Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mr.Rocket

The Dark Zone - Quake Deathmatch remake map for Doom2 [RELEASED]

The Dark Zone  2-6 player Deathmatch map [RELEASED]

A single Deathmatch map for Doom2, for source engines which support Zdoom-based 3dfloor line actions or data types.

This is a recreation of a Quake map for Doom2.

Hi, I have recently created a small DM map entitled "The Dark Zone".

The Dark Zone is a remake map based on the map in Quake, DM6 to be precise, and the name is the same.

It was a fun little map to play in Quake and still is, so I decided to make the map for Doom2.

It's not exactly a replica or anything, that would be impossible I think, but it's pretty darn close!

tdz_shot1.png

tdz_shot2.png.0e8254be1195d73c37219f17cb64fb29.png

tdz_shot3.png.c930fc0121ccf4ebde6953c2e5e27ea5.png

tdz_shot4.png.415877d7a787c873ab9f76d51d4308f7.png

tdz_shot5.png.5304732d433b447d9772c6ab18e44312.png

tdz_shot6.png.54f0b059a529f9a0f1421d95988aa95f.png

Requirements:

OpenGL - is needed in order to see the models in QStuff

Doom2.wad - it requires that you have the Doom2.wad as the primary resource wad, duh.

Zandronum - Works best with, for multiplayer purposes. 

Tested with k8vavoom, Gzdoom, and Zandronum.

Downloads:

The Dark Zone.zip

Not required but suggested:

QStuff_UltraV2.pk3 - the weapon and item placement in this map is based around using this mod.

View readme file for more details!

Let me know if you encounter any bugs!

And above all, Have fun!

Note, The Dark Zone is a continuation of my previous Quake level remake for Doom2 called:

The Bad Place, which can be found Here.

Edited by Mr.Rocket

congrats! looks awesome!

i don't even know how you all doing that. writing code is much easier than mapping. i know, i tried both! ;-)

Thanks!

The next and final map I do for this will be DM2 - Claustrophobopolis.

quake_shot.png.e5bf3bec2f50aacf198ae082c063d58d.png

~ If you or anyone remembers the map? it will require some model moving platforms on top of (room over room over room, like the Dark Zone). 

So even if they're small DM maps, the still require a bit of time.

Edited by Mr.Rocket

it often happens even for SP maps. and i believe that MP maps are much harder to play alone, so even less replies here. ;-)

maybe MP subforum should get a special topic where people can drop links to their new MP maps, so "MP people" can subscribe to it, and don't miss anything interesting.

ahem... maybe we should have such topic for SP maps too...

Ture, it would be nice to have a singleplayer and multiplayer subforum for new map releases.

Though it would require some digging to find out what maps have multiplayer support and which don't.

And as it currently is in Wads & Mods, new map releases tend to quickly get pushed to the 2nd or 3rd page if there's already some active posts going on in already released content.

Maybe if there was at least a Deathmatch Only subforum in Wads & Mods?

Thanks for the feedback guys! ;)

35 minutes ago, Mr.Rocket said:

Maybe if there was at least a Deathmatch Only subforum in Wads & Mods?

try PM Linguica about that, why not? in the worst case nothing will change. point him to this thread, and maybe... ;-)

Well, it's been a month and no reply on said request so I suppose that means no, or currently mia.

Either way, I'm curious as to why this map hasn't got much recognition, unlike The Bad place. ~ the previous Quake remake I did for Doom2.  

Was it just a bad time to release the map? or was there just too many things going on?

Never the less, I expected this map to at least have some charm to it, it is after all a Quake remake map for Doom2.

Maybe it's just that everyone downloaded it, but didn't have anything to say? I donno..

The topic does have around 250 views.. but is everyone just speechless? :D

I'd kind of like a little feedback on the map though, lol.

Thanks!

bad timing, i guess. or people don't have buddys to play the map with, and then got distracted. just bump it several more times, maybe somebody will at least say "stop bumping!" kind of feedback too, i guess... ;-)

um BUMP

no one wants me to do these kind of levels?

Edited by Mr.Rocket

I sent the QCDE project a link to the level on the Zdoom forums, although a couple years ago the map would have seen the rage. 

I don't think that's the case now.

That said, things tend to unfold unexpectedly sometimes, so that maybe the case here.

Either way, thanks man! ;)

That and I expect it maybe the fact that the map its self is just sort of dull looking on the side of everything being (brown).. well I tried to make it as close the the original as possible for Doom, so maybe if I BLING it up with some brightmaps or something the poor thing would stand out..

Which is totally doable. 

The Dark Zone is part of a map set actually, The Bad Place is the first map in the map set and The Dark Zone is second, there's a 3rd map at about 20%. which would be the final map in the set.

I'd rather the community host the maps if possible, though.

Thanks!

Edited by Mr.Rocket

Added and updated screenshots!

Shots are taken in k8vavoom. ;)

I haven't added anything new to the map yet, eg brightmaps etc.

But is released and can be downloaded in the OP.

Let me know what you think.

8 hours ago, Mr.Rocket said:

Shots are taken in k8vavoom. ;)

so i have to promote it too now, i guess. smart plan! ;-)

Here's a bit of news: @Facínora , a fairly new member to Doomworld has uploaded a gameplay video about this remake.

Wasn't expecting that but Thank You Facínora! ;)

Few months later:

So, I was thinking about starting on another Quake1 remake map for Doom2 titled, DM2 - Claustrophobopolis.

Not atm but soon after I complete the map I'm working on for Gothic21.

Ok, I lied.. I actually started on Claustrophobopolis a while back, it's just been on the back burner for a while now.

If anyone recalls, it will require a lot of work on the side of moving objects, and in this case, I was thinking about using models.

Since the player will have to use them to move around in small areas of the map, I got to thinking, is this the best idea? How reliable are models to use as a means of transportation? I should probably ask this in the editing topic, but yeah.

Edited by Mr.Rocket

10 hours ago, Mr.Rocket said:

How reliable are models to use as a means of transportation?

they aren't. stacking code in the engine is a mess, and it never worked properly. it may work with some good orchestration (and prolly with some ACS support to be sure), but it still won't be reliable.

18 hours ago, ketmar said:

they aren't. stacking code in the engine is a mess, and it never worked properly. it may work with some good orchestration (and prolly with some ACS support to be sure), but it still won't be reliable.

Yeah, currently I have some stuff working in it so far, I mean I can stand on a model and ride it across the map, but other regions atm aren't doing as expected.. yes ACS. Though, if there's a will.. I'll figure it out. :P

I feel that the code will need to be clean and forgotten; problem is how well will it work with other thing/entities.

9 hours ago, OpenRift said:

Damn, you straight up just made DM6. Nice.

Actually no I released DM6^ back in March, and DM4 a couple years ago.  ;)

DM2 is well.. under construction.

Edited by Mr.Rocket

2 minutes ago, Mr.Rocket said:

Actually no I released DM6^ back in March, and DM4 a couple years ago.  ;)

DM2 is well.. under construction.

I wasn't implying you made it recently, I think I phrased that wrong.

Oh ok, yeah I took it as it sounded I guess.. no worries. ;)

So yeah, DM2 is slowly in the works.. just a little skeptical about some of the mechanical gimmicks it requires atm. 

Edited by Mr.Rocket

the only way to make it work reliable is to use 3d polyobjects. ahem… reliable in single-player mode. not much fun for a DM map, i guess…

wonderful. dm6 was my favorite dm map in quake. dm4 wasn't that hot because i tend to end up in the lava.

So here's current progress on DM2 - Claustrophobopolis:

dm2_shot_prep1.png.48f23920737648d01314bfe282855ecd.pngdm2_shot_prep2.png.4040c7953c9f719e2495299724df4d5b.png

dm2_shot_prep3.png.895e231e59e5a7cf8cdc08bab727a329.pngdm2_shot_prep4.png.f168d83af5aaa74f6478413971895b58.png

I'll make a new topic when it gets close to release. ;)

On 1/5/2022 at 5:02 AM, DoctorNuriel said:

Amazing work!!

Thanks! ;)

It's getting there! I think I might have something soon.

the only way to make it work reliable is to use 3d polyobjects. ahem… reliable in single-player mode. not much fun for a DM map, i guess…

eYeah I have a feeling about that. I have yet to tap in all aspects of the situation. it's currently using  md3's, I started with .obj but zandronum didn't know what that was so I switched to md3. The ports all see it, and it functions as it should, but some ports don't see it "just right"; either they don't draw the full model as expected or it ends up at different heights. I've mostly been testing under gzdoom but it seems to be expected that, at current version of the map, k8 and zandro will need to be released as separate versions. just for example, zandro has no idea what spotlights are.. and I'd like to at least target these 3 ports..  should have something soon, I'll pm ya something to test if need be. ;)

Edited by Mr.Rocket

Well done!

Both The Dark Zone and The Bad Place are very nicely made Quake levels!

I understand these are meant for deathmatch, but...

If you eventually reach 9 quake levels, then you could make a single player campaign with these maps as well.

There is a GZD Quake TC that also includes enemies.