Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jimmy

15 YEARS A DOOMER Mapping Contest - HIGHLIGHT REEL VIDEO UP! (pg. 7)

I do not have the power to participate on this...in 15 years i hope ill be here for this again ;)

Congrats @Jimmy, you are an example to follow and deserve the respect of all mappers.

Cheers!

Good luck to everyone!  A fantastic idea for a competition, and a hell of a prize too!

Sadly at my mapping speed I'd likely make a room and a half in 15 hours (but it would be a lovely room), so I'll leave the competition to you speed-mapper types.

Excited to see what comes out of this at the end!

I'd like to assume DeHackEd is as allowed as R667 content, which implies DECORATE, right?

Yes, I prefer DeHackEd over Deco. Don't mind me.

Custom content of any variety is allowed so long as it fits the idea you're going for. :)

Congrats Jimmy !

I'd have been glad to contribute something, but alas, free time comes at a premium for me these days and the deadline is already a mere 5 days away.
Wanted to use something from 30in30-5, hehe, it would've been the perfect opportunity. Plenty of nice stuff in there.

Oh well. Good luck to all the participants.

I'm almost done with the custom content, soon I will start building the actual map. I'm gonna need all the free time and focus I can acquire to fully finish this map in under 15 hours.

I hope you guys like Doom3!

Darn, I missed out on this one.

Best of luck to all of the mappers, and thank you Jimmy for being awesome!

Hey uh, Jimmy, what is your e-mail? I'm much more comfortable sending wads through private ways instead of just releasing it publicly right here in the thread.

Dumb question: We are still allowed to use vanilla textures, right?

Edited by Ar_e_en

1 hour ago, Vladguy said:

Hey uh, Jimmy, what is your e-mail? I'm much more comfortable sending wads through private ways instead of just releasing it publicly right here in the thread.

It's at 2:57 in the video in the OP.

18 minutes ago, Ar_e_en said:

Dumb question: We are still allowed to use vanilla textures, right?

Yes, of course!

I’ve got an inspiration, an idea, some mental images of areas and encounters in my head... I am, however, really struggling to open the editor. Not convinced I’m ready to get back to mapping yet, to be honest. Probably too much pressure on myself after my brush with success.

I’ll see what I can do, but don’t be too surprised if I can’t budge the inertia. Good luck to everybody else with this! It is a competition, after all, so there’s a winner out there somewhere.

Name: Techno Necro Terror

Map Format: Boom

Ports Tested: GZDoom, PrBoom Plus

Build Time: Around 7 to 8 hours

Textures: jimmytex.wad (already imported into the wad)

External PWADs: N/A

Requirements: N/A

Music: Sonic CD - Stardust Speedway Bad Future (USA)

Comments: I don't know whether or not I can only use Jimmy's midis or if I can use any midi I think is good. 

tnt01.png

tnt02.png

tnt03.png

techno_necro_terror.rar

Edited by LateNightPerson : Missing texture fixed, and a couple of items were added

This previous post raises a question on my side: are we supposed to integrate jimmytex.wad into our submissions?

1 hour ago, Alaux said:

This previous post raises a question on my side: are we supposed to integrate jimmytex.wad into our submissions?

You don't need to, just say in your submission info (template in the OP) to run it with jimmytex.wad and I'll do so when I come to stream it.

Name: The pain train
Map Format: UDMF (GZDOOM)
Ports Tested: GZDOOM
Build Time: 12 hours
Textures: Jimmytex texture resources
External PWADs: None, besides the base doom 2 iwad I guess
Requirements: no jumping, crouching and freelook

I'm semi-new to mapping but I had a lot of fun making this and I hope you have fun playing it!

Download:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/ugqovgfanika1sl/THE_PAIN_TRAIN.zip/file

682549171_2021-03-25(18).png.475e0cf799e13614731b9caa01776b53.png1936665180_2021-03-25(5).png.2d0de747ec756a6976b3cd93897fd260.png1975366211_2021-03-25(1).png.6f6006252d958e55016911562408da77.png

Name: All Malice in Wonderland
Map Format: UDMF
Ports Tested: GZdoom
Build Time: About 2 hours
Textures: Jimmytex
External PWADs: Doom 2
Requirements: Freelook, jumping, and crouching are allowed

Music: Map 09 Midi from Jenesis

Comments: This is inspired by Jimmy's secret map from 'Verse Hopper, but instead of being shaped like a spider, it is shaped like a butterfly. It has three new enemies and a new item, and takes place in a mystical wonderland. I hope it is fun!

Note: The map starts with two branching paths. I'd recommend the left one first, but both are possible to start with.

Here is the map.

Screenshot_Doom_20210325_103009.png

This is such a fun contest and initiative. And actual prizepool is rare.

Unfortunately I am not confident in my abilities, being very new to mapping and all, I will give it a try this weekend for the heck of it but can't promise I manage to create something. I remember liking Jenesis and played through the first map again after seeing this thread. If nothing else I was reminded of that wad, and actually paid attention to the "jimmylights" thanks to this thread hehe...

Good eye. I'd made some corrections to it but must've forgotten to remove the old patch.

I just checked the warning in UDB on starting my map, as it seemed odd that I'd broken something without laying a sector down! It's a nice texture set, by the way. Very "Doom2+" with some odd touches that I can see some people getting some fun use out of.

I think I may have to drop out. Turns out, the map that I was making, while it was inspired by one of Jimmys projects, the specific map that my work was gonna be based on was not made by Jimmy.

55 minutes ago, Ar_e_en said:

I think I may have to drop out. Turns out, the map that I was making, while it was inspired by one of Jimmys projects, the specific map that my work was gonna be based on was not made by Jimmy.

I think the "make something based off a Jimmy map" was more of a suggestion, and I see no reason to stop on that front alone.

22 minutes ago, General Roasterock said:

I think the "make something based off a Jimmy map" was more of a suggestion, and I see no reason to stop on that front alone.

Sure, but it kinda feels like I'm "paying tribute" to someone else, I mean - at that point I might as well just make an original map. I'll consider continuing the project, but my motivation is a bit wonky now.

Is it alright if I have a few friends *guide* me through custom asset creation? That and general crash coursing in UDMF because its alien but more efficient than doing 10 billion Doom 2 format workarounds.

Name: Kandingir Temple
Map Format: Boom
Ports Tested: GZDOOM 4.5.0
Build Time: About 9 hours
Textures: Jimmytex.wad
External PWADs: Doom 2
Requirements: No vertical mouselook, no crouching and no jumping

Music: You Got The Gunshot by James Paddock

Comments: This map is the result of an hour and a half long brainstorming session that caused me to lose sleep as I had so many ideas that I couldn’t tune them out.

Note: Pay close attention to the traps in the yellow key section. I clarify why in the text file but I think it is more fun to guess from the details provided in the level. Also This is my first released DOOM II map so I hope it is better that I think it is.

Kandingir Temple.PNG

Kandingir Temple.zip