Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Artman2004

Does no one get excited for movies anymore?

I know Joker was a spin-off from the Batman series, but I really enjoyed it. Just saw it a few months ago, great acting and pacing, just a fine example of filmmaking. Generally speaking though, I’m sick to death of superhero movies. With a tiny handful of exceptions, they just don’t do anything that interests me much.

I’m hesitantly excited for the upcoming Dune movie, it would be nice to get something better than the old one (which wasn’t bad or anything, just kind of unfocused and weird).

Even though there’s only very few films I get excited for, it doesn’t mean I don’t love the medium. It’s the same with gaming - I’m only interested in about 1% of what’s out there, but that doesn’t mean I’ve written it off, I just accept that it’s an over saturated market.

What I enjoy about most new releases, I shit you not, is watching the Rifftrax versions (basically a stripped down continuation of MST3K). Their commentary on films continues to crack me up all these years later, regardless of the quality of the film itself.

I haven't been to the cinema for so long! I feel very excited for John Wick 4, hopefully I'll be able to go with my dad and brother when it all ends.

10 hours ago, omalefico32x said:

i could list way more if we talked about dead poll 2

for me my favorite movie from the 2010's

I like Deadpool, it's fun and a bit unique. A good movie of 2010s. But I doubt even a quarter of its scenes will be remembered like Terminator 2. Dead Pool takes the piss too much with sexual and violent jokes. The beginning action scene was great but the rest doesn't make much of an impact. It's not exactly a cinema master piece, but rather a enjoyable and fun movie.

It's hard to get excited for any film nowadays when the notion, "it's X, but-" keeps popping into my head. In a nutshell, stop with goddamn reboots/prequels/sequels, and come up with new shit.

The only most recent film i've thoroughly enjoyed front and back was Hardcore Henry. I was disinterested in the entire MCU, to the point I still haven't even seen Endgame fully yet. Practically no film of the above even garnered an interest, since i've been burned out by too many of them just being ok. It's just... hard to find a film to give a damn for, when I feel we've reach the creative bottom of the barrel at hollywood, that just continuously makes the most recognizable or safest shit.

MCU films are nice and fluffy even if they're kinda war crime apologetic default culture where the fight scenes are just people waving their hands about =P Logan at least was a genuinely good western

but amazing films come out all the time and get not a fraction of the publicity a big action film or costume drama thing would. not so much in the last few years cos of the obvious, but the world's replete with great movies that don't necessarily get released at local cinemas, and I read reviews of them from people who attended film festivals and try to imagine ever seeing them myself. I guess you need live in one capital or another to receive anything but blockbusters

Movies cost a lot of £££ to see, so I wait until they're on DVD and get 'em cheap at car boots :) The only one I spent money on in a theatre 'recently' was Dredd in 2012, and only then as I have been reading 2000AD since it started when was an 11yo kid in 1976. I spent money on the Stallone Dredd too, back in the mid 90s - and wished I hadn't :( Most movies are too long now; I have several DVDs, bought on spec for 50p each at car boots before lockdown, that I simply haven't time to delete the best part of an evening on. Far too busy with astronomy, photography, and of course, DOOM!

Yes and no.

For instance, as others have said, we have had some awesome movies like “Joker” and the “John Wick” series and I loved these movies!

On the other hand though, I do think good movies are becoming less frequent and also see a lot of what could have been good movies brought down by shoehorning political crap into them.

What I mean by the last part is before the pitchforks come out, while I have no problem with having political messages in movies I notice a lot of movies just seem to add a bunch of political crap that adds nothing to the plot and never comes up again.

For instance Veronica from Fallout NV is an amazing and interesting person who is gay. That it just a part of who she is. In movies these days you often find the “gay character” (or whatever - just using that example here so we can directly compare to Veronica) and that is the only character trait they have and is the only thing they bring to the movie.

Maybe I’m just old fashioned but I like to think we all have many different, defining characteristics and I really wish Hollywood would get over this one dimensional character phase.

P.s. Another great movie I thought of with the politics done really well is “Dallas Buyers Club”. If you haven’t seen it, go watch it.

P.s.s Please don’t turn this thread political all! I’m just providing my view on OP’s question so agree or disagree, let’s not completely derail the thread :-)

19 hours ago, Nekr0s1s said:

until all liberals and their politically correctness propaganda are annihilated, i will never watch another newer movie again. i want to escape this shitty reality, not be reminded of it.

R.I.P. Hollywood
19XX - 20XX

...Have you seen the irony of complaining about "liberals" ruining things while you posted a video of a SOAD song?

2 minutes ago, DooM Bear said:

What I mean by the last part is before the pitchforks come out, while I have no problem with having political messages in movies I notice a lot of movies just seem to add a bunch of political crap that adds nothing to the plot and never comes up again.

People get fixated on the presence of such things but it would help just to call it for what it actually is.

It's shit writing. That's all it is, because all stories have something to say but bad writing doesn't say it very well. Now why we get that shit writing is interesting but at heart I think its just a byproduct of encroaching corporate culture in movie making and a lack of respect for the art of film making in the name of chasing the lowest common denominator. And these suits have no fucking sincerity and they are not helping anyone. I think Mauler said it best about Disney;

Last word on this trilogy of films and I couldn't have said it better myself. 

Touching on what Mark and Doom Bear brought up, I fucking love the John Wick films. It's been such a stupidly long time since I became invested in a franchise and got REALLY excited for the next installment. I just hope they don't run it into the ground with too many sequels. I think ending it with John Wick 4 would be best. If they turn it into the Fast & Furious equivalent of action movies, it'd break my cynical and withered little heart. I hope they don't do that. Send it off with a dignified bang!

On 3/29/2021 at 7:44 PM, P41R47 said:

But probably I can die only viewing Cyrano in my life and just being happy about it all :)

Depardieu or Ferrer?

The 1950 Cyrano movie is one of my favorites. The fencing is some of the best I've ever seen and Ferrer's delivery of Cyrano's wit is dazzling.

I don't like the way action-adventure movies currently work. Too much CG, way way too much editing, constant closeups and shaky cam, all make me feel disconnected from what's happening.

Also, the prevailing trend in film scores has been to make sure they never steal the focus. They've become extremely rudimentary and unobtrusive, which takes away one of the biggest components of movies that engages my imagination and emotions.

Edited by Aaron Blain

1 hour ago, Aaron Blain said:

Depardieu or Ferrer?

Both :)

But stylistically, i'm more aligned with Depardieu acting.

His nose is properly placed on that film, and i love how deep he get into the character.

Cyrano is probably one of the most charismatic both real life and fictions characters ever.

I love his Comical History of the States and Empires of the Moon.

Way ahead of hs time, but that happends with almost all satirist of the old days.

i don't, mainly cuz most of the stuff coming out nowadays is just the same rehashed shit over and over again cuz studio executives are too terrified to take any sort of risks

9 hours ago, DSC said:

...Have you seen the irony of complaining about "liberals" ruining things while you posted a video of a SOAD song?

chuds are incapable of that

Edited by roadworx

At last time I watch some movies by Catalina Video.

I don't know can they be a recent movies. But I love them.

For example "Boy Band". My favourite movie from Catalina Video.