Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sunnyfruit

The Dean of Doom series (companion thread)

I love this man's videos. He's essentially the DW Megawad Club, but better and much more compact and direct in his reviews. He clears out a megawad twice in a week, so his upload schedule is pretty consistent.

Love this video series. It's up there in the amount of anticipation I have for new videos along with Coincident's UV-Max runs and Decino's analysis videos.

Though I'll be forever mad he didn't give Alien Vendetta's 25th map the praise it deserves. It's perhaps my favorite map of all time.

I hope to see reviews for Scythe 2, Community Chest 4, Nova III, Bloodstain, Epic 2, Lunatic, and Japanese Community Project.

Yeah this is quickly becoming one of my favorite YouTube channels, I actually had an idea for a series like this a year or two ago, so it's exactly the sort of thing I like.

Hm, I've never actually heard of this guy, gonna give a few of his "Dean of Doom" vids a watch. He looks pretty cool.

Update: Just got done watching his "Going Down" video. He's a very interesting youtuber, gonna subscribe to him, I'm interested in this "Dean of Doom" series he has going.

Edited by GraphicBleeder

DoD has become one of my favorite Youtubers ever since i first got his Ancient Aliens review recommended to me!
I always wanted a Youtuber that reviewed WADs and, to be honest, he's better that what i wished for :D <3

I fuckin love his vids.
I dont really have the patience to play through megawads, so his videos really give me a sense of different wads. 

Same as Doomkid, the YT algorithm just recommended one of his videos to me a few weeks back. I found the video (his Alien Vendetta one, I think) to be well written and edited, and since there is so little Doom content focused on anything other than mods, filled a noticeable hole in my weekly dose of content. Plus, he sounds like Rayecevik, or maybe Spike from Cowboy Bebop. Naturally, I binged watched his whole back catalog in one day.

God damn it YouTube! Why can’t you recommend me stuff like this rather all the shitty life hacks and win/fail compilations!!!

Thanks so much for posting @Sunnyfruit! Looks like I’ve got an awesome series to watch through now :-D

I enjoyed these as well, although I find his rating system more confusing than anything else. :p

Watched a couple of vids and thoroughly enjoyed 'em. This guy's pretty good. Nice to see someone making videos about community WADs. I swear we need more Doom channels that put out regular videos like this.

Man, I was considering making a general thread for MtPain27's videos so we could post about our thoughts on them as they come out, but I wasn't entirely sure. Nice to see I wasn't the only one with the idea. Cheers for making it rd, and also curse you for beating me to the punch! ;^P

Good thread. MtPain's content is a fave of mine right now.

Also the "spider masterchef" is the best thing ever.

Speaking of the SoD episode, did anyone notice the Dean neglect to censor a couple cuss words while talking about Poison Ivy II, his most hated map in the set? An editing oversight, or an expression of genuine, unfiltered ire? Either way it kinda makes me chuckle. :P

Edited by Jimmy

MtPain's videos are some of the best in the realm of DoomTube.. The man is a natural reviewer. I know this isn't adding much to the conversation but him reviewing some of my content on his channel would make me ecstatic even if he thought it was shitty overall. Reading his thoughts about the Rowdy Rudy wads for the DWMC was a treat!

On 3/25/2021 at 11:55 PM, Jimmy said:

did anyone notice the Dean neglect to censor a couple cuss words while talking about Poison Ivy II, his most hated map in the set? An editing oversight, or an expression of genuine, unfiltered ire?

Honestly, not knowing whether to expect a "beeep" or an actual "FUCK / SHIT" makes it even funnier for some damn reason!

EDIT 1 year later: There's an older thread on Dean of Doom, just gonna link it for posterity:

his content is great and really reminds me of onemandoom but in video format

i think he was a bit too harsh on doom 2 but i can understand why

honestely his stuff is great

Well, I can't pass judgement on any of this because somehow I was unaware of this mans existence. I thought I knew of most of the best Doomtubers (including our resident Doomkid. You need to make more content hint-hint) but I have honestly never heard of Mt. Pain27. Then again maybe I have, I'm barely lucid at the moment.

Also, thanks RD for putting me onto this. I'm currently doped up on strong painkillers and recovering from the fact I just had my left eyeball plucked out of my skull. I'm still not really sure what's going on around me, besides a dim awareness that my left-eye is missing.

But at least I can now zone out and watch some Doom stuff. It will serve as a relaxing (i.e minimal effort) exercise for my currently struggling and befuddled brain. It's resisting all attempts of higher/logical thinking. 

Well I have some Doomtube binging to do, so if you don't mind I'll bid thee farewell.

Edit: Gah, now I'm know why the name rang a bell (outside maps). He's part of the Doom World community. I remember -I think- talking to him a few times in threads last year, nice guy. I wasn't aware he had a youtube channel though. I thought my memory would remain safe and unmolested from these meds. Apparently that was wishful thinking.  

Edited by Final Verdict

I've been considering trying to make one of these ""Dean of Doom" but not cuz i dont wanna copy pain man" videos as video editing practice but I never got around to it.

been watching the series since about S1E9 and it's really damn good, though.

1 minute ago, Final Verdict said:

Well, I can't pass judgement on any of this because somehow I was unaware of this mans existence. I thought I knew of most of the best Doomtubers (including our resident Doomkid. You need to make more content hint-hint) but I have honestly never heard of Mt. Pain27. Then again maybe I have, I'm barely lucid at the moment.

Also, thanks RD for putting me onto this. I'm currently doped up on strong painkillers and recovering from the fact I just had my left eyeball plucked out of my skull. I'm still not really sure what's going on around me, besides a dim awareness that my left-eye is missing.

But at least I can now zone out and watch some Doom stuff. It will serve as a relaxing (i.e minimal effort) exercise for my currently struggling and befuddled brain. It's resisting all attempts of higher/logical thinking. 

Well I have some Doomtube binging to do, so if you don't mind I'll bid thee farewell.

damn dude that doesnt sound too good

did you get into an accident and had to remove your eye?

Just now, forgettablepyromaniac said:

I've been considering trying to make one of these ""Dean of Doom" but not cuz i dont wanna copy pain man" videos as video editing practice but I never got around to it.

been watching the series since about S1E9 and it's really damn good, though.

me too but im just lazy

4 minutes ago, Final Verdict said:

Not to derail the thread, but that is fucking gnarly and sounds like hell.. :( Hope you recover well and that getting used to it proves easier than it sounds..

What a cool idea for a thread, @rd.! It pleases me greatly to see an established user open a 'dialog' of sorts with one of Doomtube's finest. In general, there seems to be a lack of high-level discussion about individual maps or sets thereof here on DW, which is understandable since there aren't exactly a wealth of opportunities for such discussion. The DWMC is more of a group writing exercise than a place for in-depth discussion, and there aren't really any other threads dedicated to specific sets.

I look forward to learning from this experiment, in terms of design and just general analysis.

Awesome thread @rd. :-D

I too steer clear of YouTube comments but have been dying to discuss this series!

I actually find the rating system pretty useful personally!

For instance if I see a “F” with difficulty “X” I know it is probably a bullshit map. But if I see an “A” with a difficulty of “X”, you know I’m downloading that puppy the moment the video is over :-P

Also, gotta say I love the asshole pain elemental that sits down the back of the class :-P Mtpain’s style of humour has really come out more in his more recent episodes and I frigging love it!

ooh! this is a great idea for a thread, i absolutely love his videos and having somewhere to have in-depth reflections on them would be great, because the youtube comment section is absolutely not the place for that

also, i gotta say - every single episode that comes out seems to be better than the previous one. it's great seeing him improve over time :)

Yeah I love the Dean of Doom series. I thought for a long time that the Doomtube community could use a channel in his style and it was good fortune that it landed in his hands. He's an extremely good writer. 

I've also been enjoying his videos a lot.  This might sound kind of heretical, but there's a decent whack of older megawads that it's unlikely I'll ever find the time to play through myself, so from a "history of Doom content" point of view having a thorough summary of each megawad is a really nice way of learning about it in detail without needing to actually spend the time playing through it.