Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DOOMTIME

How tall is doomguy?

I'd say 5'10, 6 feet in his boots. I see him as being physically the equivalent of 80's Mike Tyson, a physical monstrosity in great shape, more powertype than bodybuilder type

On 3/26/2021 at 3:11 AM, Jello said:

So... that makes all the zombie men, shotgunners, chaingunners, and imps 7 feet tall? Yeah I'm not buying that. Possibly the "Doomslayer" is that tall after they retconned the Hell out of him, but I would say the Doomguy is around 5'10".

What are you on? My man towers over regular humans

On 3/26/2021 at 4:52 AM, HQDefault said:

I like the idea that Doomguy is kind of a Manlet. In Eternal, he looks like he's shorter than the UAC security guards.

I dunno, in my head canon he's like 5'7". So not like super short, but clearly a stocky build.

Sorry but he dwaves arc soldiers who should be taller than average. I know it dosent fit your headcanon but that's the way it is

Is it weird that I enjoy it when a thread that stays dormant for months suddenly gets bumped? I know some people find it annoying but I really like it :P.

Tom Hardy is 5'9" and he played Bane, who's 6'9", so miracles can happen.

But Doomguy is either super short, or the zombies are super tall. If we're going by his eye level, he's looking at the shoulders of the zombies. 

I don't think the in-game camera POV of the view is accurate. Isn't Doomguy's sprite the same height as zombies? Doesn't other doomguys in DM look like giants next to you? I think it is that low because if you make it higher the game looks a lot weirder. I've tried eye height at a higher level for the Hexen Fighter and it was disorienting at first because you can barely see the ground around you ( and in Doom you can't look up/down ).

Considering stairs appear to be about 1/4 of the body height.  Probably about 4'10" (or about 150cm for us metric folk).

20 hours ago, Zulk RS said:

Is it weird that I enjoy it when a thread that stays dormant for months suddenly gets bumped? I know some people find it annoying but I really like it :P.

nah, it's not just you. i've never understood why some people are so vehemently against it myself

51 minutes ago, Pegg said:

I don't think the in-game camera POV of the view is accurate. Isn't Doomguy's sprite the same height as zombies? Doesn't other doomguys in DM look like giants next to you? I think it is that low because if you make it higher the game looks a lot weirder. I've tried eye height at a higher level for the Hexen Fighter and it was disorienting at first because you can barely see the ground around you ( and in Doom you can't look up/down ).

i may be confusing this for another game, but isn't the camera in doomguy's stomach or something? like a teletubby

maybe that's why there's no armor there...

If Doomguy in the original Doom games is supposed to be "You" since the text screens all refer to Doomguy as "You", then that means he's the same height as me! He's 5ft tall!

On 3/26/2021 at 4:31 AM, Zulk RS said:

Wasn't there like a widely accepted conversion rate for Map Units into feet or meters that we once used to determine Doomguy's height?

On 3/26/2021 at 10:27 PM, insertwackynamehere said:

If I remember correctly there is a specific analysis that concludes the aspect ratio of Doom universe is not the same as ours. So height and width cannot be exact which was a barrier in creating realism maps of like peoples homes and offices. I can’t remember where I read that, though

You may be thinking of Doom Metrics by Scott Amspoker. According to it:
16 horizontal map units = 1 foot (52.5 horizontal map units = 1 meter)

10 vertical map units = 1 foot (32.8 vertical map units = 1 meter)

Based on those numbers, if you consider the minimum space Doomguy can fit into standing up is 56 units, that is 5'7" or 1.71 meters. That would also mean he can fit through spaces about 2 feet (0.6 meters) wide.

It's well documented that Doomguy was originally unable to move his head up and down, so that would make Doomguy 5'7" (1.71 meters) tall. If you figure that he could bend his neck a little to pass under doorways, then 5'9" or 5'10" (1.75 to meters) tall isn't unreasonable.

Regardless, he always struck me as having as very similar build to Wolverine--short, but stocky, muscular, and tough.

I'm going with 6'8 give or take, especially if this UAC worker is about 5'10 for comparison.  Most male NPC's in game seem to be about the same (if not identical) height as well for consistency.

DoomSlayer_Height_1.png.09e0d42a8262c77b000b3d6852dd50cc.png

Though I do know in some circumstances argent energy can make you taller (as was the case with the Revenant project canon in 2016) so maybe Doomguy grew a few inches after becoming the Doomslayer.

image.png.df2ebc85251f7fee58f2f8ed11913e67.png

I want to know the height of Corvus and the Hexen trio/ ok the bosses are the ones in the image but the players have exact same height sprite wise. Menelkir towers over doomguy lol.

Google says 6'8 in his gear, so probably like 6'ish TBH. Those big ass boots and the helmet probably add alot. put him in bare feet and without that helmet sticking up 3 inches over his head and he's probably about the height of that guy in the picture there, who isn't exactly an NBA player himself.

But I'm biased because I'm a 5'11 190 pound 36 year old caucasian male with short brown hair, and I'm starting to demolish nightmare master levels like a fuckin' champ so I'm feeling a kinship to our esteemed player avatar. I feel like I could definitely detonate a ballistic fist nuke square on the manpleaser of any who step in my path.

I have nothing to add to this thread, but I love these replies. So creative and interesting.

That is all. Carry on.

Wait... has anyone asked John Romero about this? Until he weighs in, I don't think we'll ever have a real answer.

I would think it's something he would find important.

"To win the game, you must kill be taller than me, John Romero."

Edited by Kyka : I thought of something Thanks Jello

On 1/26/2022 at 7:07 AM, Kute said:

Google says 6'8 in his gear, so probably like 6'ish TBH. Those big ass boots and the helmet probably add alot. put him in bare feet and without that helmet sticking up 3 inches over his head and he's probably about the height of that guy in the picture there, who isn't exactly an NBA player himself.

But I'm biased because I'm a 5'11 190 pound 36 year old caucasian male with short brown hair, and I'm starting to demolish nightmare master levels like a fuckin' champ so I'm feeling a kinship to our esteemed player avatar. I feel like I could definitely detonate a ballistic fist nuke square on the manpleaser of any who step in my path.

I mentioned 6'3" because MachineGames modeled BJ Blazkowicz in nuWolf partially after Brock Lesnar (same height). Assuming Doomguy is a canon descendant of BJ, I figure it's the same.