'm on map 7 now, and I don't know if it's your map or ZDoom, but map 6 (and it looks like 7 as well) seem to suffer from the worst case of bad reject I have ever seen in a map. Not a single one of the over 400 monsters in map 6 attacked me before I attacked them first.

Well, I didn't find that at all - they were all too willing to attack me (you are talking about E4M6 and E4M7 of 007LTSD, right?). It is true that there are some areas of some of the maps where the monsters are frozen in place, but these are areas that are not meant to be accessible at that point, and they are unfrozen by the time you reach them. Also, when in the "frozen" state, they are invulnerable (I hit one such sergeant with several BFG blasts just to check). Which Zdoom version are you using?

I used v25, which isn't available for download any more. I'll test it with v27, and see if that is causing the problem...

No, it seems fine in v27. That's me out of ideas.

It was fine up until map 6. After that the monsters weren't aggressive. The odd thing is that when I used warp, it all seemed fine. I guess I'll just have to use warp to start a new game at map 6 and just continue on from there.

I've never come across that before, on 1.23b33 or v25. And it can't be the SetPlayerProperty being set on notarget by mistake, as if it was, then I would have been affected as well (which I wasn't) and besides, I only used the notarget property once (in map 4).

The HOM in the security room is a bug connected to using Transfer_Heights, and I don't know why it does it. (as I have loads of 2 storey rooms and that's the only one with a hom)

ravage: you can't shortcut to the lasers, as the switches won't activate before you enter the room through the door. And (unless I've made a hideous error) you shouldn't be able to leave the map without blowing up the chemical weapons store.

Grazza: The machine that goes Ping! was in The Meaning of Life.