Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
pritch

Slowness.

If I add more than a few bots on a detailed or large map in zdoom 1.22 it all gets very blocky.

In the latest zdaemon, decals an' all, if I add even one in some levels it all gets very slow as well.

What I want to absolutely clarify is is it because of my system, which is a PII 333mhz with 192mb ram, and a ATI 8MB Rage pro card? Is it just not up to it?

pritch said:

What I want to absolutely clarify is is it because of my system, which is a PII 333mhz with 192mb ram, and a ATI 8MB Rage pro card? Is it just not up to it?

I have a P2 333 with 128 RAM and a Diamond Viper 330 4mb video card and it does not slow to an unacceptable frame rate with me plus three bots in a typical deathmatch map. Running at 640x480, even 800x600 some maps. I think your system is OK, as long as everything is working properly and no programs are loaded which might interfere with zdoom sound card use.

What screen resolution are you using?

I do recall some wad, maybe a year or two ago, which really did bog down when bots were added, can't remember what it was. Beyond a certain level of detail or amount of graphics data, maybe you need to increase the heapsize from default of 8 to something more? A long shot... I think you add +heapsize 16 to the command line, for example.

Same problem here.

256 Mb RAM
K6-2 300 (gonna OC it to 600 when I get home, heh heh heh...)
ATI XPert 128 16 Mb

I wonder if just clocking up the bus speed would do, actually.

Right now, though, I'm away from home visiting relatives, using my grandfather's IMAC. URGH...

pritch said:

If I add more than a few bots on a detailed or large map in zdoom 1.22 it all gets very blocky.

In the latest zdaemon, decals an' all, if I add even one in some levels it all gets very slow as well.

That version is 3 years old, so the chances are that the problem's already been fixed :) Try the latest beta and see if it still does it (if you suffer from the "beta prejudice" condition, you can always change back once you're done ;) ).

If it does still exhibit the same sympton, then I suggest you let Randy know via e-mail or on the ZDoom forum; AFAIK he doesn't visit the DW forums.

My post goes for version 1.22 also, I tested both that and 2.0 pre27 before posting. Had to test because I haven't used that machine in two years. I wonder what wad Pritch is referring to so I could try to make a valid comparison with him....???

Pritch, what wad and map?

It's just the zdoom (cajun) bots, most likely. They eat up resources, and they are generally dumb anyway. Use another bot mod, like doombot or opndoom.

I know the ZCajun bots used to cause a very noticable slowdown when they picked up and used the rocket launcher. I don't remember if this was fixed before 1.22 or not though. It certainly hasn't been a problem recently with th latest Zdoom versions, but then most of my speed related problems magically went away when I got a new computer a while ago. :-P

When I was running a 350 MHz P2, the Zcajun rocket launcher slow down problem was very noticable.

Biffy: any large map in any wad, heh.

Well, it happens in the latest betas as well. Yeah, it is really bad when the bots pick up the r/l, but on some maps it also slows chronically for no apparent reason. Maybe it is just zcajun being a pile of wank, heh