Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Endless

Endless Random /idgames WAD Adventures #003 (Now with a better logo!)

0febb30ef47c051de5a902607b4f6cf4998d8409.png

Logo by @4MaTC

Endless, what the hell is this now ?

Endless Random /idgames WAD Adventures is a small project of exploration, interaction, entertainment and reviews where we meet once a week to select random WADs in search of hidden treasures, lost promises or our worst nightmares! In case you didn't know, /idgames archive has a special feature where we can search for random files, of course, sometimes they are resources or unplayable stuff, so we will focus on looking for WADs!

So, what are we going have to do ?

1. We/I try to play at least 4 (or more if you can) random WADs on /idgames. For that, I use the Random File feature.
  2. We comment/review the WADs for the duration of the week. There's no set time, but one WAD every 2 days is a good measure, or 1 every day in case there's plenty.
  3. Try to take screenshots of your adventures.
  4. Play however you want, on any skill-level, as long as you play the WAD as intended/in working shape.
  5. Avoid shitting on people's work, try to review in a respectful manner, but of course, let's all have a good laugh in case we find something odd.

What kind of WADs are we looking for ?

Mostly singleplayer WADs that work in your source-port of choice. You can skip DM WADs in case you don't have anyone to play with. Heretic WADs are also allowed. I will look for at least 4 random WADs for the week and add them here. Feel free to play them with me, or if you wish, look for your own! The point of this is to encourage you to explore this vast, random world. 

Tips/recommendations for commenting/reviewing:

Spoiler

• Do provide the name of the map and a link to the file. Very important.
  • Sticking the name of the author doesn't hurt either, especially if you have previous experience with it.
  • Commenting the source port and skill-level is also good if you wish.
  • Try to stick to 1 WAD per day to avoid burnout, but this is all up to you, champ!
  • Screenshots or videos are awesome.
  • Long or short format, both are good as long as you do it with integrity.

Endless Random /idgames WAD Adventures of this week:

f8c.gif

1. Vezeni
  2. sfffft/meow..P
  3. Jungle Fever
  4. Pretty Hate Marine: Starfuckers Inc.
  5. Random

BONUS:

Spoiler

A random WAD from Doomworld WADs & Mods subforum:

Also, all the Endless Random /idgames WAD Adventures are going to be selected and collected for publishing on the Doom Master Wadazine of each month! With the best comments/review being highlighted for the articles.

Let the fishing, begin! 

Join the Wadazine community! » https://discord.gg/Q2RKn4J

» Previous adventures:

Edited by Endless

Also, I am looking for assistants to help me with the organization and management of the ERIWA, mainly with managing an Excel file where we will place all the WADs played from each event and it would also be great if he or she could promote interaction between players or just share the enthusiasm. :D

If anyone wants to join the team and give me a hand, I'd be grateful!

NFweTTE.jpg

To start the week, got a map from '06 called kohe 3 by Ruba.

A small city map with, well... some weird design choices, like a building using the skin tesxute using everyone's favorite FIREBLU texture inside, a Cyberdemon in a cage being crushed to death for some reason, a wall with map 31's dictator for some reason too... Things like that.

The idea of the map is simple, In the middle of it there are 3 keys and you have to enter every "building", hit the switch and get them, once you get them all, you can access the exit.

Map's architecture is pretty basic with lots of square sectors, basic texture use and some rushed item placement. Monster placement is very basic too, since most of the time you are fighting lots of Zombiemen cramped on a small room or imps and Sargeants on narrow halls. It is a bit tough at the start, but but gets easier later.

Not the best or an epic map, but I found it fun. I like to see those old first attempts of mapping and wonder if the authors kept making them or just gave up... Also, I like weird map stuff XD

Okay, have some screenshots:

Spoiler

Kohe3-1.jpg.3fb0e97ab2284b78596031d47cd58af8.jpg

Start Point

Kohe3-2.jpg.2f2edbe66ba56db79289e6749337a372.jpg

Key area

Kohe3-3.jpg.071a057bafc6136af1fec7a6157ab4a0.jpg

A Cyberdemon sentenced to "crushing" for some reason

Kohe3-4.jpg.dfba528a538b75cc3578e411cc58af9e.jpg

A mama spider taking revenge of her crushed husban

Kohe3-5.jpg.451a8de9e80b1fcc8bcfcabba882d2e4.jpg

Meaty building

Kohe3-6.jpg.ca1b175d54b979fabdeeae374bd54c4a.jpg

Lovely walls

Kohe3-7.jpg.04ac68afaaaa81193679e32c6a364017.jpg

Nazi room

Kohe3-8.jpg.5ae8c277d1c965a0cd2ba5b1c429226c.jpg

"Can you leave us to hail moustache man in peace?"

kohe3.wad_MAP13.jpg.f9a10aeb6d4577888f2df8e66fd7188a.jpg

Full map

EDIT: I forgot to say, the new logo looks very cool :D

Edited by LUISDooM : Dunno

DAY 1 | Vezeni | Kelvin | 2002 | Played on LZDoom + UV

be7a8f0b9a6691b5809b734516594ac6ecf42078.png

From the simple description and the year, I blindly thought it would be a terrible map, but on the contrary, it's a fun map! Perhaps a somewhat mediocre and average design at its best, but it has enough understanding of the mapping philosophy that it manages to set its priorities in a satisfactory way, resulting in a small but fun map that delivers 5 to 10 minutes of natural 2000s bliss. With some pretty stock visuals but at least not ugly, it's not the best work for the eye, but the real highlight is in the good flow of the map, coupled with an interesting and simple gameplay, resulting in an interesting work with variety. For 2002, not bad at all!

Oh, new thread already? Alrighty then, I guess I'll write about my random picks from idgames for this day, because lecture was cancelled for this day and I'm bored af:

1. Pirates by David Ginsberg(idk if it's real name and surname). Dated back to 1998, it replaces some sounds in wad. I found it cool, even if it doesn't fit doom aesthetics and sounds. Video would make a difference, but I'm too lazy to record it.

2.  James Bond skin for Doom legacy  by Chris "Dragon" Pisarczyk. It's actually not that accurate, because it doesn't replace skins, only player's hud with Bond's face. Here screenshot for you:

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20210326_084002.png

3. The Blessed Engine 1.9 by legendary DOUG the Eagle and KANSAM. Same engine which was used in Sky May be. I couldn't open up this one sadly, but it's nice to know that it was documented and put in idgames.

4. Glaive by EANB. 9 maps long episode inspired by Scythe. I heard about this one a lot and I was so happy that random file rng in idgames was kind enough to give me opportunity to play it and give my review. Well, it actually does what it says - short punchy maps with Scythe ep1 vibes, it wouldn't be out of place in original set. If you don't know what to play - go give Glaive a try, it was fun and quick challenge that doesn't overstay it's welcome. It could use more blocking lines, not fun jump out from windows... but that's just my gripe with it. Screenshots(in no particular order):

Spoiler

etrn486.png
etrn476.png
etrn484.png
etrn483.png

5.Pigeon speedmapping session 02 by Various Mappers. Do I really need to write about this one? Oh, ok, I should, even if it would be less of review and more memory sharing. This one was themed after Thanksgiving Day I think, my memory is a bit faulty. There were 2 sessions in same day to accommodate people living in different time zones(I think it's a bit overkill and exhausting). Time limit was 3 hours for each session. People had to choose from 3 themes + optional themes: 
     1.Maximum of 6 textures and 6 flats.
     2.Maximum of 46 monsters.
     3.Boxes and crates.
Optional themes:
     4.Only use cc4-tex.wad textures.
     5. Every adjoining sector must be a different height (at least 4 units difference).
Session ended up with 14 fine maps to play in speedmapping standards. I still remember panic and worries to finish my map in time, despite feeling unwell and unfit to work on my submission. That map I ended up making, is still shortest one I ever done. Everything went well, until main host started feel unhappy and anxious, because they wanted to have more maps to fill "megawad" definition, that would be about 15-32 maps and most of participants left, because they got upset and angry(of course, no one likes that their efforts are undermined and underrated). Looking few years back, it wasn't worthy, Pigeon sessions had really strong start and promising future, only to be destroyed by someone's anxiety, high ambitions and show to someone "look, I'm doing better than you, go suffer that inactivity, hehe!". I tried to keep flame on from 3rd session(everything was transferred to me) and I said some questionable things on Abyssal speedmapping revival thread(something I still regret at this day)... After 4 sessions, I decided to silently quit and focus on what I really love. 

Would I recommend play this one? Sure, despite all this thing above I wrote, most of maps are really good in speedmapping standards, there are plenty of well known folks who contributed under original host. 
Some screenshots in no particular order:

Spoiler

etrn501.png
Screenshot_Doom_20210330_152513.png
Screenshot_Doom_20210330_152547.png
Screenshot_Doom_20210330_152736.png
Screenshot_Doom_20210330_152752.png
Screenshot_Doom_20210330_152838.png

Well, this concludes my random idgames search for today. 

I continue my journey.

Day 10

I play until I die or intentionally stop. I don't comment the wad where I die/stop.

Wad 1) WELCOME TO THE BACARDI SERIES! by LORDUNUM (Samuel Lock) (1996)

jhK5xdC-GzzM982-X1s6vAbSw-GT5p87UxANiU81Owehay_4-SoDa7S0WNAaX8XUOYBbXuEZ-xqPpvq1

q_2nqu_qqBrHCS8u_qQI86LSyOktRVjWbhLybFV-0HL4URpjUDMQfmfeCiHxetdjJRiP7x5_T85SkrHa

53WjwUlI7l0Xa8MpudJz88zDXQM3zKed1IXueKcb

An another DM wad from the 90's with good old cheesy custom sounds and graphics. I really love them to be honest, they make the weapons a lot more fun to use ! There are 5 levels which look very great for their time thanks to varied architecture , good color combinations and surprisingly aligned textures. The map 02 which takes place in a kind of sewer is very small and generic though. 

I also really dig the dark-blue sky . I think The bacandi series could be a very solid dm wad pour multiplayer addicts !

Wad 2) Swamplands by riderr3 (2014)

Spoiler

vBtd04M2IKVvMtjYNAUoblbfbfoTNM5j4RsKBB7V

izpmihBOwxehUkrt4g8dss3-KnN8Q1kVLhGd6dsS

6slpq2Kkps-2HgfQU81f6Yv3-p081QJL-N43z1gZ

mOIcCUqcTEP1pvm5z6p14sq-DxeAari6rGawqj3h

x1AB21z38fgOMdg6Ga1phutSLqnft3K13t38aD5f

raEGXmmEhd7LLET_469r-FPFBmx8d1guFX_7qhH4

sUgd6HjrZ0-QsZPLL__J58kZN8k8wMv3Qp5CFjW9

The Swamplands is an Ultimate Doom level designed for the E1M1 slot. The level takes place in a giant swamp with square buildings covered with vines scattered all over the map.

The progression and appearance of the level can be very reminiscent of the E3M6 level. However the green liquid does not cause any damage here. This level is still more difficult than a classic UD map because of the two cyberdemons that chase us relentlessly. The level becomes simple once you have eliminated them but in the meantime, it is quite scary to explore a building with the sounds of the cybers' footsteps lurking nearby.

The aesthetics of this level are very minimalist due to the vanilla limitations but the gameplay is well polished and you don't get bored exploring. I can criticize nevertheless the numerous invisible TP lines that make the progression unnecessarily more confusing.

Wad 3) NewDoom v1.1 by Kyle Mathews (1997)

Um, I don't really know what to say about that. This zip contains new sprites and new sounds, but everything is arranged in a weird way. I don't know how to launch all this stuff. So again expect something very cheesy with monsters throwing movie lines.

I died in doomsday fortress  by r.e. lubbelinkhof.

Spoiler

KNgEssGz3HBf0z_Z2ovmnF8zO-iQMBkRhLlRd8fF

4 hours ago, Roofi said:

I continue my journey.

Day 10

I play until I die or intentionally stop. I don't comment the wad where I die/stop.

Wad 1) WELCOME TO THE BACARDI SERIES! by LORDUNUM (Samuel Lock) (1996)

An another DM wad from the 90's with good old cheesy custom sounds and graphics. I really love them to be honest, they make the weapons a lot more fun to use ! There are 5 levels which look very great for their time thanks to varied architecture , good color combinations and surprisingly aligned textures. The map 02 which takes place in a kind of sewer is very small and generic though. 

I also really dig the dark-blue sky . I think The bacandi series could be a very solid dm wad pour multiplayer addicts !

Wad 2) Swamplands by riderr3 (2014)

Reveal hidden contents

vBtd04M2IKVvMtjYNAUoblbfbfoTNM5j4RsKBB7V

izpmihBOwxehUkrt4g8dss3-KnN8Q1kVLhGd6dsS

6slpq2Kkps-2HgfQU81f6Yv3-p081QJL-N43z1gZ

mOIcCUqcTEP1pvm5z6p14sq-DxeAari6rGawqj3h

x1AB21z38fgOMdg6Ga1phutSLqnft3K13t38aD5f

raEGXmmEhd7LLET_469r-FPFBmx8d1guFX_7qhH4

sUgd6HjrZ0-QsZPLL__J58kZN8k8wMv3Qp5CFjW9

The Swamplands is an Ultimate Doom level designed for the E1M1 slot. The level takes place in a giant swamp with square buildings covered with vines scattered all over the map.

The progression and appearance of the level can be very reminiscent of the E3M6 level. However the green liquid does not cause any damage here. This level is still more difficult than a classic UD map because of the two cyberdemons that chase us relentlessly. The level becomes simple once you have eliminated them but in the meantime, it is quite scary to explore a building with the sounds of the cybers' footsteps lurking nearby.

The aesthetics of this level are very minimalist due to the vanilla limitations but the gameplay is well polished and you don't get bored exploring. I can criticize nevertheless the numerous invisible TP lines that make the progression unnecessarily more confusing.

Wad 3) NewDoom v1.1 by Kyle Mathews (1997)

Um, I don't really know what to say about that. This zip contains new sprites and new sounds, but everything is arranged in a weird way. I don't know how to launch all this stuff. So again expect something very cheesy with monsters throwing movie lines.

I died in doomsday fortress  by r.e. lubbelinkhof.

Reveal hidden contents

KNgEssGz3HBf0z_Z2ovmnF8zO-iQMBkRhLlRd8fF

NewDoom sounds like something interesting. Good finds mate! Tho, idk if it's me but the screenshots seem to be broken links.

On 3/30/2021 at 6:34 AM, Misty said:

Oh, new thread already? Alrighty then, I guess I'll write about my random picks from idgames for this day, because lecture was cancelled for this day and I'm bored af:

1. Pirates by David Ginsberg(idk if it's real name and surname). Dated back to 1998, it replaces some sounds in wad. I found it cool, even if it doesn't fit doom aesthetics and sounds. Video would make a difference, but I'm too lazy to record it.

2.  James Bond skin for Doom legacy  by Chris "Dragon" Pisarczyk. It's actually not that accurate, because it doesn't replace skins, only player's hud with Bond's face. Here screenshot for you:

Reveal hidden contents

Screenshot_Doom_20210326_084002.png

3. The Blessed Engine 1.9 by legendary DOUG the Eagle and KANSAM. Same engine which was used in Sky May be. I couldn't open up this one sadly, but it's nice to know that it was documented and put in idgames.

4. Glaive by EANB. 9 maps long episode inspired by Scythe. I heard about this one a lot and I was so happy that random file rng in idgames was kind enough to give me opportunity to play it and give my review. Well, it actually does what it says - short punchy maps with Scythe ep1 vibes, it wouldn't be out of place in original set. If you don't know what to play - go give Glaive a try, it was fun and quick challenge that doesn't overstay it's welcome. It could use more blocking lines, not fun jump out from windows... but that's just my gripe with it. Screenshots(in no particular order):

Reveal hidden contents

etrn486.png
etrn476.png
etrn484.png
etrn483.png

5.Pigeon speedmapping session 02 by Various Mappers. Do I really need to write about this one? Oh, ok, I should, even if it would be less of review and more memory sharing. This one was themed after Thanksgiving Day I think, my memory is a bit faulty. There were 2 sessions in same day to accommodate people living in different time zones(I think it's a bit overkill and exhausting). Time limit was 3 hours for each session. People had to choose from 3 themes + optional themes: 
     1.Maximum of 6 textures and 6 flats.
     2.Maximum of 46 monsters.
     3.Boxes and crates.
Optional themes:
     4.Only use cc4-tex.wad textures.
     5. Every adjoining sector must be a different height (at least 4 units difference).
Session ended up with 14 fine maps to play in speedmapping standards. I still remember panic and worries to finish my map in time, despite feeling unwell and unfit to work on my submission. That map I ended up making, is still shortest one I ever done. Everything went well, until main host started feel unhappy and anxious, because they wanted to have more maps to fill "megawad" definition, that would be about 15-32 maps and most of participants left, because they got upset and angry(of course, no one likes that their efforts are undermined and underrated). Looking few years back, it wasn't worthy, Pigeon sessions had really strong start and promising future, only to be destroyed by someone's anxiety, high ambitions and show to someone "look, I'm doing better than you, go suffer that inactivity, hehe!". I tried to keep flame on from 3rd session(everything was transferred to me) and I said some questionable things on Abyssal speedmapping revival thread(something I still regret at this day)... After 4 sessions, I decided to silently quit and focus on what I really love. 

Would I recommend play this one? Sure, despite all this thing above I wrote, most of maps are really good in speedmapping standards, there are plenty of well known folks who contributed under original host. 
Some screenshots in no particular order:

Hide contents

etrn501.png
Screenshot_Doom_20210330_152513.png
Screenshot_Doom_20210330_152547.png
Screenshot_Doom_20210330_152736.png
Screenshot_Doom_20210330_152752.png
Screenshot_Doom_20210330_152838.png

Well, this concludes my random idgames search for today. 

That's some quality finds right there. One of the interesting things about the /idgames archive is that there are a lot of speedmapping compilations that have lots of history and value in there. Some are quite good, some are quite rare.

DAY 2 | sfffft/meow..P | Cast Draling | 2001 | Played on LZDoom + UV

f0208a4163548d63862d724edf73a9e0b6f63c8a.png

From 2001, this single player WAD contains one single map that manages to deliver quite the good times. With a simple and short layout, the main juice of this map focuses on constant combat, 100% relegated to keeping your hands busy. On the one hand, it is a simple combat that does not suffer from major alterations and is even relaxing to play in UV, compared to other maps of great difficulty. Overall, with a simple use of vanilla textures, plus a concrete layout that contains no major bugs and accomplishes what it wants to do, this is a short, fun and sweet map that gave me 2-3 minutes of nice fun. I can see this kind of map in a 2001 CP, no doubt. Fun and simple, good map.

After pressing the random file link several times and getting lots of Doom Deathmatch and Hexen (including Hexen Deathmatch maps too) maps, I finally got 2 Doom maps. One for Doom and other for Doom 2. Both were played as always: Doom (strict) compat mode, freelook, HMP difficulty.

The first one is a map for OG Doom called Confruntation with Otto released on 2005 by from Ioan Chera "Ebon". Replaces E3M8

According the author, this map is a "remake" of Wolfenstein 3D Episode 4 Floor 9 boss fight against Otto Giftmacher, hence the map's name. Well, there is nothing much to say here, since this remake is smaller than the original map, has some demons instead the original soldiers and changes Otto for a Spider Mastermind. the only nice detali here is the torches at the start of the map, the rest is forgetabble. Otto would get angry if sees his floor redecorated like that. :P

Have some pics:

Spoiler

Otto-1.jpg.ef951252deb8125e448bce5ac5b5ff1e.jpg

Nice lights

Otto-2.jpg.1b5f167c3180d8ffa35a4299e908cfc1.jpg

Otto-3.jpg.abbd4fc1ea177327aea811905d4ee764.jpg

Demon staring at the blue and red keys

Otto-4.jpg.b033ee72cdf73e4a770c5a10bba318c8.jpg

Fight against Otto a Spidermastermind

e_otto.wad_E3M8.jpg.dac3edb5682eb1603e02c93094d80232.jpg

Full map of Otto's new house

The second one is for Doom 2 and is called Library of Truth, released on 2019 by Zillo "Ziyo". Replaces MAP27

This one is interesting. This map was made for the "Modest Mapping Challenge", that according the autor "which allows the user A max of 40 sectors, and 4 enemy types a map". I have to say this one was pretty tough. From the beginning, you have an small maze (which is unmarked on the automap BTW) full of spectres and lost souls. Not a big deal since you get the shotty from the get go and there's plenty of sheels. The problem comes when you have to retrieve the three skull keys, where you press a switch and... let's say, the party starts.

Given the sector limit, the architecture is not much complex and is a bit repetitive on some parts, epecially because you'll see the book case texture almost everywhere. Overall, this map is not that bad but also not that good.

Screenshoots:

Spoiler

LoT-1.jpg.5ffe53733bb503d9e195be4a03743205.jpg

Library entrance

LoT-2.jpg.710c4252e9caa3c92122f01bcd3d0a63.jpg

Start of the maze

LoT-3.jpg.f1ea79aa6eaf2fac855dcca8b0896953.jpg

LoT-4.jpg.6bcccd9cef62d5e917d5186ac217b1c5.jpg

Da party - part 1 (Nightmare Spectres not incluided)

LoT-5.jpg.30d15cee3b8be2b9c780c539e7c92246.jpg

Da party - part 2

MM_Library27.wad_MAP27.jpg.5d102180ca31b82bb74a36b4d3c4bd43.jpg

Full Map

18 minutes ago, LUISDooM said:

After pressing the random file link several times and getting lots of Doom Deathmatch and Hexen (including Hexen Deathmatch maps too) maps, I finally got 2 Doom maps. One for Doom and other for Doom 2. Both were played as always: Doom (strict) compat mode, freelook, HMP difficulty.

The first one is a map for OG Doom called Confruntation with Otto released on 2005 by from Ioan Chera "Ebon". Replaces E3M8

According the author, this map is a "remake" of Wolfenstein 3D Episode 4 Floor 9 boss fight against Otto Giftmacher, hence the map's name. Well, there is nothing much to say here, since this remake is smaller than the original map, has some demons instead the original soldiers and changes Otto for a Spider Mastermind. the only nice detali here is the torches at the start of the map, the rest is forgetabble. Otto would get angry if sees his floor redecorated like that. :P

Have some pics:

Reveal hidden contents

Otto-1.jpg.ef951252deb8125e448bce5ac5b5ff1e.jpg

Nice lights

Otto-2.jpg.1b5f167c3180d8ffa35a4299e908cfc1.jpg

Otto-3.jpg.abbd4fc1ea177327aea811905d4ee764.jpg

Demon staring at the blue and red keys

Otto-4.jpg.b033ee72cdf73e4a770c5a10bba318c8.jpg

Fight against Otto a Spidermastermind

e_otto.wad_E3M8.jpg.dac3edb5682eb1603e02c93094d80232.jpg

Full map of Otto's new house

The second one is for Doom 2 and is called Library of Truth, released on 2019 by Zillo "Ziyo". Replaces MAP27

This one is interesting. This map was made for the "Modest Mapping Challenge", that according the autor "which allows the user A max of 40 sectors, and 4 enemy types a map". I have to say this one was pretty tough. From the beginning, you have an small maze (which is unmarked on the automap BTW) full of spectres and lost souls. Not a big deal since you get the shotty from the get go and there's plenty of sheels. The problem comes when you have to retrieve the three skull keys, where you press a switch and... let's say, the party starts.

Given the sector limit, the architecture is not much complex and is a bit repetitive on some parts, epecially because you'll see the book case texture almost everywhere. Overall, this map is not that bad but also not that good.

Screenshoots:

Hide contents

LoT-1.jpg.5ffe53733bb503d9e195be4a03743205.jpg

Library entrance

LoT-2.jpg.710c4252e9caa3c92122f01bcd3d0a63.jpg

Start of the maze

LoT-3.jpg.f1ea79aa6eaf2fac855dcca8b0896953.jpg

LoT-4.jpg.6bcccd9cef62d5e917d5186ac217b1c5.jpg

Da party - part 1 (Nightmare Spectres not incluided)

LoT-5.jpg.30d15cee3b8be2b9c780c539e7c92246.jpg

Da party - part 2

MM_Library27.wad_MAP27.jpg.5d102180ca31b82bb74a36b4d3c4bd43.jpg

Full Map

You got quite the interesting find with that Modest Mapping Challenge submission. As soon as I read that, I knew you were in for a party lol

sfft.wad, Crispy Doom, UV

I remember playing this wad in GZDoom sometime ago. I decided to spice things up by attempting to speedrun it. It ended up becoming really challenging when I did that. This level has too many pinkies and not enough ammo to deal with them, which means you're forced to kill most of them with the chainsaw they provide you. I did not like that. Despite this, the level managed to be quite fun. It was short, sweet, and to the point. Here's a demo I recorded in case you're curious.

sfftuvmax002.zip

Vezeni, sfffft and Pretty Hate Marines: Starfuckers Inc

UV | Continuous with Saves | GZDoom + Dead Marine and Supercharge

These three were better than what you found in #2, Endless. Starting with Vezeni, we've got ourselves a jail break! Haven't seen many prison-style maps and this one's kind of primitive but we'll be nice considering how old this WAD is. Anyways, it was all right. Presented a decent challenge, but it's kind of dull to look at. It's progression was a tad odd, but I certainly liked little additions like the part where you sneak around in a vent at one stage. I'd say it's the second best out of this batch of three that I played. Meanwhile, sfffft is pretty lame. Besides a fun hot-start with a hitscanner shoot-out and one little surprise at a keycard grab, there's just bugger all to say about it. A lot of square rooms with little to no detailing and very minimal design. It's another one of those maps that feels like not a great deal of time was spent on it and feels like a rush-job. It's the stinker of the three. Now, Pretty Hate Marines: Starfuckers Inc is the stand-out for me. It's audacity for sharing the same name as a kickass NIN track is not unearned as this is a terrific little techbase that's compact but highly detailed. It's the kind detailing and use of height variation that works as a textbook example of how you can make an otherwise simple map look really nice and interesting. The combat is really fun too, it had this frenetic feel to it and the demons were placed really well. The progression was interesting and I just had a great time with it overall. I'm definitely keeping it in my personal archive. 

Yay, I officially started my week long Easter vacation, I guess I can celebrate it by playing various stuff from idgames archive. Today's random pick consists more of old good Doom 1 content with some sprinkles of Doom 2 level.

1. There's no place like home. by Steven L. Bareman. It's one of those myhouse.wad recreation attempts, consisting of sector furniture and trying to keep up with house plan. I can even imagine author's excitement - "wow, I can build my real house in doom, how cool is that!". It's dated back to 1994, when Doom was new phenomenon and people were willing to share their details over the developing net. It has that cozy feel and here's not many demons to shoot. Screenshots:

Spoiler

etrn508.png

etrn509.png

etrn513.png

2. The Day the Community Died by Paul Corfiatis. He claims that this is his last jokewad. I kind of left confused, because I couldn't get that punchline and seems most of reviewers felt the same way. Music after minute or two got really annoying. Here's not much to say about it, I guess that areas look quite neat.

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20210331_081200.png
Screenshot_Doom_20210331_081115.png

3. Fame by Mark Raine according to lupinx-Kassman review for this set. Replaces e1m1- e1m5 slots. I found this one interesting and quirky. There is sense of place and texture work for those times is really decent. Gameplay wasn't that difficult, mostly felt like walk in the park. You can look for yourself.

Spoiler

etrn536.png
etrn529.png
etrn541.png

4. Mud by Ben Allred and Evan Sarli. Seems two friends decided to collab on small e1m1 replacement. It's short and quick, it left me guessing who did each part as some places are quite different in texturing choices. 

Spoiler

etrn549.png
etrn553.png
etrn551.png

5. Danne's E1 by Daniel "dannebubinga" Jakobsson. Full Knee-Deep in the Dead episode replacement. It takes slow approach, but after few 3 maps, it bumps up difficulty and there are plenty scenarios where player can get easily killed or hurt badly. It took me some time to get around this, but I found it enjoyable experience. Visually looks like traditional e1 techbase stuff. If you enjoy Doom ep1, you might like it. 

Spoiler

etrn571.png
etrn587.png
etrn583.png
etrn595.png

That concludes my searches for today. 

Vezeni - Kelvin (Vanilla Doom 2, 2002 but uploaded to idgames on 2005, played on doom2.exe with DosBox)

Spoiler

doom2-000.png

doom2-001.png

doom2-002.png

doom2-003.png

doom2-004.png

A medium sized level sets in a prison with some "realism" sections like the courtyard with the flag, is not a bad map but not a memorable or good map either. D_RUNNIN doesn't work on this level, idmus-ed it to the music in MAP18. It's a ok map, pretty reminiscent.

Jungle Fever - John C Ford (Vanilla Doom, 1995, played on doom.exe with DosBox)

Spoiler

doom-000.png

doom-001.png

doom-002.png

Another puzzle like map from 1995 sets in a jungle or vines surrounded medieval abstract structure, another not great map, especially for the usage of the worst puzzle stuff in map (teleport invisible mazes, i hate them!) and that radical 90s "poor literacy is kewl" moment with that ID RULZ wroute on the layout you see in the second shot in the spoiler. Not horrible as the votes and the review may you think, but not a great map too.

My random picks for today are two Doom 2 maps, a boom compatible map and a vanilla one.

Played on GZDoom, HMP, Doom (Strict), freelook.

The first one is from 2000 (released as standalone in 2006) called Sector 10 by Dimiter Georgiev. Replaces MAP01

This map was part of a megawad called "10secto2.wad" replacing MAP07. As the name implies, this HUGE map is made just with 10 sectors. While this map's architecture is not espectacular, it has some neat effects to keep on the 10 sector limit, some parts look pretty good despite those limits. There are some annoying moments too, like the long catwalk sections, just a bad move and you'll take an acid bath at the bottom (there is one with an archie too XD)

This map has ~500 monsters and most fights get very repetitive especially near the end, on a grid like room section full of imps and shotgunners, with more archies and some barons on the way. 

An average map, and despite 10 sector limit it manages to pull some neat tricks here and there. Have to say I had fun playing this one.

Here have 10 8 screenshots of the map

Spoiler

10Sector-1.jpg.d1226609c561a70ff1cd824780bfd5f0.jpg

10Sector-2.jpg.fd94bfdbf7e82d7a5b6907a7fae629b7.jpg

10Sector-3.jpg.b284a845d9851c9a2d9dec9741281023.jpg

10Sector-4.jpg.9e93765016c5fdd2eaef6974bd9b3a99.jpg

The catwalk 

10Sector-5.jpg.ee5771e64c7200586e6e5cce9359eeff.jpg

10Sector-6.jpg.636554d0861e9d84d6b3a62b4e38e07e.jpg

The catwalk pt.2

10Sector-7.jpg.7dadaef994fe371ce73a0fc63b349168.jpg

Bye

sector10.wad_MAP01.jpg.851b6a42f3d1f2500eba1b7585298d01.jpg

Behold the 10 sector hugeness!

The second map is called PHASE_6.WAD. It is from '96 and was made by Brian James Clever. Replaces MAP01

Here is a nice medium sized tech-base map, very generous with weapons and ammo, so generous that it gives you the BFG900 almost at the beginning. It also has some good designs here and there with nice fights along the way. There's not much else to say, other than I had fun with this one too, very 90's, just how I like them XD

Spoiler

Phase6-1.jpg.45b7635822fc27921b50318901782229.jpg

Start

Phase6-2.jpg.826cf4e0b1dd190b8d53b1dcee18c6e8.jpg

Remember to always wear protection ;)

Phase6-3.jpg.902c59a9a96440dab3f8472544e8cef8.jpg

Shipping instructions

Phase6-4.jpg.7410f7713dd2712f3464dc70d7bb774d.jpg

Phase6-5.jpg.8fd84018a42e2f742b8148c2fb7cf268.jpg

Exit

PHASE_6.WAD_MAP01.jpg.5ff1182b7d4a7cae2532fd2401ea0549.jpg

Full map by Slade3

DAY 3 | Jungle Fever | John C. Ford | 1995 | Played on LZDoom + UV

d109ebff53919a4a20e3b46f47d9a0bf612ed5d5.png

A 1995 WAD that replaces the E2M1 map from the classic Doom. The only review of this WAD in /idgames criticized this WAD for absolutely everything, especially for being too lost. That lowered my expectations a bit so it probably helped me to be more satisfied with the final result.

This is a map with a much more interesting design than it looks. I thought it would be a simple sand with vine textures but nope. Yes it is made entirely of vines, surprise surprise, but there are a multitude of varied rooms with different encounters the gameplay flows quite well while being dynamic with the development of the map, offering some pretty decent progress that is enjoyable. It has mazes, simple to complete by the way, tight areas, explosive combat and a good amount of enemies. Sure, the visuals are, as you'd expect, a mess, but the map overall has a solid layout and gameplay, giving it an excellent score for a 1995 game. I enjoyed it.

Pretty Hate Marine: Starfuckers Inc. | Pablo Dictter | 2002 | Played on LZDoom + UV

b94aa8f315df0f15047ac598126e149cbf45ec89.png

Holy shit, this is actually very good. A map created by Pablo Dictter, a prolific author who worked extensively during the early 2000s delivering a multitude of independent maps. A quick search for the author in the /idgames archive and you will find a total of 26 files to his name, the lowest of which has 3 stars. On average, the guy has an excellent rating and based on my experience with this map I can assume the rest of his output has to be of good quality.

This is a short but well designed map that makes use of the classic tech-base style with a balance reminiscent of the original E4, after all the map itself replaces E4M2. Fast, interesting and with excellent action. The low amount of enemies is rewarded with excellent positioning in a small but well justified layout that makes use of personal combat. There is not a single zombie soldier and the only ones we will find are shotgunners accompanied by Imps and Cacos. This map is not overly difficult, but we can clearly see the kind of attention that was put into creating a good gameplay. The visuals, on the other hand, are to be admired, taking into account the year it was released I can say that the simple but well detailed design makes this a glorious proof of how authors with a good touch are able to create works that will last a lifetime. This is a great map and one that is definitely worth playing.

Really good finds today! Had a lot of fun and loved both maps. Good times.

@Biodegradable Glad you're having found Bio! They're are def waaay better then the previous ones, especially the work by Pablo. Amazing stuff. Let's hope the weeks ends with a hight note!

Also, maybe you guys can help me come with a system to avoid burnout:

I was thinking on making the threads each week for 3 months in what I call a ''Tour''. Each tours lasts 3 months during which we play at least 4 random WADs each week. After finishing a tour, we take maybe, a month of rest? Not sure yet. It would look something like this:

1 Tour equals:

3 Months,

13 Weeks est.,

91 days,

For a total of about 52 WADs for a whole Tour.

What do you guys say? Would like to hear some opinions!

55 minutes ago, Endless said:

Also, maybe you guys can help me come with a system to avoid burnout:

I was thinking on making the threads each week for 3 months in what I call a ''Tour''. Each tours lasts 3 months during which we play at least 4 random WADs each week. After finishing a tour, we take maybe, a month of rest? Not sure yet. It would look something like this:

1 Tour equals:

3 Months,

13 Weeks est.,

91 days,

For a total of about 52 WADs for a whole Tour.

What do you guys say? Would like to hear some opinions!

Looks okay for me. For my part, I do not follow any particular formalism.  I count the days and I bring the review on each finished wad. Your thread just motivates me to write them. :)

Day 11

I play until I die or intentionally stop. I don't comment the wad where I die/stop.

Wad 1) CadsDM.zip by Dale Harris (Cadman) (2003)

Spoiler

SK4ESeb__hUR5OPpWK-TNEG7phRru-CXp6dkf7g-

LaVD7TrAnqnuAnz3SPhtyGzCL2Z1GqAuif5Z5Qzr

An old Deathmatch wad designed for Zdoom that features two maps. These are quite classic with a brown fortress theme for one and marbled for the other. However, this wad highlights different Zdoom effects such as arches, slopes and mirrors. These additions are of more cosmetic interest but demonstrate different new features of the Zdoom port.

Wad 2) .SPC to .IT Example. by Dgon92 (2008)

Tiny wad zdoom that replaces the music of the map 01 of Doom 2 by a music from the megaman games. The music is very nice but it doesn't compensate the superficiality of this mod. I would have preferred it to replace all the music.

I stupidly died in Kmetl Series by Kurt Kesler

Spoiler

TQj5VlI4AiLzaNikNFuNJ2XIZfLirqYF8dwlRJKk

@Endless I was thinking for 2-3 weeks for each thread, new thread for each random idgames adventures every new week seems a bit overkill for me and it doesn't create sense of continuation, but that's just me. 

I don't have much time, but I try to review everything I play as best as I can :D 

This one is...

Kobal by Shadowman 12/02/07

Link Here

What can I say, well done! This one lets you start in a sorta of Jungle temple, slowly turning in a sci-fi / Predator theme. Length is rightful for the width of the map (ended in 30 minutes), there are narrow-like mazes, big areas with big fights, teleports and quick but funny rebuses (using levelers or wall-skulls). Not particularly difficult, but don't be smug or you'll regret it! The WAD features some color-modified demons, which I suppose do slightly more damage than their normal cousins. 
Overall I enjoyed Kobal a lot, no idea if this Shadowman is famous in the doomworld but hey, check this work of him because he deserve it.

Screenshot_Doom_20210403_135520.png.c05006a559e9ad425a2cb907cff50940.pngScreenshot_Doom_20210403_135947.png.ae5d1f9a43a1279a93e686402c8493f9.pngScreenshot_Doom_20210403_141344.png.778d44f2087dea5af38e7558910d0987.pngScreenshot_Doom_20210403_142409.png.01d7a55727919a96ab51e81f56c32ec5.pngScreenshot_Doom_20210403_135300.png.4de48cbd2892144093bae86f8f9e0738.png

@Endless thats a good idea. Maybe, instead 3 months, it can be 2 months and 1 month to rest? There can be 4 Tours a year.

TBH anything works for me, since this thread is a good excuse to fire up some Doom on my computer since I do most of my dooming on android through Delta-Touch... :P

Anyways, let's continue with this. Today I have a Vanilla Doom map called Skull, released in 2010 by Rob Morton. It was played with GZDoom, Doom strict and HMP difficulty.

A nice medium sized map with designs reminiscent from the 90's, mostly because it was one of the author's first attempts at doom mapping. It is a bit tough at the start given the limited weapons and ammo available and the monsters it throws at you, but with some patience (and monster infighting) you can go through it. Later on the map, gets more generous with it. The map architecture is basic with some bizzarre designs (like the shape of the map itself in example) here and there. I really enjoyed it, especially on places where you can get lots of monster infighting XD

Screenshots

Spoiler

Skull-1.jpg.2969b1bc6e0777ee8dfb56e8ee87846f.jpg

Skull-2.jpg.4cfeb66e7bdf553ab495522a00d72b2f.jpg

Skull-3.jpg.384e6ef4c2be208941c6b929d09e9a6e.jpg

Skull-4.jpg.add187d8e30381aa54388892ac64632e.jpg

Skull-5.jpg.aeb119c01a0de43738e249cc4eeaa03c.jpg

Looks like I'm late to the party

Skull-6.jpg.0cec312291d61150c566484a9e6a137c.jpg

The well guarded exit

SKULL.WAD_E2M1.jpg.7cd10fbaa901db5265f8b83dc72a8daa.jpg

White skull key map

Edited by LUISDooM

Random - P.L.J. Heinen (Vanilla Doom 2, 1995 but uploaded on idgames in 2015, Played with Crispy Doom 5.10.0)

Spoiler

DOOM0004.png

DOOM0005.png

DOOM0006.png

Not bad for a early mapping era map, some hallways feels pretty empty and progression is pretty cryptic, but the gameplay is pretty thought, the theme mixture is intersting (especialy the little city section), the star sky and the T2 theme are cool. Fun map with lots of cute eye-candy like the street detail in the little city section.

DAY 4 | Random | P.L.J. Heinen | 1995 | Played on LZDoom + UV

9883014548caef2bbfa67d9e8c9ec872c6a77a4e.png

What appears to be yet another WAD lost among the annals of Doomworld during the 2010s is actually an old submission sent in 1995. A not-so-small map with a medium size that makes excellent use of detail but sacrifices a bit of gameplay juice and binds too much in a layout too complicated and lost for its own good. It seems to try to create a sense of varied adventure that starts first in subway levels and then moves up, but sadly, I can't enjoy much of a map if it's too lost. Still, it has certain salvageable aspects like the visuals that give it some respect.

TechBase1 | @tuturbo1991 | 2021 | Played on LZDoom + UV

3da2af22df7211bd47f80a7cdb5210441f62e359.png

Portrayed as the first complete map, this is a small WAD with a single map for DOOM 2 designed with a classic style and a good understanding of progression as well as rewards. This map combines a solid base layout with decent visuals that function as the pedestal to place, what I consider, the best factor, the gameplay. With a constant fighting style and varied enemies as well as an excellent sense of compensation and satisfaction, this small map offers good scenarios that are both fast and fun to play. In itself, it is a simple map that manages to do what it sets out to do: offer quality fun. High recommendation for those looking for a short and sweet Doom 2 map!

-

And with this, week is over. Thanks everyone! Tomorrow I'll release the new thread and this time it's going to last for 2 weeks (14 days) to see how it fits into the tour system. :D

Day 12

I play until I die or intentionally stop. I don't comment the wad where I die/stop.

Wad 1) Neal by Mauzki (2016)

Spoiler

cZ7NDlYHUYMk0d8-wZnH6jlQnS1Zzn3OuY-HGs-g

WNsF2ZpPSRfWkuQallo3qONMhB_EOAK0QsQPoagk

W6-dYFJmas_X_9N6_HPpBMdN6Gb3EZe768jA7DcV

Xjsu6kB42O22mQFgu9db8ZSenhr33AqsGla-DYwY

The author explained in the text that this was his very first map. It is a vanilla map and I must say that I was pleasantly surprised on several points.

First of all, the author tested his map on the right ports, which is a change from mappers who often make the mistake of only testing with gzdoom.

Then, despite the very basic aesthetics and the very square layout, the gameplay is particularly enjoyable with a lot of bonuses and ammunition. Moreover, Mauzky has added a new midi music that makes the fights much more dynamic.

Anyway, it may not be a masterpiece but I've seen much worse in terms of "my first wad".

Well, I did a stupid maneuver in the DM wad The Building, Paint the town red by Nick Paske which resulted in an unexpected encounter with a cyberdemon rocket!

Spoiler

DOOM0005.png