Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MFG38

[Now on /idgames!] 3x3: Take Two - 3 flats, 3 textures, 3 monster types speedmaps again!

this is my second submission (you did not awnser me so hey pain elementals)

Map Name: [The broken fortress of insanity]

Author: [battlescroll (i just want to be mentioned in the final post)]

Build Time: [1 hours]

Play Time: [4 mins]

Music: [a midi version of ode to dreed from payday 2 link: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=581836161]

Textures: [i used , BIGBRICK1, BIGDOOR2, DOORBLU, EXITSIGN, METAL, CIEL5_2, F_SKY1, FLAT10, LAVA4 ]

Difficulty Settings: [yes]

Ports Tested: [all the zdoom family of ports]

Description: [you are a soldiar tasked with clearing out a old demon fortress]

my second submission.zip

Edited by battlescroll

6 hours ago, battlescroll said:

hey does a pain elemental count as 1 or 2 enemies

4 hours ago, battlescroll said:

you did not awnser me

Well hey, a man has to sleep sometime. Even so, you could have checked the thread for whether that same question had been asked prior - which it had, and I'd also provided an answer. Next time, consider people's time zones (and schedules) before double-posting out of sheer impatience.

Anyway, on the topic of your second map submission, it's not much of an improvement over the first one. In fact, it's almost worse in some ways. It's pretty clear to me that you don't have much experience as of yet, judging by the frankly mediocre quality of your submissions. With almost no lighting whatsoever, their visuals are incredibly bland, and I can't exactly sing praise about the gameplay either. Neither of them is on par with almost literally every other entry so far. With that in mind, as much as it pains me to say this, I'm hereby rejecting both of your entries.

Now my intention is by no means to discourage you. I hope you'll think of this as a lesson to learn from and take it upon yourself to improve as a mapper from here on out.

Edited by MFG38

6 hours ago, MFG38 said:

Well hey, a man has to sleep sometime. Even so, you could have checked the thread for whether that same question had been asked prior - which it had, and I'd also provided an answer. Next time, consider people's time zones (and schedules) before double-posting out of sheer impatience.

Anyway, on the topic of your second map submission, it's not much of an improvement over the first one. In fact, it's almost worse in some ways. It's pretty clear to me that you don't have much experience as of yet, judging by the frankly mediocre quality of your submissions. With almost no lighting whatsoever, their visuals are incredibly bland, and I can't exactly sing praise about the gameplay either. Neither of them is on par with almost literally every other entry so far. With that in mind, as much as it pains me to say this, I'm hereby rejecting both of your entries.

Now my intention is by no means to discourage you. I hope you'll think of this as a lesson to learn from and take it upon yourself to improve as a mapper from here on out.

ok

Nebula Swamp v2

Here's version 2 of my map.  It'll be final unless problems are found or changes are requested.  Since MFG38 was happy with the balance I kept that almost entirely the same.  Enemy placement is unchanged from v1 but there are now 35 more points of health in the map, just to account for different pathing options after getting comments and playtesting.

Changes:
- Stimpak in sector 138 changed to medikit
- Added stimpaks to sectors 143 and 254
- Added fall texture behind SSG to highlight it
- Added rad suit to final secret to help with end of map exploration
- Fixed a few missing textures and alignment issues
- A few minor visual changes no one but me will notice
- Some automap cleanup

Thanks to everyone who left feedback about the map.

Here is the second version of my my map. I wanted to do some small changes, but I got carried away and made the level 3 times bigger. I hope I didn't ruin it. If I did ruin it then just ignore this version ever existed.

3x3_Book_Club_V2.zip

@Worriedidiot You definitely didn't ruin map - if anything, the extra length made it that much better. The final arena was a highlight moment, though there's really no need for the Plasma Gun and Megasphere in there. I'd replace the Plasma Gun and energy cell packs with additional ammo for the other weapons - bullets, shells, rockets - and the Megasphere can safely be replaced with either green or blue armor.

Map Name: Formula 666

Author: muumi

Build Time: somewhere around 20 hours

Play Time: clocked around 8 and half minutes

Music: magical sound shower from outrun (source https://www.khinsider.com/)

Textures: vanilla only, i'll add custom sky later

Difficulty Settings: not yet

Ports Tested: DSDA doom, prboom+

Description: I spent way too long making this abomination and especially with fixing bleeding textures. It barely holds together as it is. :)
I also wanted to go for some unorthodoxic enemy choices so combat here is pretty gimmicky and probably not for everyone's liking. 
If this project is going to have secret levels, this might fit best to secret level slot.

formula_666.zip

Spoiler

doom01.png.7721877d145cf2318c49cd379e6cff51.png

@muumi Thanks for the submission! Unfortunately I'm unable to playtest it today, but I'll give it a spin and write up some feedback tomorrow.

@muumi Okay, so I played through the map - and I've gotta admit, it has got to be one of the coolest Doom maps I've ever played. While the gameplay does lean towards being gimmicky, it manages to stay interesting with the varying combat scenarios and the potential for infighting, which is obviously what the map also enforces early on. I also have to admire how you used different brightness levels throughout the map to create the race track and the little Formula cars out of a single texture and flat - that's not something I see very often, and I wish I did. I do agree with you that the map is probably best put into one of the secret slots, but at the same time, I'm sort of inclined to make it a late-game "normal" map.

Here's my attempt:

Spoiler

Map Name: Forkress of Doom
Author: Worst
Build Time: Around 20 to 30 24 to 36 hours? Lost track at some point...
Play Time: ~10 minutes?
Music: "Realistic Approach" by @Velvetic (Album link) (MIDI Source)
Textures: 1 custom flat and 3 custom wall textures, which are modified vanilla resources (by me). Also an oblige sky that I recolored.
Difficulty Settings: No, but I might add later. Yes.
Ports Tested: PrBoom+ 2.5.1.5, GZDoom 4.2.4a

Description: A loosely castle themed map with a couple of gimmicks involving weapon pickups and level progression. In certain rooms, you'll have to decide on your preferred weapon (or not if you aren't pistol starting). You'll also encounter rooms that branch into 3 different paths; You'll need to pick one.

Due to the weapon gimmicks, ammo balance is a little messy, you'll certainly have excess ammo for the weapons that you're not using. I've tried to account for multiple different configurations of gear.

I realize this level might take over 10 minutes to beat, depending on your pace and playstyle. Since I know the level inside out, I can certainly beat it under 10 minutes, but it's harder for me to judge how long it takes for someone playing it for the first time.

Feedback and comments on the map are definitely appreciated!

Download: worst_3x3-2_r3.zip (updated version)

worst_3x3-2_r2.zip (older version)

worst_3x3-2_r1.zip (oldest version)

Screenshots:

Spoiler

CmCm5Q0.png9YWW1Ja.pnggtsONtY.pngMvVyp0L.png

Edited by Worst : Another update.

@Worst An interesting map for sure, and worth several replays with the forking gimmick. There's lots of potential for some intriguing changes in how the combat plays out depending on which weapons the player decides to go for. The final arena isn't particularly fun to fight through with effectively just the shotguns, though, but that's my own fault more than anything. :P I also have to applaud the little "Cyberdemon" scare right before the exit, as well as the visuals. No notable criticisms or improvement suggestions on my part.

Here's my entry, 3TEK! It's in b2 right now while I clean up issues (and no custom music yet), but for the most part it's finished!

Latest Version: 3TEK.wad

Download: 3TEK_b2.zip

Map Name: 3TEK
Author: Dieting Hippo
Build Time: On and off for three weeks, ~20 hours?
Play Time: 2-8 minutes (depending on difficulty)
Music: None yet
Textures: Vanilla (W:TEKWALL4, TEKGREN5, TEKBRON1; F:FLOOR0_3, RROCK03, FLOOR7_1)
Difficulty Settings: Yes (HNTR/HMP/UV)
Ports Tested: PRBoom+ 2.5.1.7um, GZDoom 4.5.0
Description: A winding techbase with shotguns aplenty and even more skeletons. All
             difficulties supported, but UV may leave you feeling a little strapped 
             for ammo. And space.

Let me know if you have any feedback, it is appreciated!

Screenshots:

Spoiler

doom01.png.7f0c073207a8f9e6b3f7d95de4fcffc5.pngdoom02.png.0ac37816afc6d801a07390587e426aee.pngdoom04.png.ff00880578398c2a4ef30204893f5f01.pngdoom05.png.7f178bc51a73466278e920fb0d9ff26e.png

Edited by Dieting Hippo

On 4/23/2021 at 8:56 PM, muumi said:

formula_666.zip

Reveal hidden contents

doom01.png.7721877d145cf2318c49cd379e6cff51.png

I just love this! You're a great map maker! Here's a video surviving it and one just running through. I got 1:59!

@Dieting Hippo Nice map! Visuals were quite decent, and the gameplay was fun with a good bit of challenge especially in the final combat scenario. The switches were nicely highlighted too. I feel like I missed a rocket launcher somewhere, though, as I went through the latter part of the map without one despite the rockets implying I was supposed to have it by that point. Don't know if that was a development oversight or if I was just blind.

@Helm Thanks for videos! Spiders in cave area should actually be sleeping when you enter, gotta check what is bothering them. I'm thinking if the beginning should force player to shoot as there is quite many teleporting enemies. I could maybe do some "cutscene" where you have to shoot starting pistol :) 

or something like a formula pole position lock-in that you have to shoot the one shootable in front of you and it opens up and zooooom

5 hours ago, MFG38 said:

@Dieting Hippo Nice map! Visuals were quite decent, and the gameplay was fun with a good bit of challenge especially in the final combat scenario. The switches were nicely highlighted too. I feel like I missed a rocket launcher somewhere, though, as I went through the latter part of the map without one despite the rockets implying I was supposed to have it by that point. Don't know if that was a development oversight or if I was just blind.

Glad to hear you got through! There's a hint very early on as to where you can find that rocket launcher.

Spoiler

Look for a dead marine with a few rockets around its body.

On 4/26/2021 at 11:45 AM, MFG38 said:

@Worst An interesting map for sure, and worth several replays with the forking gimmick. There's lots of potential for some intriguing changes in how the combat plays out depending on which weapons the player decides to go for. The final arena isn't particularly fun to fight through with effectively just the shotguns, though, but that's my own fault more than anything. :P I also have to applaud the little "Cyberdemon" scare right before the exit, as well as the visuals. No notable criticisms or improvement suggestions on my part.

Thanks for the feedback! My initial idea for this map was to make the forks never join back together, and instead keep branching more and more like a tree. However I realized pretty quickly that I don't really have enough time to do that. :P But at least even if the forked paths join back together, there's still a fair bit of replayability left.

(And keeping the forks joining back together, allowed me to include things that count for item% in the in-between rooms without making it impossible to get 100% kills/items/secrets in the level.)

I also had thought of doing something to prevent the player from making the mistake of choosing the same weapon twice, but kinda forgot about it. But now I've updated the map to fix that:

• Weapon rooms get adjusted based on earlier choices, to prevent choosing the same weapon twice.

• Tweaked light levels in the big outside area, should look less fullbright now.

• Changed one voodoo doll script to be more consistent.

worst_3x3-2_r3.zip (updated version)

worst_3x3-2_r2.zip (older version)

Edited by Worst : Another update.

@jacnowak, @PeceMan, @BoxY, @SCF, @MFG38, thank you all for the positive feedback and for recording some demos! It was really interesting to see another person play through my map. The berserk at the start was placed there because I occasionally ran out of ammo during my initial testing and I began punching the Mancubi. It is also useful in a continuous play-through.

@MFG38, I finished a second map, it is attached below. It uses a custom switch as one of the three textures (I believe this was OK with the rules?) If not, I can easily make another version as the switch is only used once as an actual switch. It is used as a door in every other instance. To make the switch work in Boom, I added a SWITCHES lump to the wad.

About the map: I found this cool texture pack called "CR8" on Mechadon's website (mekworx.the-powerhouse.net). It was originally made for Quake by Speedy, and Mechadon converted it to Doom. I wanted to make another techbase, but quickly realized that the brick and concrete textures were the most flexible, so I ended up making some kind of industrial zone. I am satisfied with the look of the map but the gameplay is a bit so and so. Let me know what you think. I may make some adjustments before the deadline.

Map Name: Metallurgy
Author: PinkFlamingo
Build Time: 20 hours
Play Time: about 7-8 minutes
Music: "Alfred H. (My Family's Plot)" by Lee Jackson (from Duke Nukem 3D)
Textures: custom textures from Mek-CR8X.wad (made for Quake by Speedy, converted to Doom by Brett 'Mechadon' Harrell); Sky: POSNSKY3 from Mechadon's Box-o-skies. All textures can be found on Mechadon's website mekworx.the-powerhouse.net
Difficulty Settings: yes
Ports Tested: GZDoom g4.3.3. and PRBoom+ 2.5.1.4.
Description: An abandoned industrial zone. What lurks in the darkness?

Screenshots:

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20210426_200456.png.08742065ed25b10fe09b3f3bb8becdd9.pngScreenshot_Doom_20210426_200342.png.d82ea7af40a3b9ab60634fb537cd631b.png

Download:

3x3_Metallurgy.rar

Edited by PinkFlamingo

@PinkFlamingo That was a pretty good map. The visuals were overall nice with that grimy industrial aesthetic, and the detail work was a joy to stop and look at. I do agree that the gameplay leaves a little to be desired, but honestly, I don't think it needs that much work. What I'd mostly want is some additional cover in the big open area with the lava trench to make the Revenant rockets that much less of a hassle to deal with - more or less everything else I'd say is fine as it is.

Updates to my both maps

myhousewad.zip

Francist218 kindly tested it in his twitch stream! 

Fixed punch of issues spotted in his stream and did some minor visual polish.

formula_666.zip

- Added custom sky (WRKSKY08 from Mechadon's Box 'o Skies!)

- Added shootable starting lights to force player to wake up enemies

- Added difficulties (easy will surprise you!)

- fixed more bleeding textures argh

Reminder that the deadline for map submissions is two days away! Thanks to everyone who submitted maps so far - we're currently sitting at 23 maps to be added into the final mapset. Can we make the push to the coveted 32 in just over 65 hours? I'm looking forward to finding out!

On 3/30/2021 at 6:07 AM, MFG38 said:

With the surprising success of the 3x3 community project that I hosted at the tail-end of the Worst Year Ever®, I became enamored with the idea of hosting more CPs. Some ideas began brewing, including one for a spiritual sequel to the aforementioned project. And with that, here we are - allow me to introduce 3x3: Take Two!

The core idea remains the same: a maximum of 3 flats, 3 wall textures and 3 enemy types may be used in one map. This time around, however, the ruleset is slightly more lenient (primarily in regards to textures) and the deadline is more relaxed. Instead of a mere week, you have the whole month of April to make your maps! That said, the speedmapping spirit of the previous project is still retained to a degree - this won't be the project to shove your "Unstable Journey" -scale hour-long adventure map into.

Rules:

• IWAD is Doom 2, map format is Boom. PLEASE TEST YOUR MAP(S) IN PRBOOM+ TO ENSURE THEY WORK IN THE TARGET PORT!
  • Mappers of all skill levels and styles are welcome to participate. Do make an honest effort, though - don't just draw a square and call it a finished map.
  • While there is technically no hard limit as to how long you may spend making one map, I do ask that you keep it relatively short and sweet. In regards to play time, ~5-6 minutes of gameplay is the soft limit for the length of a map. Anything that takes longer than 10 minutes to beat is subject to consideration for rejection.
  • No reserving map slots! This also means that maps that depend on map-specific special tags are a no-no.
  • You may only use 3 flats and 3 wall textures in your map. This includes switches and animated textures/flats, though the different "frames" of animated textures/flats may be treated as a single texture/flat. The following textures and flats are excluded from the limitation: DOORBLU(2), DOORRED(2), DOORYEL(2), EXITSIGN, F_SKY1. However, said textures must signify actions normally associated with them; they may not be used to circumvent the texture limit!
  • You may only use 3 enemy types in your map. This rule does not apply across all difficulties; different enemy types may be used in different difficulties as long as the enemy type count in any difficulty does not exceed the 3-type limit.
  • You may use custom textures in your map; any custom textures you supply are subject to the texture/flat limitation (with the exception of one custom sky texture if you wish to use one). If your map uses a custom sky, please specify the custom sky using the MBF sky transfer, not MAPINFO! If you are using textures from a pre-existing texture pack, please provide only the textures used (preferably in the same .wad file as the map) instead of the entire texture pack. Don't make my job any harder than it needs to be, thank.
  • Maximum size for custom wall textures is 128x128 pixels.
  • Also on the topic of custom assets, you may provide a custom music track for your map. Custom assets other than textures/flats and music are not allowed.
  • The maps are to be primarily single-player. Coop/deathmatch implementation is optional.
  • Maximum of 2 map submissions per person.
  • Deadline for map submissions is April 30th, 2021 @ 11.59pm GMT. Maps will be sorted roughly by difficulty and compiled into the final mapset in that order.

SUBMISSION TEMPLATE

Please use this template when submitting your map:

Map Name: [self-explanatory]
Author: [how you wish to be credited]
Build Time: [rough build time of the map]
Play Time: [estimated play time of the map]
Music: [specify name and source of custom MIDI here]
Textures: [specify source(s) of custom textures here]
Difficulty Settings: [yes/no]
Ports Tested: [list of source ports the map was tested in]
Description: [brief description of the map]

In case any of the rules are unclear, or if you just have further questions, don't hesitate to ask! I'll be happy to answer any and all queries.

LET'S DO THIS. AGAIN.

Is PRboom a wad editer? if so can i get a link to it? I'm fairly new to mapping but this got my interested.  

13 minutes ago, xScavengerWolfx said:

Is PRboom a wad editer? if so can i get a link to it? I'm fairly new to mapping but this got my interested.  

PrBoom+ is a source port, akin to GZDoom but more vanilla-accurate. One of the most commonly used versions of it to my knowledge is v2.5.1.4, which is downloadable here:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/prboom-plus/files/prboom-plus/2.5.1.4/

If you want to make maps, you'll want to use something like Ultimate Doom Builder, or one of the older DB2 forks if your computer isn't capable of running it. Doom Builder X is another option worth considering. Of course, which editor to use is ultimately up to you - you could even use DB2 itself, but it's so horrendously outdated at this point that using it is generally advised against unless everything else fails.

10 minutes ago, MFG38 said:

PrBoom+ is a source port, akin to GZDoom but more vanilla-accurate. One of the most commonly used versions of it to my knowledge is v2.5.1.4, which is downloadable here:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/prboom-plus/files/prboom-plus/2.5.1.4/

If you want to make maps, you'll want to use something like Ultimate Doom Builder, or one of the older DB2 forks if your computer isn't capable of running it. Doom Builder X is another option worth considering. Of course, which editor to use is ultimately up to you - you could even use DB2 itself, but it's so horrendously outdated at this point that using it is generally advised against unless everything else fails.

Ok i'll give them a try plus what do you mean by 3 flats? Like three rooms that are flat or a flat earth? Sorry that last one was a smartass comment.

Edited by xScavengerWolfx : Question

flats are floor and ceiling textures in doomspeak. 'textures' instead is wall textures! Good luck!