Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
1Destro3456

Do mappers use Wolfenstein SS in maps/wads?

Personally, yes, but mostly on wolfenstein style maps. Also, i used them as a modified standing cultists in the megawad Mercuria (a fixed edition will come soon, pretty soon...)

The reason why people don't use them too much in modern maps with the expections of wolf 3D and joke wads are the fact that people nowadays finds them a joke / lame enemy for some reason.

It's exceptionally rare from what I've seen. Mostly used by newbie mappers who just throw everything at the wall. I think SS Officers are mostly ignored by mappers because they stick out like a sore-thumb and don't complement the rest of Doom's demons well at all. 

They are used only for replacing them with a custom monster through dehacked or decorate.

It's underused unfortunately. I get that the art assets don't really belong to Doom, but on gameplay terms it fills a significant niche as a hitscan enemy that's not as pathetic as a zombieman yet not as lethal as a chaingunner.

2 minutes ago, Andromeda said:

It's underused unfortunately. I get that the art assets don't really belong to Doom, but on gameplay terms it fills a significant niche as a hitscan enemy that's not as pathetic as a zombieman yet not as lethal as a chaingunner.

Actually, you're right here. It can be used with other doom monsters if it gets new sprites like in one of DBPs (the Aztec-themed one).

The WolfSS (and the Commander Keen prop while we're at it) were used as easter eggs, so obviously they stand out from Doom's bestiary. Some people may use them with a proper setting, but otherwise they would look out of place.

At least they're good vessels for DEHACKED monsters or simple sprite replacements.

In my first megawad I used them in a secret area along with the wolf textures. I find them really out of place like @Biodegradable mentioned. For Vilecore 1.2, I made replacement sprites and I need to do some dehacked work on them yet. So far I've used them sparingly even with the sprite changes.

yea but mostly for dehacked edits

sometimes you will see a wolfstain themed secret level here and there but i think not only do they stand out from the other demons they also dont really add anything to the "doom dance" thats why they dont get used much

I usually use them with my Skeleton SS spriteset and give them a bit mroe health than Chaingunners, so they are essentially tankier Chaingunners that don't fire as fast.

I love maps that use the SS men, mostly because I don’t see them often and because it gives the map a weird goofy feel that’s kinda fun. That said, I don’t use them much in my own maps because, well, they give it a weird goofy feel and usually I’m trying to maintain some kind of atmosphere that random tiny Nazis don’t vibe with very well. It depends on what you’re going for but I encourage you to experiment and make use of the SS men however you like. After all, Plutonia 2 MAP29 has hanging Billys and that map is awesome.

As has been said, they don't really fit in thematically. They also don't have a good niche, as they're highly inaccurate and as such don't do much damage. There's little reason to use them instead of other zombies.

I'm not a mapper, but, just like the commander keens, they can be used in dehacked patches, a good example is Ray Mohawk's Manic Monday by @Doomkid

The nazi guys are used as the green marines

1093270804_Capturadepantallade2021-03-2311-16-58.png.2f68bcec62dd3b41c4fbde95e49f866e.png

No never. Ever.

But this is mainly due to the fact that I don't map.

3 minutes ago, bLOCKbOYgAMES said:

No never. Ever.

But this is mainly due to the fact that I don't map.

That makes sense

Just now, 1Destro3456 said:

That makes sense

That said, I have been meaning to kind of get back into it (after a looooong hiatus).

Cheers. 

I've ran into the Commander Keens a lot more than the Wolf SS playing popular WADs. Besides ALT, the NDCP uses the SS in MAP32, and there's a few thrown in in MAP12 of Community Chest 3 for some reason.

I personally see no point to having them in a map. Commander Keen on the other hand is an easter egg in every major map I've released (all two and a half of them.)

3 hours ago, MidnightMage said:

I use them all the time.

But not in any serious mapping project as the modern mapping community has deemed the use of them inappropriate.

Cancel Culture strikes again. #JusticeForTheSSGuards #SSGuardsAreDoomMonstersToo

5 hours ago, bLOCKbOYgAMES said:

Cancel Culture strikes again. #JusticeForTheSSGuards #SSGuardsAreDoomMonstersToo

I never thought I would see the day that the Schutzstaffel would be treated so harshly.

I feel like SS (unmodded) is pretty good enemy, but pretty hard to use it in context. If you can do that, mapper should go for it.

On the other hand you will probably raise some eyebrows if you use SS outside map31/32 whatever you do.

I did that like 5 months ago in a project and some people were a bit weirded out about it.

14 hours ago, Shawny said:

I feel like SS (unmodded) is pretty good enemy, but pretty hard to use it in context. If you can do that, mapper should go for it.

On the other hand you will probably raise some eyebrows if you use SS outside map31/32 whatever you do.

I did that like 5 months ago in a project and some people were a bit weirded out about it.

is it actually that good of an enemy tho? it could very easily be replaced with a chaingunner and it'd be just as effective

6 hours ago, roadworx said:

is it actually that good of an enemy tho? it could very easily be replaced with a chaingunner and it'd be just as effective

I am pretty sure stats-vise chaingunners are a bit superior in every way.

Besides they have specific use if you don´t want to give player chaingun, but you want something stronger than a zombieman.

The map I'm working on right now has the player teleporting into what is supposed to be a set of pocket hell dimensions, each with their own style and monsters to face.

One of those areas uses the Wolfenstein textures and the SS enemies, so it's basically the same premise as the secret levels in Doom II, but it's just there as a quick encounter among up to five others.

On 3/23/2021 at 8:09 AM, 1Destro3456 said:

I was just wondering why I barely seen them on any wads 

Play more '94-'96 WADs that are rated below 3 1/2 stars in the archive.