Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MFG38

[Now on /idgames!] 3x3: Take Two - 3 flats, 3 textures, 3 monster types speedmaps again!

I made one!

Info:

Spoiler

Map Name: High Class Bypass

Author: PeceMan

Build Time: About 6 Hours

Play Time: Around 20 min

Music: "Whipped n Chained" by Doomkid from Mid the way ID did

Textures: Brick6 ; Pancase1 ; Support3

Flats: GrnRock ; Floor4_6 ; FWater1

Difficulty Settings: Yes

Ports Tested: PrBoom+ ; GlBoom+ ; GZDoom

Description: "Find and kill all Revenants and Mancuby, using only the Super Shotgun and the Rocket Launcher. High class monsters against high class weapons!"

File:

(V4)  https://www.mediafire.com/file/iodnjxg4plkpbae/High_Class_Bypass.wad/file

Screenshots:

https://imgur.com/a/Fe69cS1

It's a slower paced, exploration based map. Estimated play time is over 10 min, but enemy count is ~60. Can be beat UVMax in under 8 minutes.

I didn't pick any music for it. If anyone want's to donate a fitting Midi I'll use that, but I don't mind using a default song.

Playtesters welcome!

Edited by PeceMan : Version 4 available

3 hours ago, PinkFlamingo said:

Map Name: Toxic Rumble

Author: PinkFlamingo

(...)

This map is awesome!

I recorded a demo of my playthrough (attached). I had a few attempts but on this one I managed to max the map. Funnily I found the soulsphere secret for the first time on this run when I was at 4% desperately looking for health! That was great :) I really enjoyed the looks, the gameplay and the layout!

prboom-plus -file 3x3_Toxic_Rumble.wad -skill 4 -complevel 9 -playdemo 3x3_Toxic_Rumble_demo_by_jacek_uvmax.lmp

3x3_Toxic_Rumble_demo_by_jacek_uvmax.zip

13 hours ago, MFG38 said:

just to give them a fair start on the next map.

Hold Up

I think most maps were designed to be Pistol started... At least I know mine was, and I suspect most of the others were as well...

Is it possible to make it a Pistol-start-only wad? Or is there some way to force players to pistol start, even while playing continuosly? 

3 hours ago, PeceMan said:

Hold Up

I think most maps were designed to be Pistol started... At least I know mine was, and I suspect most of the others were as well...

Is it possible to make it a Pistol-start-only wad? Or is there some way to force players to pistol start, even while playing continuosly? 

My map was rejected on related grounds.  It would have been nice going into this knowing whether or not maps should have been designed for continuous play or pistol starting, which map types and/or gimmicks were off limits, and what the target difficulty was.

7 hours ago, PeceMan said:

Pistol starts won't be enforced in the final mapset, chiefly because I want players to decide for themselves whether they want to play continuous or pistol starts. Death exits are a way to enforce pistol starts, but I'd generally advise against them.

3 hours ago, A.o.D. said:

My map was rejected on related grounds.  It would have been nice going into this knowing whether or not maps should have been designed for continuous play or pistol starting

I didn't reject your map outright. You withdrew it yourself after being told to cut the AV exit and deciding not to. Don't try to twist the truth when there's contrary evidence.

At any rate, the rule of thumb here is to balance maps for pistol starts but consider continuous players as well. I don't like to repeat myself, but the reason I told you to cut the AV exit was because I didn't see it being viable for continuous play. Starting the next map with <5% health because they went for the wrong exit would've been a death sentence unless there was a Berserk or something right at the start to give them that much-needed morale boost. And with these sorts of CPs where continuous play is offered as an option, there's no guarantee of that being the case.

@Salmon My expectations for this were admittedly high after your entry in the first 3x3, and I'm happy to report that you managed to meet them. The visuals are the definite highlight here, with the predominantly blue/magenta color scheme, and your music choice mixes with them well to create a nice atmosphere. The gameplay was fun, and I'd say that the balance was on-point. Funnily enough, I played through most of the map without the SSG - I only picked it up when I stumbled upon it after having picked up all of the keys. I can only assume that I was meant to have it much earlier than that, which is completely on me for overlooking it. Anyway, great stuff - no major criticisms from me.

@PeceMan The play time estimate of your map did initially worry me, but given that it's beatable in under 10 minutes - and that I personally managed to beat it in about 8 - I'm inclined to keep it in for consideration. It's a decently good map with hectic gameplay, though the AV in sector 158 is a bit of a problem unless the player happens to have enough rockets to dispose of him before he can incinerate them. I'm also not sure about the AVs behind the exit door - I'd replace those with Revenants, since disposing of two AVs with no cover or BFG can prove to be quite frustrating. Other than that, I have no improvement suggestions.

High Class Bypass V2

Info:

Spoiler

Map Name: High Class Bypass

Author: PeceMan

Build Time: About 7 Hours

Play Time: Around 15 min

Music: "Whipped n Chained" by Doomkid from Mid the way ID did

Textures: Brick6 ; Pancase1 ; Support3

Flats: GrnRock ; Floor4_6 ; FWater1

Difficulty Settings: Yes

Ports Tested: PrBoom+ ; GlBoom+ ; GZDoom

Description: "Find and kill all Revenants and Mancuby, using only the Super Shotgun and the Rocket Launcher. High class monsters against high class weapons!"

File:

(V4) https://www.mediafire.com/file/iodnjxg4plkpbae/High_Class_Bypass.wad/file

Changelog:

• Added Decorations, mainly.
  • About this:
    On 4/11/2021 at 4:55 AM, MFG38 said:

the AV in sector 158 is a bit of a problem unless the player happens to have enough rockets to dispose of him before he can incinerate them.

The player is meant to take a hit there or (if they're lucky) retreat back through the door. I added extra health in the previous room, in case they don't have enough to tank the hit.

• About this:

On 4/11/2021 at 4:55 AM, MFG38 said:

the AVs behind the exit door

I left them, because they're meant to be the big end to a monster-closet-friendly level, but I added plenty of health after them, so that players can recover from the battle in time for the next level.

• Found and fixed a bug where the Archviles at the end would fall down the exit floor.

• Found and fixed a bug where some of the monsters in the closet in the yellow key room would be stuck.

• Moved slightly the revenant in the Rocket Launcher room.

Edited by PeceMan : Version 4 available

@MFG38, thanks!  I was actually worried about the SSG not being visible enough so I'll do something to fix that.  You're supposed to be able to pick it up before the blue key fight if you want.  Maybe I'll put one of the slime falls behind it to highlight it better or see if there's something I can do with the lighting.

I'd also be happy to adjust the difficulty if you end up needing an easier or harder map when you're closer to compiling.  Since it's mostly low tier enemies I can adjust it pretty easily with different health placement.

2 minutes ago, Salmon said:

I'd also be happy to adjust the difficulty if you end up needing an easier or harder map when you're closer to compiling.

You needn't worry about that, the difficulty is fine as it is. But I won't stop you from tweaking it if you feel the need.

3x3-bx-fin.wad

This should be the final version of my map unless someone finds a way to seriously break it. By the way I'm perfectly happy with a secret slot as I think it would live better there anyway. :)

Changes:

-difficulty settings

-added a voodoo trigger so you no longer have to archvile jump at the start if the skill is lower than UV

-added or changed minor geometry details

-small changes in thing placement everywhere

-compulsively tweaked a million random vertices by 1 pixel for no reason

I also recorded first attempt demos for almost every map posted so far, but it's late here and writing up my thoughts and posting them all is gonna take a while so I'll try to do it tomorrow.

17 hours ago, BoxY said:

I had a terrible time with the first one... I ended up degrelessnessing my way through it all.

But I just played it in HMP and had a great time!

However, this is still definitely still the hardest, harshest one so far. That's partly why I'm happy I beat it, even if it wasn't on UV difficulty.

2 hours ago, PeceMan said:

I had a terrible time with the first one... I ended up degrelessnessing my way through it all.

But I just played it in HMP and had a great time!

However, this is still definitely still the hardest, harshest one so far. That's partly why I'm happy I beat it, even if it wasn't on UV difficulty.

Nice, good to hear the difficulty settings are working cuz I kinda rushed them and wasn't sure if they'd be fun or not. :)

Here's all the demos I recorded so far in random order. Some contain deaths but they all exit at some point.

Vile Book Club - probably the easiest and shortest submission I played, but I had fun. Progression felt natural and fun, I just really like wads where you can run over the tops of bookshelves for some reason. Using up a monster slot just to place one vile in the map was maybe kind of a waste.

High Class Bypass - I guess this wasn't so much for me, it felt kinda large and mazey and I think if someone got lost they could easily end up spending more than 10 minutes in the map. Combat was okay, although the way that enemies and closets were placed kind of gave the player a lot of opportunity to just peek around corners or through doors to kill everything. No technical issues though, and I know some people like this kind of exploratory map.

Coastal (v2) - Neat map with a pretty good texture selection and cute details. The platforming caco fight is cool. I think my only real criticism would be that the zombiemen feel like a waste of a monster slot since they don't do much except act like walking ammo dispensers. Just chaingunners for hitscan could have worked fine and the third slot could have been used for something else. I really like the Secret of Evermore midi presumably ripped from Sunlust, works great here.

Keep Out - decent map, I think the only thing I don't like about it is that there are so many tiny cramped rooms and corridors, it would have been nice to have some variation between large and small areas. The maze section was probably the low point in that regard. Still, it played okay overall.

Metal 2 Metal - pretty awesome map with distinct and memorable geometry and some nice fights. I usually don't like maps that restrict health but I think it works fine here because all the chosen monsters have easily dodged attacks if you're playing properly. I managed to face rocket to 3 hp but scraped by.

Moss Cushion (v1) - neat map with a great midi and slightly zany personality all around. I like the little details that feel like they're just kinda there to be there rather than for any particular gameplay purpose. I think the only thing I didn't like was bumping around through some overly narrow corridors and rooms.

Metal-Pipe-Skin - pretty cool that this combo was randomly generated, it ended up working really well. The use of lava where you have to grab a radsuit and jump down to do something on a timer was pretty nice. I think the main thing I didn't like was that it feels like there's not much visual distinction between areas in terms of lighting, details etc that can make the map feel a bit mazey for navigation. Also I'm pretty sure the hell knight isn't supposed to be able to walk into that teleporter and camp the player on the other side.

myhouse.wad - An eternally classic theme done justice, although it's more like mymansion in this case. Lots of small cool details to be found and I had to take a step back at the end to admire the sector hot air balloon. Really fun fights, I think the only thing I found weird is all the cacos that were outside in the pool area just ended up bunching up in front of the door where they were extremely easy to kill with BFG, that seems unintended.

Nebula Swamp - very high quality stuff albeit in a slightly eye melting palette. Even though the description was chill and adventurey I felt like I was being driven pretty quickly and deliberately through the encounters which is a sign of good progression, except the part where I forgot where I left the other green armour and got lost but that's on me. Awesome map.

Toxic Rumble - great looking texture theme, and everything felt carefully tested and balanced. The part with the small islands in the huge pool of nukage was quite short but felt pretty memorable. Nice try with the dropping floor trap at the end.

I think that's everything, if I didn't record a map it's probably because it was in a .rar or the link was dead.

1 hour ago, BoxY said:

I had forgotten the joy of seeing someone else play a map I made myself

1 hour ago, BoxY said:

I guess this wasn't so much for me

It's definitely clear our playstyles are very different. You're actually good at the game, for one.

I on the other hand, am a very savestate-heavy player. So monster-closet-heavy maps fit me better, since I run no risk of loosing 15 minutes of progress on a single death.

On the topic of which, I'm surprised, yet pleased, that you only died once. Means my monster closets weren't excesively unfair, once you got used to them (or at least that's how I wanna interpret that).

5 hours ago, PeceMan said:

Meanwhile, I don't have the patience to one shot a map, even if it's a short one. But since I use savestates (and in this case, cheats), shorter maps with an emphasis on burst difficulty don't really catch my attention, as they don't last me very long.

1 hour ago, BoxY said:

the way that enemies and closets were placed kind of gave the player a lot of opportunity to just peek around corners or through doors to kill everything

A side effect of the ammount of doors, and how they limit movement. Honestly unexpected, and kind of ironic, since "camping potential" was one of the main things I used to complain about. I don't think this can be changed, as this is a problem rooted in the core design of the level, it's not superficial.

All in all, I'd say I'm happy with the level in it's current state, at least for now.

@BoxY, thanks for the demo and the comments.  You played well as always.  Nice of you to make demos for everyone, too.

I figured the color scheme wouldn't be for everyone.  I did try some other options out but nothing worked quite like I wanted it to.  The pink range of the Doom palette is so narrow it always end up pretty bright.  And you're probably right about my adventure description.  It's more that I tend to think of stuff like BTSX or skillsaw's work as adventure wads even though they're not often described that way.  The progression was really me trying to emulate that kinda layout so I'm happy you liked it.

I played both versions of your map and enjoyed it a lot, although I couldn't complete it until the second version where I had access to HMP.  I'm not that great at slaughter outside of the easier stuff in popular megawads.  You definitely had some creative and well-designed fights, though.  My favorite part was probably the pain sector area that ends with all those revenants, that was a lot of fun.

Say hello to the first of my own maps.

Map Name: The Devil's Gut
Author: MFG38
Build Time: 5-ish hours, give or take
Play Time: anywhere between a minute and three
Music: "Waltz of the Demons" from Doom, composed by Bobby Prince
Textures: N/A
Difficulty Settings: yes
Ports Tested: PrBoom+ 2.5.1.5, GZDoom 4.5.0

Description: A fleshy Hell map because there aren't enough fleshy Hell maps. In addition to Imps,
Pinkies and Revenants, you have to fight against acidic blood pools - don't stand in them for too
long, lest you turn into mince meat.

I did my best to nail the ammo balance without making it too tight, but chances are it needs further tweaking - feedback is greatly appreciated.

mfg_3x3ttwo_1.zip

mfg_3x3ttwo_1-v2.zip

Edited by MFG38

5 hours ago, MFG38 said:

Say hello to the first of my own maps.

(...)

I did my best to nail the ammo balance without making it too tight, but chances are it needs further tweaking - feedback is greatly appreciated.

mfg_3x3ttwo_1.zip

Looks and plays very good, I like it! I can beat it on UV so I think it means it's not too difficult ;)

I found one issue which I think is not intended - the torsos hanging from the ceiling are blocking, so if you play in prBoom+ you hit invisible obstacles in random places.

Just now, jacnowak said:

I found one issue which I think is not intended - the torsos hanging from the ceiling are blocking, so if you play in prBoom+ you hit invisible obstacles in random places.

Oh right, didn't think about that. My bad for only testing the map in GZDoom after I slapped 'em down...

Thanks for the report, will fix that ASAP.

20 hours ago, BoxY said:

(...)

Metal-Pipe-Skin - (...) Also I'm pretty sure the hell knight isn't supposed to be able to walk into that teleporter and camp the player on the other side.

Thanks for your feedback and for the demo - I really like watching people play my maps :)

Yes, this hell knight shouldn't do this - I will stick a "block monsters" line before the teleporter, thanks for finding that.

22 hours ago, BoxY said:

Metal 2 Metal - pretty awesome map with distinct and memorable geometry and some nice fights. I usually don't like maps that restrict health but I think it works fine here because all the chosen monsters have easily dodged attacks if you're playing properly. I managed to face rocket to 3 hp but scraped by.

Yay! Very glad you enjoyed. I also intend to go through this whole map set when it's done and record / give impressions. I'd love to see anyone do a demo of mine hint hint wink nudge, just to get a benchmark for how people play and what times they make.  edit: lol that IS a demo link, thanks so much, you made my day :)

I'm also working on second map for this, thank you very much MFG38 with helping me with the sky transfer!

Map Name: Iron and Stone
Author: Captain Toenail
Build Time: 10 hours
Play Time: 10 minutes
Music: Painkiller - Cathedral Fight
Textures: Otex
Ports Tested: PrBoom+
Description: You emerge from the gateway to this forsaken realm of iron and stone.
A legion of twisted cannibals and slavering spawn await you, the sole inhabitants of this damned place.

CT_Iron_and_Stone.zip

Map Name: Garden Of Despair
Author: myolden
Build Time: ~10 hours
Play Time: 5 minutes
Music: Destiny's Stage from Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia
Textures: n/a
Ports Tested: PrBoom+
Description: A short but challenging (for me at least) map set in the ruins on an ancient structure. 

Any feedback or suggestions would be appreciated!

EDIT: I re-read the OP and realized I forgot about one of the rules being a limit of 3 monster types! Will edit my map and post a v2 that doesn't break that rule ASAP. Fixed.

garden of despair v2.zip

Screenshots:

Spoiler

doom07.jpg.cf2200f12451cdb6ebf7a213ca91f2a7.jpg

doom08.jpg.c1eb1eccdaf209526df1067cbf535289.jpg

doom12.jpg.ef3730de697f50649400866380481b50.jpg

doom16.jpg.c1379e6a627f5875e39e26016465371a.jpg

Edited by myolden

@Captain Toenail Nice map overall. Good non-linear layout with nice flow, fun gameplay with a decent bit of challenge, excellent choice of textures and great lighting. I was slightly worried about the play time estimate seeing as it's right at the upper limit of acceptability, but as it turns out, I was able to beat the map in about 7 minutes. I don't know what kinds of play times you clocked during your own test runs, but intentionally overshooting the play time estimate ever so slightly (if it is what you did) isn't a bad thing.

@myolden Another enjoyable map. The lighting work gets a special mention - it was on-point - and I liked the visuals in general, as well as the SIGIL-style switch mechanic. Gameplay wasn't bad either, though there is potential for things going south quickly if the player goes for the red key area first and doesn't realize to run straight to the Rocket Launcher as soon as the hordes start spawning in. I also ran into a softlock in the yellow key area, as the floor doesn't rise up high enough for the player to step onto the central platform and grab the yellow key from it. Unless the idea is to use an AV jump in order to do so, in which case, I'd kindly request for you to change it so that the yellow key can be acquired without an AV jump.

EDIT: Turns out the yellow key area floor problem is a GZDoom-specific issue, as it seemingly works as intended in PrBoom+... That'll need some digging into.

3 hours ago, MFG38 said:

I also ran into a softlock in the yellow key area, as the floor doesn't rise up high enough for the player to step onto the central platform and grab the yellow key from it. Unless the idea is to use an AV jump in order to do so, in which case, I'd kindly request for you to change it so that the yellow key can be acquired without an AV jump.

EDIT: Turns out the yellow key area floor problem is a GZDoom-specific issue, as it seemingly works as intended in PrBoom+... That'll need some digging into.

Hmmm... that is strange. I did a little digging and it seems that the PrBoom+ and GZDoom calculate the velocity of objects moving on scrolling floors differently. So the voodoo doll that controls the second 32-pixel floor raise hits the linedef before the first action can complete, so the input is "eaten". If you notice, the eye switch lights are also slightly off. In PrBoom+, the light goes out exactly when the switch closes. In GZDoom, the light turns out just before the switch closes.

Apparently there is a way to build conveyor belts to avoid this issue, so I will rebuild them and post a new version of the map.

On 4/8/2021 at 3:16 PM, SCF said:

Download

Map Name: Sludge Terminal
Author: SCF
Build Time: Not sure, but about a week
Play Time: Roughly 5 minutes
Music: "Forbidden Area" from Castlevania Aria of Sorrow (Taken from Stardate 20x6)
Textures: Only vanilla
Ports Tested: GZDoom 4.5.0, PRBoom+ 2.5.1.4
Description: A map with my least favorite enemies! I wanted to use these limitations to try something different. Hope it's not too frustrating.

Reveal hidden contents

JJ83t9p.png

Damn, that map was beautiful and the atmosphere was great but damn, that's a wonderful use of only three wall textures 

Fixed the conveyor issue that caused unexpected behavior in GZDoom - the map now functions as intended in both GZDoom and PrBoom+.

@MFG38 Do you want me to re-balance the red key fight so the rocket launcher is closer to the red key? My idea for that area is that the player would have to scramble to get the rocket launcher before the revenants could, but I can change it if you think it's detrimental to the map.

garden of despair v3.zip

34 minutes ago, myolden said:

Do you want me to re-balance the red key fight so the rocket launcher is closer to the red key? My idea for that area is that the player would have to scramble to get the rocket launcher before the revenants could, but I can change it if you think it's detrimental to the map.

Yeah, that would be appreciated.

I'm both lazy and slow, but I think I managed to get something done. Keep in mind, I'm far from a professional, but I did my best.

Coastal, by @AtticTelephone:

Spoiler

The first one I recorded. Good all around, but a bit too much platforming for me.

Metal2Metal, by @Helm:

Spoiler

One of the harder ones, or at least one which gave me a lot of trouble. I loved the "metal in void" aesthetics.

MyHouseWad, by @muumi:

Spoiler

I'm honestly amazed, at how much detail one person can make. Even more impressive is the fact that you only used three textures and three flats. Even more impresive, this is one of the first entries. This map is honeslty a visual treat.

A Librarian's Nightmare, by @7Soul:

Spoiler

My sister used to be a librarian, so I can sort of empathise. Really fun level. Looks great, too.

FRICKIN HECK, by @reverie:

Spoiler

A lot of fun. Short but hard, like my wang. Definitely got spooked there at the end.

Speaking of the end, as a UVMax player, maybe you could have the revenant spawn when you open the yellow key, instead of when you almost reach the ending, so that players like me don't waste their time looking for a stray pinky.

Metal-pipe-skin, by @jacnowak:

Spoiler

A very high quality map. Looks good, plays good. What I find amazing, is that you managed to do all this with only randomly chosen assets.

The Faces of Evil, by @BoxY:

Spoiler

Sadly, this was my original UV play, which if you remember, I didn't enjoy very much. 

As said, later on I played on HMP, which I didn't record, but I enjoyed a lot.

Keep Out!, by @MrTAD:

Spoiler

Mazelike. Very mazelike. Which is not inherently a bad thing, at least in my opinion. I especially apreciated the dark maze part of the level, even if at the time it was a bit frustrating. 

I have no complaints regarding gameplay. I'd probably play it again.

Aesthetically, you used a bit too many object decorations, and you probably could've picked some better textures.

Vile Book Club, by @Worriedidiot:

Spoiler

One of the shortest, and one of the easiest, which is surprising, considering it features an Archvile. It was simple, but simple is good.

Moss Cushion, by @Alper002:

Spoiler

I missread, and kept pronouncing your level as "Mosh Cushion". Really maze like, and the dark stairwell was very weird. Please don't take this as critique, I love weird. It's memorable.

Toxic Rumble, by @PinkFlamingo:

Spoiler

One of my favourite ones. Partly becomes of the name, which in my head I kept pronouncing like ROYAAAAL RUMBLEEEEE!

I liked your name, too. You can hear how I pronounce it like Joey pronounces "Sergio Valente"

Really well made. Looks good, plays good.

Nebula Swamp, by @Salmon:

Spoiler

A very good entry. Very nice use of Otex, fun to play and to replay. 

The rocket launcher was optional, which I don't know wether it was intended or not. The first time, I reached the end only with the shotguns. Also, I'm not sure of the purpose of the automatic map pickup.

The Devil's Gut, by @MFG38:

Spoiler

Short, but tightly designed. Not too much ammunition, not too litle. Not too hard, not too easy, either.

One of, if not, the shortest, which is interesting, considering you are the lead on the CP. You were probably expecting entries similar to this length.

I find mapper who are also the project leads often have a hard time mapping freely on their own project. Partly, because they have less time overall, since they have to manage the community and the entries.

Also, there is extra pressure. After all, whereas most participant have the certainty that at least one person is going to play their level, project leads know their entries will be played by almost everyone.

I would very much like to hear your opinion on the subject, and your experience making The Devil's Gut.

There are still some maps I haven't played, but it's gonna take me a while to record those.

@PeceMan, thanks for the video and the comments.  I'm glad you enjoyed the map and am happy that you find it replayable since that's always a goal of mine.  I hope I wasn't too stingy with health placement.

The RL area being optional was intentional.  The YK was down there at one point I had concerns about the map dragging on too long so I just made that area optional.  Since I did that I had to make the map completable with just the shotguns so the fights are balanced around that.  And putting a computer map in a secret at the end of the map is just a habit for me at this point.  You're right that there's not much benefit to it other than helping with max runs.

I played your map (v1) and quite enjoyed it.  I'm a big fan of the vanilla brick textures, especially when they're used for any sort of temple theme.  I really liked the trap based sense of exploration (which fits the setting) and all the secrets, even though I wasn't able to find quite all of them.  I didn't have 100% kills at the end so I assume I missed some enemies in a secret.  Really fun map, though.