Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
northivanastan

[Released] Ultimate MIDI Pack - A community music replacement for the original Doom

Recommended Posts

I wish I could contribute but unfortunately I don't know much about making midis.  That said I am glad to see this being done and wish you success!

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

I've updated the OP to state that I plan to release this entire pack under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike (CC-BY-SA) license, rather than just encouraging individual musicians to use CC-BY-SA. This will allow commercial use, and use without permission, but it does require credit and share-alike. I'm not sure how most of the artists on Doomworld feel about that, so if you are uncomfortable with your work being released under the CC-BY-SA, please say so! I'm open to changing plans if more than one artist feels that way.

Edited by northivanastan

Share this post


Link to post

Just a question/suggestion type thing: Are we replacing the duplicates in reverse order? I see that there's a lot of E1 slots open for example - what I had in mind is that every original MIDI would get to be heard once in it's original slot, and that all the duplicates after that would be replaced. If that's not how it's going to be done that's really no big deal, but I do think it makes a little more sense just personally.

Share this post


Link to post

I'd love to help out with any technical things (clean-ups/edits, advice where qualified) but for now I'm a bit sapped for new musical ideas after several other projects and wanted some time to recharge. And Doomkid's MIDI project showed me just how difficult it is to imitate BP's style, but that doesn't mean I won't end up claiming something before this is all over, I do love being involved with these kind of projects, and talking about music with people. I may even claim something sooner than later because that's how inspiration works I guess.

 

So stylistically what are your expectations? Should the MIDIs be as close to Prince's style as possible? Or is it more lenient with room for personal flair? And (Sorry if I'm taking this too literally, but I'm just checking) should submitting only be done through DMs or is posting half-finished ideas in the thread for public feedback okay?

 

This looks fun, I'll think about claiming something!

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Doomkid said:

Just a question/suggestion type thing: Are we replacing the duplicates in reverse order? I see that there's a lot of E1 slots open for example - what I had in mind is that every original MIDI would get to be heard once in it's original slot, and that all the duplicates after that would be replaced. If that's not how it's going to be done that's really no big deal, but I do think it makes a little more sense just personally.

Well there are cases where the "original slot" isn't clear, or where that idea would make less sense. For example, the Hell Keep track appears in E2M9 first, but it's more associated with E3M1. What I decided on was to let people pick whichever of the duplicates they like, and open the TFC tracks once all but one of each duplicated MIDI remained un-claimed. The goal is a full replacement, though, so if you wanted to keep the first use of each track intact that would easily be possible.

2 hours ago, Lippeth said:

I'd love to help out with any technical things (clean-ups/edits, advice where qualified) but for now I'm a bit sapped for new musical ideas after several other projects and wanted some time to recharge. And Doomkid's MIDI project showed me just how difficult it is to imitate BP's style, but that doesn't mean I won't end up claiming something before this is all over, I do love being involved with these kind of projects, and talking about music with people. I may even claim something sooner than later because that's how inspiration works I guess.

 

So stylistically what are your expectations? Should the MIDIs be as close to Prince's style as possible? Or is it more lenient with room for personal flair? And (Sorry if I'm taking this too literally, but I'm just checking) should submitting only be done through DMs or is posting half-finished ideas in the thread for public feedback okay?

 

This looks fun, I'll think about claiming something!

More lenient. The only rule is that it has to sound reasonably good when played in the background of the map it is for.

 

You can post tracks here for feedback as well; I'm planning to do that myself for my E3M9 and E4M1 tracks. DMs are just the preferred way to submit.

 

Also, I will consider contacting you when I need technical assistance, thanks!

2 hours ago, TheUltimateDoomer666 said:

I would like to claim the E1M8 slot.

Excellent! Send me something (finished or unfinished) in no more than two weeks. I'd also like to see some of your previous work, if you have published any.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, northivanastan said:

I'd also like to see some of your previous work, if you have published any.

Here are 5 MIDIs that I previously posted on this forum.  However, these were written in 2014 and I have improved since then, so these may feel rather simple.

 

And below are links to some of my other music in MP3 format that I have previously posted online.  Although these are not pure MIDI, I often write songs in MIDI before rewriting them in a DAW or tracker (note that these MP3s are not free to use).

 

Spoiler

 

Here is a track (also from 2014) from the game Survivalist.

 

Here are tracks I made for the game Planet Cloudius IX.

 

Here is the gameplay track I made for Messy Paths.

 

Miscellaneous tracks:

 

 

Edited by TheUltimateDoomer666

Share this post


Link to post
24 minutes ago, TheUltimateDoomer666 said:

Here are 5 MIDIs that I previously posted on this forum.  However, these were written in 2014 and I have improved since then, so these may feel rather simple.

 

And below are links to some of my other music in MP3 format that I have previously posted online.  Although these are not pure MIDI, I often write songs in MIDI before rewriting them in a DAW or tracker (note that these MP3s are not free to use).

 

  Reveal hidden contents

 

Here is a track (also from 2014) from the game Survivalist.

 

Here are tracks I made for the game Planet Cloudius IX.

 

Here is the gameplay track I made for Messy Paths.

 

Miscellaneous tracks:

 

 

Even the 2014 ones are pretty good, at least by my reasonably low standards, so I'm definitely looking forward to what you submit!

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, Peter said:

@CammyBanana wanna collab on E4M6?

Quick note - the Thy Flesh Consumed tracks aren't open yet, so you can start composing something, but once it does open someone might reserve E4M6 before you can. Though if that happens and you end up producing something that is really, really good (which wouldn't surprise me), I might give you that slot anyway :)

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Peter said:

@CammyBanana wanna collab on E4M6?

 

You'd better believe it! I have some other songs I need to finish up first, but once I'm done and the slot's opened up I'll be prepared for NM100S Pistol Start or Else 2 to be a reality. I've got my eye on a solo claim for this project as well - but again, I'll first need to clear my plate just a bit.

Share this post


Link to post

Interested in the project but for now I refrain from claiming any spots bc I highly doubt in can submit something within the next two weeks just yet.

 

Btw, are remixes of original Doom midis allowed for this project or should it be original tunes? 

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
On 3/27/2021 at 12:38 PM, northivanastan said:

6.   Remixes are allowed, as long as you state what you are remixing, the remix is sufficiently distinguishable from the original, and you aren't remixing the same MIDI that yours will replace (there may be exceptions).

@TrialD, from the above-stated rules.

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, TrialD said:

Interested in the project but for now I refrain from claiming any spots bc I highly doubt in can submit something within the next two weeks just yet.

 

Btw, are remixes of original Doom midis allowed for this project or should it be original tunes? 

Yes, see the rules. I'm doing a remix of E3M1 myself, for E3M9. I would prefer original tunes, though, because I want this to be a new set of tracks, not a "remix album."

 

The rule is that if you can't finish in two weeks, you can ask for more time if you provide some evidence that you have made progress on the MIDI.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

Speaking of which: here's what I have so far of my own MIDIs for this project (E3M9 and the E4M1 track I started before the project).

 

e3m9-and-e4m1.zip

 

E3M9 "Mouth for Secrets" is a remix of the E3M1/E2M9 music, with a melody from Hiding the Secrets (E1M9/E3M9) at the end. Thought a remix would be appropriate for Warrens because the level itself is a remix of Hell Keep. E4M1 "Desolation" is a downtempo track meant to convey a hopeless feeling as your health is slowly whittled down by those opening shotgunners. Feedback would be greatly appreciated before I consider these final!

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Bobby “lolmcswagger” said:

Oh hell yeah House of Pain is open. Everyone's favorite speedrun killer map. Will claim

Excellent, looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

I will gladly make a midi for e3m5, I will get working on it! 

Edited by Mordeth : massive unnecessary quote removed

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, McJerb said:

I will gladly make a midi for e3m5, I will get working on it! 

Great, do you have any previous work you can show me?

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, northivanastan said:

Great, do you have any previous work you can show me?

On a wad im working i made my own midis heres some of my favorites. I already got a good idea what to do for that level

showcase.zip

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, McJerb said:

On a wad im working i made my own midis heres some of my favorites. I already got a good idea what to do for that level

showcase.zip

I'll take a look at those next morning, but for now I will reserve the slot!

Share this post


Link to post

The original episodes and Thy Flesh Consumed will get an original soundtrack as well? Awesome!

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, Doomkid said:

I’ll make a tentative claim for E2M3 :)

Great, make sure to get back to me in at most two weeks!

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, McJerb said:

On a wad im working i made my own midis heres some of my favorites. I already got a good idea what to do for that level

showcase.zip

Nice stuff. Quick bit of feedback though:

  1. At times it feels like there's a part missing from the song, or it's too simplistic. I feel like more pronounced bass sounds would improve many of these songs.
  2. Your melodies sound a little bit "noodly," in that the notes feel somewhat random. Not sure if they're supposed to sound that way or not.
  3. I do like the drumbeats though! You make a great use of different drum sounds.

Looking forward to your E3M5 MIDI!

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, northivanastan said:

Nice stuff. Quick bit of feedback though:

  1. At times it feels like there's a part missing from the song, or it's too simplistic. I feel like more pronounced bass sounds would improve many of these songs.
  2. Your melodies sound a little bit "noodly," in that the notes feel somewhat random. Not sure if they're supposed to sound that way or not.
  3. I do like the drumbeats though! You make a great use of different drum sounds.

Looking forward to your E3M5 MIDI!

Thanks dude, I will try my best on E3M5! 

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, McJerb said:

On a wad im working i made my own midis heres some of my favorites. I already got a good idea what to do for that level

showcase.zip

Some of the notes are layered/duplicated.  For example, there are notes on channel 2 of "track 3 boss.mid" that overlap in both pitch and duration.  This has the effect of causing the volume of the channel to go up and down (duplicated notes increase the volume of the channel), at least in the sequencer I use.

Share this post


Link to post

I've uploaded a ZIP with the first three MIDIs - TheUltimateDoomer666's E1M8 track and my two contributions - as well as WADs so you can listen to them in game. I'll continue to release incomplete versions as new tracks are submitted.

 

Please reply any feedback you have on the existing MIDIs, so that the final product will be as good as it can possibly be!

 

ultimidi-0.0.1.zip

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×