Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ASON-Z-

New Doom soundtracks

Before I really get into the point of this topic, I want to state that I absolutely love Micks work on the new games.

They're kickass, memorable, and Iconic in every sense of the word, and definitely fit Doom. 

Now with that being said, I kind of wish they had a more thrash metal style like in the Classics.

Doom 2016/Eternal obviously have a more Nu Metal/Metal core vibe to them.

As a hardcore metal fan, I don't particularly enjoy those genre's. But in Micks case, I rather like it.

But I guess we should be happy that we got a metal soundtrack at all considering at one point in 2016's development,

some jackass at Bethesda told Mick specifically not to make a metal soundtrack. Thank Satan that Mick gave them the finger.

I'm interested to see what others thoughts are.

I like the Mick-era stuff too. BUt I personally think the Hulshult (spelling?) and Levy ones match Doom more in some ways, thanks to the more overt thrash vibe.

Not really a case of which is better or worse overall though. All the Nu-Doom's have banger OST's regardless.

The new music style goes hand-in-hand with the frenetic battle style that they started growing in D2016 and they kept following in DE. Classics had frenetic moments, but in D2016/DE that aspect was maximized over 100%, so it's understandable if they make more energic music.

Also, as a side note, I must say that I liked the new TAG2 soundtrack, more than the TAG1 one. But, also, I must say that the one from the main campaign is way more enjoyable.

I said it a couple of times already and now I am saying this for the last time:

Obviously Mick's music in 2016 and eternal is a masterpiece, he established himself as an absolute legend and will be remembered forever among gaming community.

David Levy tries his best, his music is clearly inspired by Gordon's work. I really like how he combnies guitar and synths <3. End credits music from TAG 2 is my favorite piece from TAG 1 and 2. He is not as good as Mick (but he is getting closer with every game :D) but way better than... Andrew.

Andrew Hulshult didn't meet triple A title standars to say the least. I like his Dusk ost and that one track from Q. champions (goroth?) but besides that I am not a fan of his work. The music is just so dull and uninspired, there is no melody at all and almost no variety just heavy guitar brrrrrrrrrrr. It may be okay for indie games but not for doom.

They may not be as good as Mick's, in my opinion. But they Are still bangers and I hope we get a proper Soundtrack release for Ancient gods. It's about damn time Andrew Hulshult gets some recognition in the Triple A music Scene.

Edited by jazzmaster9

Adding to my original take-away; just been listening to "Immora PT.1" outside of the game, and holy shit... I love it. I'm honestly a bit lost as to how anyone who has liked the Nu-Doom OST's so far wouldn't like the TAG stuff in general, this one in particular. Definitely got a lot of thrash-meets-Gordon-era vibes from it. 

10 minutes ago, Taurus Daggerknight said:

Adding to my original take-away; just been listening to "Immora PT.1" outside of the game, and holy shit... I love it. I'm honestly a bit lost as to how anyone who has liked the Nu-Doom OST's so far wouldn't like the TAG stuff in general, this one in particular. Definitely got a lot of thrash-meets-Gordon-era vibes from it. 

I liked it too. Levy is on a good way to become new Mick Gordon, I am looking forward to his future works.

17 hours ago, jazzmaster9 said:

They may not be as good as Mick's, in my opinion. But they Are still bangers and I hope we get a proper Soundtrack release for Ancient gods. It's about damn time Andrew Hulshult gets some recognition in the Triple A music Scene.

This. Yet there's still no official OST release outside of Collector's Edition. If there's a better time to actually release it on physical media and streaming services, it's now.

32 minutes ago, Vic Vos said:

This. Yet there's still no official OST release outside of Collector's Edition. If there's a better time to actually release it on physical media and streaming services, it's now.

I'm hoping there aren't any rights/legal issues with the music for the base game that's gonna prevent any further digital release for them.

When you can hear it! It's mixed so low in the overall sounds of the game that I barely noticed it while playing. I had to go to YouTube to hear it properly.

Maybe it's just me, but I find the DLC soundtracks are absolutely competently made and very fitting, but also much less memorable. I mean you take something like the BFG Division motif (which comes from The Demon's Dead) and how that kind of became the "theme" for Doom 2016/Eternal (to some degree) and just how memorable it is, how recognizable it is and how it can get stuck in your head, and then compare that to the DLC combat music. I just can't think of any of them specifically. They sound great in the moment, but for me personally, they don't stick with you. 

1 hour ago, LVENdead said:

Maybe it's just me, but I find the DLC soundtracks are absolutely competently made and very fitting, but also much less memorable. I mean you take something like the BFG Division motif (which comes from The Demon's Dead) and how that kind of became the "theme" for Doom 2016/Eternal (to some degree) and just how memorable it is, how recognizable it is and how it can get stuck in your head, and then compare that to the DLC combat music. I just can't think of any of them specifically. They sound great in the moment, but for me personally, they don't stick with you. 

Blood Swamps with its "One" style drums, the Immora tracks, even the end-credits of TAG 2 don't stand out at all to you?  Was pretty floored by them myself really... (the end credit track being the only good thing to come out of that final battle...yes, I'm still mad). 

14 minutes ago, Taurus Daggerknight said:

Blood Swamps with its "One" style drums, the Immora tracks, even the end-credits of TAG 2 don't stand out at all to you?  Was pretty floored by them myself really... (the end credit track being the only good thing to come out of that final battle...yes, I'm still mad). 

Somehow i didn't really noticed the Songs in Game as much, while i pretty like them when hearing outside.

Volume is up, i want to feel them :>

1 hour ago, Taurus Daggerknight said:

Blood Swamps' music was, imo, not great. Maybe it's just my particular ear, but the high pitched repeating guitar loop makes me want to throttle someone.

Task failed successfully?

26 minutes ago, Rytrik said:

Blood Swamps' music was, imo, not great. Maybe it's just my particular ear, but the high pitched repeating guitar loop makes me want to throttle someone.

Task failed successfully?

Well, given the point of the game.... :D 

But hey, fair enough. Different strokes and all that. I just personally dig the more thrash/ riff based stuff compared to the glitch-rock focus. But again, as noted, I do like them both, and would hardly say Gordon's music was "lesser" or "GARBAGE!" by any means. 

49 minutes ago, Taurus Daggerknight said:

Well, given the point of the game.... :D 

But hey, fair enough. Different strokes and all that. I just personally dig the more thrash/ riff based stuff compared to the glitch-rock focus. But again, as noted, I do like them both, and would hardly say Gordon's music was "lesser" or "GARBAGE!" by any means. 

The thrash and riff is fine, but when 45 seconds of a guitar loop is repeated incessantly throughout the level , that's when I lose my patience for said music. 

4 hours ago, Taurus Daggerknight said:

Blood Swamps with its "One" style drums...don't stand out at all to you? 

Blood Swamps is about the only one. I'm not saying the other tracks aren't good, but I guess to my ear there is some quality to how Mick wrote the melodies that stick with me that I don't experience in the DLC tracks. It could honestly have a lot to do with how many homages to Bobby Prince's music there are in Mick's tracks versus almost a complete absence of them in the DLC music? 

5 hours ago, LVENdead said:

Blood Swamps is about the only one. I'm not saying the other tracks aren't good, but I guess to my ear there is some quality to how Mick wrote the melodies that stick with me that I don't experience in the DLC tracks. It could honestly have a lot to do with how many homages to Bobby Prince's music there are in Mick's tracks versus almost a complete absence of them in the DLC music? 

I think you're right about the homages. 2016 & Eternal's tracks felt like a love letter to 90's Doom music. 

Edited by Rytrik