Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DutchDoomer

Any Raspberry Pi Doomers here? couple questions

hey guys!,

my pc died , so im about to order a raspberry pi online to still get my doom fix

i mean do have a xbox series s but theres only a handful of wads you can play and bethesda is a little slow adding them :P

so i thought maybe id grab a pi since there i can play all these wads just like you can on pc?

im not into mods just vanilla play but with wads like alien vendetta,etc.

im wondering tho are there any doomers here that do this as well?

how does doom run?

what ports does the pi have and use?

is it fullspeed (fps) ?

before i buy i wanna know if its even worth it i do want 60fps tho since im used to that so no 35fps ports unless you can make it run 60

what you think? good plan?

23 minutes ago, DutchDoomer said:

hey guys!,

my pc died , so im about to order a raspberry pi online to still get my doom fix

i mean do have a xbox series s but theres only a handful of wads you can play and bethesda is a little slow adding them :P

so i thought maybe id grab a pi since there i can play all these wads just like you can on pc?

how does doom run?

is it fullspeed (fps) ?

before i buy i wanna know if its even worth it i do want 60fps tho since im used to that so no 35fps ports unless you can make it run 60

I'm also curious about all this. I've also thought about getting a Pi and doing this. Will follow this thread :)

I can't give a whole lot of input here, but I have had success with Crispy Doom on my Pi 4 if I recall correctly. Performance was absolutely fine, only tried the IWADs though, no idea about other ports or any PWADs.

2 hours ago, almostmatt1 said:

I can't give a whole lot of input here, but I have had success with Crispy Doom on my Pi 4 if I recall correctly. Performance was absolutely fine, only tried the IWADs though, no idea about other ports or any PWADs.

yeah thats the thing i want to know how more advanced wads will run other then the regular iwads ;p

2 hours ago, Doom-X-Machina said:

I'm also curious about all this. I've also thought about getting a Pi and doing this. Will follow this thread :)

haha yeah seems like a fun project ;p

4 hours ago, DutchDoomer said:

hey guys!,

how does doom run?

is it fullspeed (fps) ?

If its only about playing Doom maybe search for an older Laptop or PC (small working Station?).

In that Way you could also play some other older PC Games and your possibilities to use it for other Stuff (as an Mediacenter for Example) are higher.

I am using my Laptop from 2012 with 4GB Ram and onboard Grafics connected to the TV in living Room to map, hear music and play Doom online when my Girlfriend is occuping my PC.

Edit:

Steam big Picture is also a big help if you want to use it more Console Like.

If you use Raspberry Pi OS, you can install most of the software in the Debian repository, which includes Chocolate Doom, Crispy Doom, PrBoom+, and Doomsday. Any WAD compatible with any of those ports will be fine. The repository also includes the Freedoom and Doom Shareware IWADs, though I imagine you'll still have copies of the commercial IWADs.

If you want to use a more advanced port like Eternity or *ZDoom, you most likely will need to compile them from source, because the Raspberry Pi has a different processor architecture from most PCs.

Edited by northivanastan

I play Doom on a Pi 3b+.

My taste tends toward vanilla, so I've never been disappointed by the Pi's performance. Lately, I mostly play Ancient Aliens, Eviternity, Sunlust and Rekkr in Prboom+.

I strongly prefer Doom in low resolution with no frame or movement interpolation, but I'll mess around a bit and report back to you. I think I have LZDoom installed but I don't deviate from Chocolate/Prboom very often so I forget.

Anything in particular you want me to try out?

If you were to get a Pi 4 I'm pretty sure you'd have nothing to worry about, unless you're trying to play, like, Project Brutality with post-processing fx.

edit: I should probably add, though, that if you can swing the money for a Pi 4 you might be better off getting an x86 stick pc for around $100. I went to great lengths trying to play stuff like Age of Empires and Fallout 2 on my Pi 3 and it's just not going to happen.

Edited by Aaron Blain

Buy a baller computer, let it mine while you play doom 2, it pays itself off in a couple months. Then keep mining or IDK, just have a free wild computer.

And if you guys think that's an exaggeration, you're out of touch. It might change - noone knows if bitcoin will stay valuable - but this advice was not inaccurate. 

Q: How do you know if someone has cryptocurrency?

A: They tell you.

This reminds me that I had meant to make a little Doom machine out of a Pi as well - I need to go back and dig it out!

PrBoom+, Crispy and Chocolate runs flawlessly on my 3B+. My suggestion for GPU config is 128MB for VRAM with Fake KMS driver, and running the full desktop version of Raspberry Pi OS without problems.