Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Keyran-Solo

Thoughts of Energy Drinks?

Absolutely horrible for your health and to be avoided. Also fucking delicious, which is a shame. I wish there existed some variants of some of them that didn't have all the "energy" stuff, but even then I could only see myself having one once or twice a year, I don't have much of a sweet tooth. Sorta similar, there are a lot of alcoholic drinks that I wish weren't alcoholic because they just taste so damn nice.

Some ppl can't live without them. To be honest, I don't feel noticeable energy surge, nothing I can't chant myself into, plus I'm kinda scared for my brittle body (not as unstoppable as I used to be). I'd rather drink extra strong green tea (sugar-free, of course). Yes, this stuff I drink endlessly.

---

After reading the thread.

Wowzers. When I typed "some ppl can't live without them" I meant people, who work really long hours, they start their day with it ('cause they had little to no sleep) and then keep themselves sane with cigarettes. Can't imagine someone drinking it leisurely :-/. I consider it an emergency drug, not a food category.

Edited by incel

I only like a few versions of Monster, and only drink them very occasionally. My instinct tells me it's not a good idea to drink

them often, and besides they aren't that cheap.

Not sure if they ever gave me an energy boost though. Maybe a little bit.

I tried Red Bull a few times and straight up hated the taste. Coffee's not much better tasting even with a bit of creamer. I don't like the idea of becoming dependent on it throughout the day, so I'm limited to a cup of the instant stuff in the morning.

I love coffee but I hate feeling that panicky level of wired you can get from stimulants and I hate teeth meltingly sweet drinks. I really like the feeling of a good black espresso or Americano hitting you as the sun rises. That is zen

13 hours ago, Keyran-Solo said:

I used to drink them all the time, and I think at first they did wake me up a little bit, but then after drinking so many, that effect soon wore off. Now I don't drink them because my heart started hurting and they really mess up your oral hygiene. Red Bull is the only one I can tolerate these days if I do happen to drink one, but the majority of them make me feel physically sick.

Any of you a fan of these drinks or despise them completely?

Random topic, I know.

Switch entirely to the sugar-free version of whatever energy drink you prefer, and most of the health-related issues (oral hygiene, weight gain, heart palpitations, headaches) should disappear, or at the very least, be reduced to a much smaller level. Most of the problems from energy drinks stem from their absolutely absurd sugar levels. Though if you have a sensitivity to caffeine, that could potentially be a problem too. If you're sensitive to caffeine, make sure you drink a glass of water or two when you have one.

I've drank them pretty regularly for close to 15 years now, so yeah, I enjoy them. I go through phases where my preffered caffeinated beverage varies---sometimes it's energy drinks, sometimes it's coffee, sometimes it's Diet Coke. 

I don't seem to have the same degree of sensitivity to caffeine that many people do (or maybe it's just that my tolerance grew past it a long time ago), but I do notice when I drink energy drinks for too long, they start losing their effect on me. That's when I switch to one of the aforementioned beverages for a while.

Edited by Caffeine Freak

2 hours ago, Caffeine Freak said:

Switch entirely to the sugar-free version of whatever energy drink you prefer, and most of the health-related issues (oral hygiene, weight gain, heart palpitations, headaches) should disappear, or at the very least, be reduced to a much smaller level. Most of the problems from energy drinks stem from their absolutely absurd sugar levels. Though if you have a sensitivity to caffeine, that could potentially be a problem too. If you're sensitive to caffeine, make sure you drink a glass of water or two when you have one.

Don’t worry about the heart palpitations! Thats just your body reminding you that you are still alive XD

On a more serious note, yeah definitely make sure to drink lots of water if you consume a lot of caffeine :-)

It is a diuretic so can dehydrate you casing headaches and what not as well as kidney damage after prolonged use! I usually aim for about 2 glasses of water between each caffeinated beverage and kidney function is normal (so far) after 15+ years of high daily caffeine use :-P

The water can also help with bringing the mouth PH back to normal levels too which is good for your teeth. Although it doesn’t help with the sugar issue though :-P

Hope that was somewhat interesting / useful for someone :-D

Pfft, who needs energy drinks when you can get the real deal? Coffee is all you need.

On a serious note though: I used to drink them occasionally, I don't really consume them anymore. I have always suffered from being hyper since I was a child. It's not so bad these days (I'm in my 30's after all, metabolism slowing down etc), but I really don't need to amplify it for those around me. They can barely tolerate it as is. Not that I jump around like a over-excited kid. When I was a kid yes, but these days it manifests as becoming very excited and animated when talking.

Even the most mundane subjects are not safe, somehow I'll get passionate about it then weave off into several different discussions, often wholly unrelated to whatever tedious conversation was being had. So no, I don't drink energy drinks these days. Mostly for the sake of others and their mental health.

Lot's of interesting views on these drinks! I personally never got headaches from them thankfully, just the heart pains mainly. 

The only ones I touch are Bang and Reign.  They actually aren't loaded with garbage, taste good, and I do actually feel energized and better after having them and I don't crash later.  Monster, Rockstar, Red Bull etc. can die in a fire.  

Used to drink one or two daily for about 6-7 years. Those sugarfree versions are all you need to sustain your crippling caffeine addiction. 

I used to enjoy Red Bull and 5 Hour Energy Shots (not exactly energy drink, but similar). Eventually dropped them and fully gave into my caffeine addiction with Cold Brew Coffee. Plenty of 'energy'; no sugar.

as others have said, they are poisonous garbage. sure, they might help you get through long hours, but the costs are not worth it. you'd be better off with coffee, or even chewing on coca leaves if you could somehow get them.

I did drink them and still do occassionally, but the effects are mostly negative.
- increased heart rate and nervousness. That doesn't make you think any clearer or help you focus, sometimes only the opposite, and some physical exercising on top of that can just kill you.
- possible nausea from a sudden massive sugar intake
- viscous saliva

However, my regular sugar consuption is very low, sometimes dangerously low, and a bottle can help fix that in a rough and quick way. The taste and smell is also pretty nice.

On 3/27/2021 at 2:44 AM, almostmatt1 said:

Absolutely horrible for your health and to be avoided. Also fucking delicious, which is a shame. I wish there existed some variants of some of them that didn't have all the "energy" stuff, but even then I could only see myself having one once or twice a year, I don't have much of a sweet tooth. Sorta similar, there are a lot of alcoholic drinks that I wish weren't alcoholic because they just taste so damn nice.

i keep away at all costs, alcohol, energy drinks, pretty much anything that can turn your organs or mind into paperweight. i remember one time i had one, and then when i tried eating anything i would constantly puke it out, that was a rough day in the hospital. since then i've been keeping away from them. and i advise this for everyone else.

the "energy" that they're supposed to provide only last about an hour or so, after that its only pain and nothing else. and when it comes to good tastes, its really not worth what happens after consuming some.

I do my best to avoid energy drinks but sometimes when I had to do 10 to 13 hour shifts at my old workplace I'd drink a can or two.

I've never had one, but they need to be severely overhauled and regulated or whatever because right now, they're practically poison. The obscene amount of caffeine they put in them has given so many otherwise healthy teenagers deadly heart attacks, it's insane. No exaggeration when I tell you that I had several mutual friends who all quickly grew addicted to V/Monster/Red Bull and all three lads died from cardiac arrest before their 19th birthday. One of them dropped dead in the middle of a local football game in front of a crowd.

Edited by Biodegradable

They are a gift and a curse. I have a friend who is borderline addicted to 'Relentless' he probably nails 4-5 can per night while gaming. Though maybe in some respects it's better than alcohol, I wish he'd just have a cup of tea or something every once in a while.