Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
rd.

a Dean of Doom series companion thread

On 4/14/2021 at 5:43 PM, Bauul said:

The latest Dean of Doom episode is on Heartland. 

Interesting to see MtPain focus on a newly released mapset. Not too much personally to add, other than this continues to be a really professionally put-together series of videos.

indeed, i was surprised by its quality.

All I have to say is that the new episode makes me want to replay NRFTL again, even though I didn't like it the first time around.

-snip- 

I'm kinda tired of people just hating on things on DW lately without the least bit of analysis or specificity behind it, so this grated on me and I deleted it. 

Not doing that to defend MtPain specifically -- people are obviously allowed to voice criticism here. But please keep it constructive.  "Can't stand that dude's voice and the way he talks" is just an insult. 

Try again tomorrow maybe. 

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, northivanastan said:

All I have to say is that the new episode makes me want to replay NRFTL again, even though I didn't like it the first time around.

Really? The midis might improve a few maps(Earth Base and Vivisector in particular), but it doesn't change how certain maps are just too big for their own good and the visuals were largely unspetacular. There were some great fights though (the yellow key ambush in Map 01, for instance.),

1 hour ago, LadyMistDragon said:

Really? The midis might improve a few maps(Earth Base and Vivisector in particular), but it doesn't change how certain maps are just too big for their own good and the visuals were largely unspetacular. There were some great fights though (the yellow key ambush in Map 01, for instance.),

I think I didn't give it a fair shake last time, partly because I was playing on Doomsday with freelook, and partly because I wasn't very skilled. Plus the original MIDI choices in NRFTL were not particularly good, so new music does change things.

Opinions are such a funny thing in how varied they can be.. To me, growing up with and loving the stock standard campaigns of Doom 1 and 2, in addition to an assortment of wads from the 90s (many of which I still consider good enough to recommend to other Doomers), I found NRFTL to be one of the most gorgeous examples of vanilla texture usage I’ve ever seen.. and I still think so!

I agree that NRFTL is a great-looking map set. I also thought it was pretty good to play, although the ending was a bit underwhelming!

Dean of Doom is a great series, although it does have the odd distinction for me in that I’m actually hoping my work doesn’t feature, as I think his preferences, love of good MIDI and favouring of skillsaw’s work wouldn’t do me any favours...

I’ll be watching keenly for when he’s covered most of the most popular releases, though, as his insight will be pretty valuable off of the beaten track for people looking for something a bit less mainstream to play!

I love Pain's videos so much, as indicated by the obnoxious bloviations I've left on several of his videos to now, haha. DoD is professional, entertaining, funny, honest, and thorough, basically the whole package that I could ask for in any given game review. He motivated me to finally get around to Eviternity, which was great, and he made it clear TNT Revilution was a must-play for a TNT apologist such as myself, and now it's one of my top five megawads. Even when I don't always agree with him, he at least makes me consider the upsides of works I didn't like. I've thought for awhile Alien Vendetta was overrated, but after viewing his praise on it, I really want to give the wad another playthrough... playing it vanilla this time, which I did not do previously. His digression on the Valiant video made me appreciate playing levels vanilla and realized I can't fairly judge most of them unless I do that. 

But Pain raised so much interest in Doom that DoD finally got me to start posting on here. I think what he's doing is really enriching the community and encouraging discussion on what does and does not make great level design. If there's anyone here who has not watched Dean of Doom yet, do yourself a favor and jump right into it. I'd even recommend starting at the beginning, which was another factor that got me interested, since the VERY FIRST thing he covered was TNT Evilution, which Civvie-11 has flatly refused to cover. I was ticked at Civvie for that, but Pain made up in spades with an informative look that showed the upsides of Final Doom's more underrated half. He had twelve episodes by the time I noticed DoD existed, but I started at the very beginning and was glad to catch up. He does noticeably seem a bit more shy in his early videos, but he's definitely grown more confident over time. I think he gets his full grasp around episode eight, done on my favorite dang megawad of all time, Ancient Aliens. 

Ugh, I'm fanboying out. Just watch Dean of Doom if you haven't, that's all I can really say!

2 hours ago, Sotenga said:

I love Pain's videos so much, as indicated by the obnoxious bloviations I've left on several of his videos to now, haha. DoD is professional, entertaining, funny, honest, and thorough, basically the whole package that I could ask for in any given game review. He motivated me to finally get around to Eviternity, which was great, and he made it clear TNT Revilution was a must-play for a TNT apologist such as myself, and now it's one of my top five megawads. Even when I don't always agree with him, he at least makes me consider the upsides of works I didn't like. I've thought for awhile Alien Vendetta was overrated, but after viewing his praise on it, I really want to give the wad another playthrough... playing it vanilla this time, which I did not do previously. His digression on the Valiant video made me appreciate playing levels vanilla and realized I can't fairly judge most of them unless I do that. 

But Pain raised so much interest in Doom that DoD finally got me to start posting on here. I think what he's doing is really enriching the community and encouraging discussion on what does and does not make great level design. If there's anyone here who has not watched Dean of Doom yet, do yourself a favor and jump right into it. I'd even recommend starting at the beginning, which was another factor that got me interested, since the VERY FIRST thing he covered was TNT Evilution, which Civvie-11 has flatly refused to cover. I was ticked at Civvie for that, but Pain made up in spades with an informative look that showed the upsides of Final Doom's more underrated half. He had twelve episodes by the time I noticed DoD existed, but I started at the very beginning and was glad to catch up. He does noticeably seem a bit more shy in his early videos, but he's definitely grown more confident over time. I think he gets his full grasp around episode eight, done on my favorite dang megawad of all time, Ancient Aliens. 

Ugh, I'm fanboying out. Just watch Dean of Doom if you haven't, that's all I can really say!

Your story and mine is very similar. While I'm not quite a TNT apologist because I believe contemporary wads to it like Memento Mori, Icarus, and perhaps Eternal Doom are just overall better, the debated highlights in TNT (Mill, Storage Facility(or Map 11), Dead Zone, Prison and I could go on)  are much better  I was part of a Doom Facebook group and played wads on a moderately decent occasion when somebody posted a link to one of his videos a few days after he uploaded the Thy Flesh Consumed episode. After that I watched parts of some his videos (Ancient Aliens, Sigil, Scythe, and Eviternity) I realized there might be some modern WADs actually worth playing, even if they have large slaughter sections that I'm...not necessarily indifferent too, but I just keep thinking there should be more projects like Akeldama in development where the slaughter is about as constrained as Revilution at least, I need to play both of those, lol). That doesn't matter though, because I am now back BIG into Doom, and eventually plan to play through Going Down, Ancient Aliens, and Alien Vendetta at the very least, though the latter will likely be with a companion mod because of the last 5 maps sound very difficult, even by the standards of Stardate 20x6 and other shit I genuine don't see myself playing. I would use 180 Minutes Pour de Vivre as a comparison point, but I'm not sure if you've played it, and perhaps you shouldn't because the last 3 maps particularly on UV.....let's just say I haven't played the last few yet because I know how long it would take, and I know I'll have to drop to HMP at some point because I had to get through a trap on Map 19, but things worked out otherwise).

Glad to have any TNT fans around, LMD! I agree it's an uneven wad, but the highs are really high. And yes, GD and AA are very worth playing. I want to give AV another fair shake sometime myself, but yes, maps 25 through 28 are highly excruciating and may break the spirit of anyone not expecting what they have in store. 

And I haven't played 180 Minutes yet, I'm afraid, but I've heard a lot of good about it, even if it is really hard. Though I'm not sure it gets much harder nowadays than Ribbiks. I tried to take on Stardate 20X6 with Combine Kegan's Space Hunter, and I couldn't even swing that. I highly respect Ribbiks as much as I curse him, lol. Random sidebar, but yeah.

I just wonder what else is worth my time, difficult or no. I trust Pain to tell us what's recommended, because MAN, TNT Revilution was a blast-and-a-half to play. I might not have if he didn't praise it as much as he did!

16 minutes ago, Sotenga said:

TNT fans

I am so fan of TNT: Evilution that my nickname happens to be its Castilian translation.

Judging by the comment at the end... is Scythe 2 (maybe Hell Revealed 2) going to be the first X-difficulty WAD on the show?

4 minutes ago, northivanastan said:

Judging by the comment at the end... is Scythe 2 (maybe Hell Revealed 2) going to be the first X-difficulty WAD on the show?

Hell Revealed 2, he released the episode order in his Hard sequels trailer.

Also, anyone feels he did map 26 dirty? I remember realy loving it for it´s visuals and gameplay.

I especially am looking forward to scythe 2. I’ll have more to say after I’m given time to watch the new video.

Calling it now, the Dunce Cap will go to Anti Static on his HR2 video.

2 minutes ago, Gothic said:

Calling it now, the Dunce Cap will go to Anti Static on his HR2 video.

That or the siege 2.

Good video on Plutonia 2! I played it continuous on UV once when it came out, so barely remembered it, but the descriptions and video dredged up some vague ideas in my mind. Probably the video I’ve most identified with so far, and I look forward to the other hard sequels of May.

13 hours ago, Jacek Bourne said:

That or the siege 2.

I think Siege 2 will get the Dunce Cap, because even though Anti-Static is ugly with weird music, it had some charm that decino himself likes. And given how much more brutal HR2's maps are in comparison to the first, I believe there will be more maps to bear the full X difficulty, and I call the following:

Map 15: The Path II (X-)

Map 32: Playground (X)

Map 18: Excess Meat (X-)

Map 24: The Inmost Dens III (X)

Map 27: Resistance Remains (X-)

Map 28: Beyond the Sea (X)

Map 29: Hell's Cauldron (X-)

About the commentary in MAP22, I have to remark it's only a coup de gras if it's inflicted by a mancubus slapping you with its belly.

Strangely enough, I remembered maps 25 and 28 more than map 20. It's been way too long since I played Plutonia 2, but I'm tempted to give it another spin someday. If I can work up the courage for it, anyway.

funnily enough i started playing plutonia 2 for the first time a day before the trailer dropped, and i gotta say, i'm absolutely loving it so far :))

it's hard af tho, damn

Posted (edited)

I'm glad that recent review episodes have put so much emphasis on each mapset's soundtrack - we genuinely are blessed by having hundreds (if not thousands!) of excellent midi tracks to make use of whenever we design maps, thanks to a good few dozen musicians who deserve all the credit in the world. At some point in the Plutonia 2 vid (I'm too lazy to find the timestamp when) the Dean suggests that Pl2's soundtrack is possibly the best collection of midis that has ever been unleashed on the community, and I'm inclined to agree. The likes of BTSX and Ancient Aliens have been more complete and professional in terms of their midi production, but there are just so many absolute bangers in Plutonia 2 that makes it stand out so much. There are numerous midis that the community still makes use of, right now, that originate from it. The only detraction is a handful of weird midis in the final 10 maps, along with a some IWAD midis not making it a complete soundtrack.

EDIT: I quickly skipped through most of the video and I seem to have overstated the Dean's opinion on the mapset's music, he says at 2:30 that the soundtrack alone is worth recommending the WAD, and that's it. Something I agree with a lot more! (I find the set's final 10 maps to largely be a drag, and I usually give up on any playthrough around map 22)

Edited by an_mutt