Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The Ultimate DooMer

The /newstuff Chronicles #108

Ultimate DooMer said:

The HOM in the security room is a bug connected to using Transfer_Heights, and I don't know why it does it. (as I have loads of 2 storey rooms and that's the only one with a hom)

There is also a HOM (or something similar) in E4M6 if you go and have a look at the collapsed area after the airstrike. What exactly you'd expect to see, I'm not sure though.

Ultimate DooMer said:

Grazza: The machine that goes Ping! was in The Meaning of Life.

Oh yes. Well, I've only watched that film about four times; no wonder I didn't remember it too well.

License to spell doom kicks ass. I haven't had any show stopping bugs with it yet, apart from the fact I can get lost easily ;). I'm using 1.23-B33 as well.

Ultimate Doomer - Actualy, it was me who mentioned the red key and the laser control room in map 5. Once you make it into the inlet room, all I had to do was to grab a radiation suit and jump into the pipe leading out to the map exit. I didn't even need to pick up the explosives. In fact, I don't think I even need to deactivate those lasers. Once I found those emergency inlet controls which raised the pipe covers, I could leave the map. Before I managed to find the red key, I thought it was a key to a big secret area and not necessary to finish the map (like the yellow key in E1M3).

I'm sure there are many ways to fix this problem, but the easiest I can think of is to change the door leading to the inlet controls from green to red.

Changing the door from green to red won't work, as you can still leave the map without blowing up the chemical weapons store. I'll have to put a mechanism in to block you from leaving until you've set the timers in the stores.

(damn, there's always something wrong with it. I guess I'll have to update it, as these are major problems not minor ones. But if you follow the mission objectives, you'll play the full map)

Lord BaZTarD: If you're using 1.23b33, I recommend adding -heapsize ** (where ** is 16 or more) to the command line in order to avoid any possible trouble in the later maps.

Maybe keep the last pipe closed until you set the explosives.

And about that notarget bug in maps 6 and onward: if I go to the storage room in map 5, when those six Barons appear, they do not attack. Mmaybe they're not supposed to during the announcement, but when I start out to the last pipe, they still do not attack, as if they never woke up. From then on, every monster on every map has notarget set, even those Lost Souls on the way out. The odd thing is that if I bypass the storage room (I know I'm not supposed to, heheh) and just leave the map, the monsters attack me on map 6 like they should.

Ichor said:

The odd thing is that if I bypass the storage room (I know I'm not supposed to, heheh) and just leave the map, the monsters attack me on map 6 like they should.

Ah, that might explain why I didn't experience those problems; I'm pretty sure I bypassed it too.

Ultimate DooMer said:

ravage: you can't shortcut to the lasers, as the switches won't activate before you enter the room through the door. And (unless I've made a hideous error) you shouldn't be able to leave the map without blowing up the chemical weapons store.

What shortcut? This on the refinery right?

Try jumping into the laser control room from the stairs. Then hit that switch (you might want to save the game first).

Ichor said:

Maybe keep the last pipe closed until you set the explosives.

And about that notarget bug in maps 6 and onward: if I go to the storage room in map 5, when those six Barons appear, they do not attack. Mmaybe they're not supposed to during the announcement, but when I start out to the last pipe, they still do not attack, as if they never woke up. From then on, every monster on every map has notarget set, even those Lost Souls on the way out. The odd thing is that if I bypass the storage room (I know I'm not supposed to, heheh) and just leave the map, the monsters attack me on map 6 like they should.

Ahh, I can see what you're doing - you're leaving by the main door. After the announcement, you have to think Bond (what does he do to escape the chemical weapons store in Goldeneye?) and leave by another route besides the main door (doing this turns the notarget off). I'm going to stop you from leaving by the main door and upload it in a little while.

I may know why all the monsters in the communications area are dormant. Check the guards in the storage area in the refinery. That may be it.
Oh, and I used the pipes to escape.

I just started playing Ultimate Doomer's episode. It's sweeet. I'm using gemma.gemma so i guess i should update before going any further and start over. It sucks that these new zdooms wipe my savegames! Anyway i'm really enjoying the episode! I hope you're around when i start my zdoom project, cause i'm gonna have a whole mess of scripting questions! ;]

Ok, another problem. In map 6, once I got the airstrike marker, instead of going straight to the main dish, I decided to go to the piperoom (needs green key) to pick up that energy cell pack that I left behind for later. As I crossed the spot where the barricade used to be, it activated the airstrike script (red key is accessible, countdown, boom). Since I was nowhere near the main dish when this was triggered, there was no possiblity of getting that red key. Fortunately, I saved my game, so it wasn't a problem. Even after I set the marker and got the red key first, I went back into the piperoom, and the script ran again.

By the way, it's a lot more fun when the enemies fight back.

I can see what's causing it (a duplicate lineid on script 16 - lineid 16 is already used - if you wish to fix it, change it to 42), but that's never happened to me, as I've always cleaned out that area before getting the airstrike marker. (and I've played it several times, too)

Damn, I've just updated it on the archives as well...

That's the trouble with ultra-complicated non-linear maps, you never play every single combination of ways to go, places to revisit etc.

Oh well, I guess you all deserve an apology for all the trouble it's caused (and a thankyou for pointing all these bugs out). It's certainly been a ZDoom learning curve...

Use3D: If you're going to start over (unless you already have), it might be worth knowing that Ty has just moved the updated version into newstuff. (at archives.3dgamers.com, not the mirrors) I've fixed all the bugs/shortcuts apart from the one Ichor just mentioned.

I finally made it past the whole thing (this time with active enemies) and I haven't found any other huge bugs. The Black Knight was actually quite easy to beat, if you knew where to aim. The hardest part about map 8 is trying to make it to that abort button in time. It got to the point where I had to bypass a bunch of enemies in order to reach it. Once it was over, I could come back and get them all later, but a few Cacodemons kept getting in the way in the Cyberdemon battle.

One thing sort of puzzled me about the blue area. I had to look for a dead body, but there were tons of dead demons that might have been just as useful. Oh well, heheh...

Ichor said:

One thing sort of puzzled me about the blue area. I had to look for a dead body, but there were tons of dead demons that might have been just as useful. Oh well, heheh...

Yes, I found that odd too, though in a slightly different way. I spent ages coaxing a cacodemon over one of the tanks, and managed to kill it so that it fell in, but nothing happened. Fortunately a hint popped up on screen before too long. [Oh, and they are Kelvin units, not degrees Kelvin :p]

Gee, now why didn't I think of that, heheh?

I can just imagine how that went...

Heeeeeeeerrre hissy hissy hissy... Niiiiicce cacodemon. Come get the nice, tasty human. Come on...that's it...juuuuuusst a little closHEY! Where do you think you're going? Get back over here, stupid! Don't pay any attention to that Lost Soul, he has no meat on his bones...shoots Lost Soul..There, that's bettNow where are you going?

And so on...

I am enjoying 007ltsd, almost finshed now. I haven't seen this one mentioned, or if it has been, I didn't recognise the description:

It is possible to get onto the dockside too early on map3.

If you wander up to the vehicle with the big shawn2 scoop on the front, just behind it is an easy diagonal jump (not even needing the jump button) to get you round the back of the wall and on to the dock where you will meet lots of lovely dormant monsters just waiting to beactivated at some later point.

I mentioned that earlier. He told me something like 'pretend it doesn't exist'.

As for James Bond, map 4 has a reference or two to Dr. No (well, sort of).

The blue room in map 8 also refers to a Bond film...(as does the storage area that everyone bypasses)

It's also been updated on the archives, but don't go to the trouble of downloading it again unless you intend to replay it (or if you have an insanely fast modem and want to d/l it again).

I have an annoucement to make: I'm not doing /newstuff #109.

The reason is that I have fallen into that horrible void of Online RPGs. I'm sure you all know what I'm talking about here. Unfortunately, all of those who have been waiting to slit my controlled ego will have to wait until #112 to get their opportunity. By then, I will most likely starting to get bored of it again. I won't say who is doing it this week, but he is willing to take shit from all of you mediocre mappers.

The biggest upset for me is that I don't get to review Alien Vendetta, but oh well, we're all humans, we have our "habits". For the obvious reason of dragging more people into my current trap, I won't disclose what RPG I'm currently playing.

Well, good luck on that RPG that you’re forever questing at.

Edit: OK so that probably not it, but that the only online RPG I could think of ATM.

Ultimate DooMer said:

I know who's doing 109....and it's not myself or Hyena (or Grazza).

who then?. say it now!... :)

Ct_red_pants said:

Well, good luck on that RPG that you’re forever questing at.

Edit: OK so that probably not it, but that the only online RPG I could think of ATM.

commerical online rpgs suck.