Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sunnyfruit

The Dean of Doom series (companion thread)

This was the first time I heard of Lost Civilization. Based on mapper's name, a fellow countryman even. I was cooking dinner when I put on the latest Dean episode, and didn't realize this at first :-D (be it finnish national low self esteem, when it delights us to hear us mentioned, torille käypi tiemme ja siellä me tapaamme).

And after watching the Dean episode, I can only marvel at how this wad has escaped me, either by my own blindness or criminal underappreciation of the community. Gets a high position on my "Up next" tab on DoomLauncher.

Well, I certainly didn't expect to get a shoutout! I'm kinda shocked. I'm very, very glad that he not only listened to me and rd about playing this, but that he enjoyed it as much as he did. He nailed everything perfectly about why I like this WAD. Yeah, the combat plays second fiddle to the visuals, but I do not care. These maps are jaw-droppingly gorgeous, and delightful to explore. I really hope more people check this WAD out.

Lost Civilization is great, I heard of it through the Cacowards and I'll be glad if more people hear of it through Dean of Doom. The visuals and sense of exploration are superb, and the music choices, while not your typical Doom fare, are very pleasant and fitting (on a side note, I like how Dean of Doom gives the music the time to shine rather than talk over it all the time). I wouldn't even say the gameplay is lacking, it's just not focused on sending you through a gauntlet of combat challenges; the nonlinearity alone is enough to make repeat playthroughs worthwhile. Some of the highlights to me are:

MAP02 - a great early map showing what Lost Civilization's all about

MAP04 - a sprawling adventure that feels like a real journey and rewards you for caring to explore it

MAP11 - love the nighttime aesthetic and the transition to daybreak)

MAP12 - I really like the way buildings look in this WAD, and who could forget that supermarket?

MAP13 - the busyness of a good "Downtown" map befitting its map slot, with the comfiness of Lost Civilization's earlier maps

I think Lost Civilization is at its best when the maps aren't just a single place, but a set of connected places. MAP04 is the obvious highlight in this regard, but there are also things like the trek through the swamp in MAP11, the different sections of MAP12, and the resort on the outskirts of MAP13. In a lesser WAD these may have been split into multiple maps, but when they come together it's greater than the sum of its parts.

I agree with the Dean in that Lost Civilization loses some steam in the later maps, and I wasn't much a fan of maps 10 and 19, but fortunately it ends strong with MAP20.

Looking forward to the next season of Dean of Doom, whenever that may be!

22 hours ago, RHhe82 said:

This was the first time I heard of Lost Civilization. Based on mapper's name, a fellow countryman even. I was cooking dinner when I put on the latest Dean episode, and didn't realize this at first :-D (be it finnish national low self esteem, when it delights us to hear us mentioned, torille käypi tiemme ja siellä me tapaamme).

And after watching the Dean episode, I can only marvel at how this wad has escaped me, either by my own blindness or criminal underappreciation of the community. Gets a high position on my "Up next" tab on DoomLauncher.

Torille, torille! :-D

OH DELINQUENT YOU RASCAL

Now when is our favorite meatball gonna make up something that everybody will love? Not to bash on what they've made for this video, it's... beautiful...

Out of interest, is there a running scoreboard from the Dean of Doom series with the WADs/Maps listed in order of rating?

Have really enjoyed the channel but would love to see a high-level view of where WADs/Maps stand relative to each other.

Thanks.

2 hours ago, ImproversGaming said:

Out of interest, is there a running scoreboard from the Dean of Doom series with the WADs/Maps listed in order of rating?

Have really enjoyed the channel but would love to see a high-level view of where WADs/Maps stand relative to each other.

Thanks.

on mtpain's patreon he has an excel gradebook, i'm not sure if it's publicly available though. @MtPain27?

1 hour ago, msx2plus said:

on mtpain's patreon he has an excel gradebook, i'm not sure if it's publicly available though. @MtPain27?

It's a $1 patron perk. I don't plan to make it public.

Makes perfect sense. Really enjoy the series so will look into joining (not for the gradebook, but just to say thanks generally). Really appreciate your approach and how you run it. Keep up the great work!

4 minutes ago, MtPain27 said:

It's a $1 patron perk. I don't plan to make it public.

Call me stupid but I really thought it was a BPRD wad...

Nevertheless , it would be interesting to see a video about his obscure episode "Doom Lands" ;)

It had me fooled too - it starts out kind of believable and slowly becomes more of a joke, and then you're like "well BPRD does weird maps and these are his unfinished ideas", so you give him the benefit of the doubt. I didn't even start to think it was a joke WAD until MAP31, when in hindsight MAP10 or MAP11 should have been what tipped me off.

MtPain's April Fool's videos are a standard all other YouTubers should strive for so they stop flooding our subscription feeds with low-quality, unfunny, dog shit each year.

2 hours ago, Biodegradable said:

MtPain's April Fool's videos are a standard all other YouTubers should strive for so they stop flooding our subscription feeds with low-quality, unfunny, dog shit each year.

I thought Decino's one was pretty decent

Count me among the people who were fooled for the first half. I actually made a comment that (unintentionally) strongly hinted that it "couldn't" be a B.R.P.D. wad, and had to alter it by the end of watching the episode to not totally spoil the joke for others!

I initially thought that MtPain had taken the bait, in my mind I figured that it wasn't him likely, so I had assumed someone was trying to prank MtPain as an April fools joke.  I was right, but not in the way I expected.  

Man, graduations always end up being a somewhat emotional affair. Seeing all the wads that were covered in the season re-living the highs and the lows does a lot to give the season an identity, and some closure.

I also really liked the crystal clear announcement that the series will, one day, come to an end, and rather sooner than later. I'm hoping to see a fourth season, but if season 3 turns out to be the last one, it will be great, too.

12 minutes ago, Shepardus said:

MtPain27 did the impossible and turned the Sunlust episode into something his fans don't want to see.

For my part, I don't want an episode on Sunlust but rather on Kama Sutra before the Dean of Doom ends. :p

26 minutes ago, Shepardus said:

MtPain27 did the impossible and turned the Sunlust episode into something his fans don't want to see.

Wasn't much interested in a Sunlust episode myself even before this (seriously what is with everyone recommending Sunlust to every Doom youtuber).

But now I really really don't want to see it happen. :(

If mt. Pain does any ribbiks mapset other than Sunlust then I’d like to see him do magnolia or finely crafted fetish film. Specifically the 2nd of those options as it is very unique, has very interesting atmosphere, and it has very little coverage anywhere as far as I know.

7 hours ago, Nefelibeta said:

What about Stardate20x7. >:((((

What about Finely Crafted Fetish Film .-.

6 hours ago, Jacek Bourne said:

If mt. Pain does any ribbiks mapset other than Sunlust then I’d like to see him do magnolia or finely crafted fetish film. Specifically the 2nd of those options as it is very unique, has very interesting atmosphere, and it has very little coverage anywhere as far as I know.

king opinion, thank you

One last thing.....this season established Deans opinions on what his GOAT map 01 (Subway Sandwich from Heartland) and map 30 (Haunting Dreams from Scythe 2) are. 

Im personally interested to know what everyones opinion is of this. 

His Map01 is something I can definitely get behind (Scythe 2/Valiant/OG Plutonia are contenders too IMO), but as far as his map 30 goes (and as much as I love Haunting Dreams), I feel it could conceivably go to other wads, though depending on finale-type. Kama Sutra/Going Down/TNT Revilution are obv the best Icon of Sin maps, Valiant has the best boss finale (no contest), and I feel the non-Icon finales of Scythe/180mpv/BlueAge/Resurgence are incredible in their own rights too.

With the end of season three of Dean of Doom already looming large in the distance, here is my list of wads that i still hope to see covered before the final curtain falls on this most beloved celebration of custom Doomdom: 

MM2, Eternal Doom, Requiem, STRAIN, Kama Sutra, Deus Vult 1 & 2, Reverie, A.L.T., Jenesis, Sunder (😜), Plutonia Revisited CP, Doom the Way id Did 1 & 2, dead.wire, dead.air, Erkattäññe, Comatose, No End in Sight, Preacher, and 1000 Lines 3.

I'm sure we'll see some of these classics reviewed before the end, but, alas, no doubt many will remain unreviewed for evermore...

Edited by Gregor

i hope he revists older wads, maybe with a twist, to see if the grades or his opinons about a wad have changed (maybe he could even try the community midi packs for doom, tnt, plutonia and alien vendetta)

5 hours ago, Nembras said:

I also really liked the crystal clear announcement that the series will, one day, come to an end, and rather sooner than later. I'm hoping to see a fourth season, but if season 3 turns out to be the last one, it will be great, too.

I Mean, he did say that if he will do other episodes it probably be acted as a side project, maybe they will get better quality as a result maybe, but one thing is for certain, he has other passions other than doom for sure and to be honest i do hope to see his movie eventually.

Edited by Redead-ITA