Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jimmy

15 YEARS A DOOMER Mapping Contest - HIGHLIGHT REEL VIDEO UP! (pg. 7)

So um.

I was up at 7 AM working on my wad.

At least it's finished now. And I got 6 hours of sleep.

And I just discovered and fixed a bug that doesn't allow the mod to launch. why me

Thought I'd check out the opposition, as I'm struggling to get going on my map. Really liked @GamingGargoyle's Nukage City - a great blend of old-school Doom with UDMF. I was wondering how on earth you'd made so much map in 15 hours, based on the monster count and early game play. The final fight cleared that up for me - good stuff, though! I'd be interested to see more by you in this style without the time limit, if that's the kind of map you normally make!

Name: Last Saucer Off of Mercury
Map Format: UDMF
Ports Tested: ZDoom 2.8.1, GZDoom 4.4.2
Build Time: 15 hours mapping time, some additional hours for music and menu graphics
Textures: Jimmytex (run with jimmytex.wad)

IWAD: Doom 2

External PWADs: jimmytex.wad
Requirements: Freelook, jumping, and crouching allowed (but not necessary)

Music: "Joy Indefatigable" by Big Ol' Billy

Credits: Rain effect & decorations from Mercury Rain; sky from ROTT; logo uses fonts from Jang Pung 3 (Sega Master System) and Super Star Soldier (TurboGrafix 16); TITLE/INTERPICs based on a photo by kr3st0; exit sound from Arcane Dimensions + Wolfenstein 3D

Comments: The weather on this planet is terrible, time for a vacation! Uses Jimmy's famous Mercury Rain rain effect—this time as a hazard. The music was written specifically for this event--since it's a 15-hour contest for Jimmy's 15th Doomiversary, the tune is entirely in 15/8. Custom title graphics and M_DOOM included just for fun.

>>>>Download<<<<

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20210327_095810.png.6cfe3f14d322fdfd057eaacd32571a93.png

Edited by Big Ol Billy : spoilered screenshot per Jimmy's request :)

Great - I've just got to fit in somewhere around 8-9 hours mapping in that time, and try to make it a map that's competitive with Billy's... The struggle is about to get real...

Name: The many rooms of Caco's Castle
Ports Tested: GZDoom 4.5.0
Build Time: 15 hours give or take, plus testing and way too much time to figure out how to get GZDoom to run the zip file properly
Resources: Blood 1, modified versions of the Uzi, Glock and Grenade Launcher from Realm667
IWAD: Doom 2
Requirements: Custom palette rendering (Hardware or true color), Freelook optional due to grenades, no mods that replace the HUD or weapon animations

Music: "Ancient Sovereigns" by Jimmy

JimmyComp_CacosCastle_by_7Soul_1.1.zip

I've been wanting to do something with the Blood texture pack for a while, so I had to skip on using Jimmytex unfortunately. I also had a few weapons I wanted to try using so I decided to throw them in as well

As I started working on this I learned how to use portals, so I just went nuts with it and I hope I was able to create some fun situations, and that nothing breaks

Spoiler of what map this is based on @Jimmy don't read, let's see if you can guess:

Spoiler

I said don't

Spoiler

Based on Jimmy's Map 04 for Eviternity https://doomwiki.org/wiki/MAP04:_Regicide_(Eviternity)

Screenshot

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20210327_142758.png.ecbc4a5b2d66c1a4bdf031fabc37b513.png

Edited by 7Soul : Update 1.1

Name: The Plutonia Tea Party

Map Format: Limit Removing

Port tested - pr-boom plus v2.1.5test

Build Time: around 6 hours over three evenings.

Textures - Jimmytex.wad

External PWADs: Jimmytex.wad

Requirements: N/A

https://www.doomworld.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=120156

So inspiration mostly came from the more modern compact maps that Jimmy has made, in particular some of his Jiffy bag entries. So a simple plutonia styled compound. There is another reference found in a secret that also scores you the BFG.

Spoiler

jcb.png

Previous version 

jimmycb.zip

Edited by cannonball : Updated version put in here

Just now, Charbomber said:

Can the map be a re-make of a pre-existing map I've made? I wanna atone for my poor level design....

I believe recycling old maps is a no-go.

8 minutes ago, MFG38 said:

I believe recycling old maps is a no-go.

But that's just the thing, I'm not recycling it, I'm re-making it.

I'm not even using the base map as a reference, I lost the file a long time ago.

9 minutes ago, Charbomber said:

But that's just the thing, I'm not recycling it, I'm re-making it.

I'm not even using the base map as a reference, I lost the file a long time ago.

Should be fine in that case. Jimmy is ultimately the project host and I can't speak for him, though, so it's best to wait for his response.

Yeah... I'm gonna drop out.

Between my motivation being shot due to finding out that the map I was "paying tribute" to wasn't made by Jimmy (which caused me to procrastinate and basically run out of time) and also due to the fact that the newest version of SLADE is a buggy, crash-prone piece of shit - I'm gonna drop out.

Maybe I'll try my hand at that Maximum Doom project, at least the deadline there will give me some room to deal with the crashes.

Starting to sweat a little. I'm at under 5 hours left and I'm not altogether certain how I want to set up my combat encounters. 

Alright, donezo!

Name: Ghosts in the Undergrowth

Map Format: Boom

Ports Tested: PrBoom+, ZDoom

Build Time: 13 hours

Textures: Jimmytex + a sky included in the wad

Requirements: No jumping/crouching

Music: "Alice" by Jimmy (I tried making my own music for the map, but I need a looooooot more practice :P)

Based on a Jimmy project from a few years ago: I don't want to spoil which just yet, hopefully it should be obvious once you start playing. Thanks to General Rainbow Bacon and TheMionicDonut for testing!

Screenies! Spoilered to protect Jimmy's virgin eyes.

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20210328_173658.png?widt

Screenshot_Doom_20210328_173754.png?widt

Done.

Name: The Never

Map Format: Boom

Ports Tested: PrBoom+, Zandronum (I encountered some bugs when testing with PRBoom+ *)

Build Time: 15 hours

Textures: OTex

External PWADs: N/A

Requirements: N/A

Music: Through The Never by Metallica

I didn't have time to go through the Jimmy maps, sadly. So I just kind of winged it and tried to make it interesting!

*There were two bugs. One was an issue caused by a sky transfer and the bug just seemed to linger after I undid the transfer effect. The other bug was the player clipping partially through walls allowing them to squeeze through spaces they shouldn't be able to squeeze through. I didn't have enough time to fully look into a fix for these, so if this happens to anyone else in PRBoom+, try playing it in Zandronum.

The Never.rar

Edit: Adding screenshots and reference doodles

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20210328_112656.png

Screenshot_Doom_20210328_113018.png

20210203_094527.jpg

Edited by MDevlin

Apologies for this but I realised I needed to fix/tweak a couple of things (Mostly in respect to the secrets). This should be considered to be the final version.

jimmycb.zip

There are 30 hours remaining. That's plenty time for a map to be started and finished by whoever's reading this right now!

Two things:

- Placing your screenshots in spoilers will be very appreciated. I'm not super fussed if I know roughly what your map looks like beforehand, but I'd prefer to go into these maps completely unbiased, and oblivious to what awaits. :)

- Can I re-stress the importance of filling in the OP's info template! It will ensure that I run your map correctly when I come to stream.

Name: Shadow shaft
Filename: ShadowShaft.wad
Release date: 29/03/2021
Author: Dwango
Ports Tested: GZdoom
Build Time: 13
Textures: NIGHTMARE ANIMATIONS PAC

K by Nightmare/Tormentor667
External PWADs: Doom 2

Description: You are an explorer with a knack for taking on more than you can handle. a rumor is floating around about a local mine that has been abandoned but nobody is willing to tell you more. You decide the only way to find out what happened is to delve into the mine yourself with only your trusty pistol to keep you safe...

Notes : This is the first map I've shared outside my friend circle, so I am hoping it is received well. I wanted this level to focus on the horror aspect of doom, but when I reached the second half of the map I kind of lost sight of this and threw in a few medium-sized fights. but i did put special care into resource placements you will usually only have enough ammo for the fight you are in. I struggled with putting secrets in because any reward i give the player might trivialize the combat later. for example, I planned to put an SSG in the secret near the entrance but this would make the map wwaayy to easy especially during the final fight. anyway, thanks for taking a look at my map!

Spoiler

Shadowshaftscreenshot.png.8d4d7c7b2848f49697de43abc3b03f59.png

ShadowShaft.zip

Name: Terrible Representation
Map Format: Boom Compatible
Ports Tested: GZDoom 3.4.1, DSDA-Doom 0.17.1
Build Time: 14 hours (plus 36 seconds of line action fixing after the first one)
Textures: Jimmytex
Requirements: No Jumping/Crouching/Freelook, map built with complevel 9 in mind

Download: JimmyFinal.zip

I already sent one through email before realizing his address was in the video, but this one has a slight necessary correction for some texture stuff.

Screenshots 

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20210328_094142.png.fc456d2209aa75a68ccd0a14a6153bea.png

Screenshot_Doom_20210328_094308.png.43660f3accf5733c738ce180273ac0f9.png

Screenshot_Doom_20210328_094358.png.ee0b9a05fd46d176bdff1faeeb88b304.png

19 minutes ago, RonnieJamesDiner said:

Hey, sorry if I missed this somewhere, but are we allowed to use a custom sky texture? Or, are we encouraged to just stick with the vanilla skies? Thanks!

Any variety of custom assets is permitted, skies being one of them. :)

1 hour ago, Rince-wind said:

What's going on there?

I built the geometry based on a doodle I did a while back. These are actually large columns in the level.

I'll edit my previous post and add the screenshots 

The contest ends in 25 hours! Get those maps in! So far I believe we have 17 submissions. :)

Strictly speaking, my initial post says the contest ends at 6PM GMT. It still is, but daylight savings has occurred and pushed the clocks in the UK forward one hour, which complicates things a bit. The deadline won't be extended at all but I will be swapping to GMT+1 for all future times.

Bottom line: I'll be closing proceedings at 7PM my time (GMT+1) and then going live on Twitch an hour afterwards, at 8PM GMT+1. See you there!