Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pikiii

Mod support

Back in 2018, it was hinted that Doom Eternal may support mods full-on later down the line after release. Was this ever given an update, and has this vision already been achieved?

A quick Google search shows "No Guarantee", "Long-Term Target".

Also

No Mod Support... Yet

Doom has always been associated with the mod scene, but last game's attempt to appease creators with the rigid Snap Map system fell flat. Id is rightfully moving away from Snap Map with Doom Eternal, but the game isn't quite ready to integrate mod support. However, that doesn't mean id isn't thinking about it.

"We've actually done things technically that are getting us closer to doing mod support, but it won't be immediate," Stratton says. "I think longer term. We made technical decisions years ago that we're still moving away from, and they're getting us closer to those kinds of things." 

It hasn't been a priority during this past year. It took their combined focus as a team, during a remote-work pandemic, to get the 2 DLCs out to customers. Now that that's out of the way, we'll see what id does (besides Invasion) with Eternal. 

tl;dr - No. Other things were much higher priority than mod support.

I really like the DE combat system. I'd love it to be exactly as it is for years, and the best way to achieve that is letting people to mod the game as flexibly as possible.

Just imagine being able to create mappacks with relative ease. I'd stick to DE as I am with old Doom games.

Currently there's something out called "horde mode" for Doom Eternal that allows for waves of monsters, so the game as it stands is sort of moddable, but it'd be interesting to see if id will allow full mod support for new maps. Here's the horde mode dev's twitter for more details: https://twitter.com/proteh_

horde mode is nutty and has a huge amount of custom stuff in terms of encounter set up. there's also the randomiser mod for the whole base game by i can't remember who right now. it's not proteh, it's a different modder

1 hour ago, Bridgeburner56 said:

horde mode is nutty and has a huge amount of custom stuff in terms of encounter set up. there's also the randomiser mod for the whole base game by i can't remember who right now. it's not proteh, it's a different modder

The enemy randomizer mods are by Proteh as well.

3 hours ago, AtimZarr1 said:

The enemy randomizer mods are by Proteh as well.

There's definitely another DE modder making content. I wanna say it's a name like Darkwave

35 minutes ago, Bridgeburner56 said:

There's definitely another DE modder making content. I wanna say it's a name like Darkwave

Delta? He made a Master Level campaign.

Plus a few others who have made Master Levels: Elizabethany, Kaiser_will, FaDa, and Allstin. 

1 hour ago, Rytrik said:

Delta? He made a Master Level campaign.

Plus a few others who have made Master Levels: Elizabethany, Kaiser_will, FaDa, and Allstin. 

ah that's the one. Delta

Cheers :D

*EDIT oh it was the master level mod that delta did (i think)

11 hours ago, Martin-CAI said:

I really like the DE combat system. I'd love it to be exactly as it is for years, and the best way to achieve that is letting people to mod the game as flexibly as possible.

Just imagine being able to create mappacks with relative ease. I'd stick to DE as I am with old Doom games.

That's another thing I'm interested in. What are the limits of Eternal? I don't expect it to be able to run an okuplok recreation, but how far can we go?

11 hours ago, Rytrik said:

A quick Google search shows "No Guarantee", "Long-Term Target".

Also

It hasn't been a priority during this past year. It took their combined focus as a team, during a remote-work pandemic, to get the 2 DLCs out to customers. Now that that's out of the way, we'll see what id does (besides Invasion) with Eternal. 

tl;dr - No. Other things were much higher priority than mod support.

Yep, that interview is what I'm talking about. I'm aware it couldn't be a priority with both of the DLC's being made, but I was mostly wondering if there were any updates on it, even a lone message on one of the Discord servers (did the idea fade away? has it succeeded already with current mod creation? etc). I'm very interested in how the game will be developed and updated with nearly nothing in the way now.

Side note, apologies for making two replies like this, I hadn't realized you could quote multiple posts at a time.

I think the only thing left now in terms of development is the Invasion mode. Personally I hope that gets added, that was one of the things I was looking forward to before the initial release and the pandemic.

Considering what modders have managed to get up to so far, it would be interesting to see what more could be done with official support, even it's only marginal stuff like the ability to manage mods in-game or something like that. Does anyone have any idea what the likely limitations would be for any officially-developed modding API? Or is even that too much to hope for?

I doubt we will see it for Doom Eternal.  The next game I bet there will be official modding and even some level creation utilities.

Right now there is unofficial modding and at best Id might make things easier for modders to do things ...  like adding resources, BM Maps and DLC weapons/demons to the base game.  We can already add skins and change stats on stuff.

On 3/20/2021 at 12:40 PM, Pikiii said:

Back in 2018, it was hinted that Doom Eternal may support mods full-on later down the line after release. Was this ever given an update, and has this vision already been achieved?

There are some people making mods for Doom Eternal but AFAIK no custom models or textures or maps have been ported into the game so far. It's mostly gameplay tweaking, a horde mode and some Reshades. It will probably take a lot less time for these mod tools to be released since Id Software completely threw away the Mega Texture technology.

As much as I would love a full-fledged Doom SDK, I do not see it happening. I am also not optimistic about what would come from it. Maybe I'm just jaded given it's been 11 years since the beta for HeXen: Edge of Chaos came out.