Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Roofi

The DWIronman League dies to: World Orifice

Well this should be an "interesting" map to have to play first this month in the Unclebowl..... (methinks I'll need to practice on this a little bit)

Well , I went very far but I died near the end because of arch-viles.

doom00.png

Category 2 because I already played this level until the cacodemons section, the rest is totally FDA.

DEMO

Edited by Roofi

Category 1, dead at 58:22 with 9107/20000 kills.

Spoiler

I definitely should have just tried to snipe those viles from a distance with the rocket launcher instead of getting close with the BFG. My supply of rockets was practically unlimited, the splash damage would kill them eventually, at least until their numbers are reduced to the point that a BFG rush wouldn't be dangerous.

ironorifice-pseudonaut.zip

7 hours ago, Roofi said:

DEMO

"The file you requested has been deleted"

Edited by Pseudonaut

1 hour ago, Pseudonaut said:

Category 1, dead at 58:22 with 9107/20000 kills.

Reveal hidden contents

I definitely should have just tried to snipe those viles from a distance with the rocket launcher instead of getting close with the BFG. My supply of rockets was practically unlimited, the splash damage would kill them eventually, at least until their numbers are reduced to the point that a BFG rush wouldn't be dangerous.

ironorifice-pseudonaut.zip

"The file you requested has been deleted"

Thank you for the report ! Link has been updated.

Great choice for this month, I loved this map and hoped more people would eventually find out about it, plus it fits the ironman format well (except I guess for people who like to get their attempts done quickly).

cat 2, dead in 1:21:56 with 8398 11504/20000

dwim-orifice-bx.zip

Spoiler

I played once before and my goal was to just get back to the rev part where I was definitely dead meat, and that's exactly what happened though I managed to get a few waves deep so I'm fairly satisfied. My worst enemy at the start was light, it was pretty sunny outside and I had my monitor brightness way too low for this map, which is why it looks like I'm desyncing for the first couple minutes until I finally fixed it, cuz I literally couldn't see shit. :)

Edited by BoxY

5 hours ago, BoxY said:

8398/20000

I checked the demo in PrBoom+ and you got 11,504 kills. This is probably DSDA-Doom's smart totals making your score look lower because 

Spoiler

you let the archviles resurrect thousands of monsters.

I'm sure there's a way to turn this off in DSDA-Doom, but I was too lazy to go look.

44 minutes ago, Pseudonaut said:

I checked the demo in PrBoom+ and you got 11,504 kills. This is probably DSDA-Doom's smart totals making your score look lower because 

Reveal hidden contents

you let the archviles resurrect thousands of monsters.

I'm sure there's a way to turn this off in DSDA-Doom, but I was too lazy to go look.

Aah, I wondered if that might be a thing but wasn't sure whether the ironman uses the new or old style max totals so I just left it with the setting I use for everyday stuff. Thanks for the check and correction :)

Wasn't sure if this was an April Fools joke, but I like it.

DEAD Map01

Kills: 9914 (10405 without smart totals)

Time: 1:14:20~

noisy_orifice_9914kills_1h14m20s.zip

"I should top off with a megasphere first.  I'll be extra thoughtful though, and go extra far back for one of the megaspheres I've been hoarding closer towards spawn."

-starts diagonal running, and only stares at the wall.

-hears sizzling noises.

Here is my Category 1 submission.

dwi_pegleg_orifice_cat1.zip

Kills: 5881 / 20000

Time: 20:11

Recorded on PrBoom+ v. 2.5.1.4

The progression went differently than I was expecting it to, but I ended up dying somewhere around where I thought I would die once I started playing through the map and saw what it was. Although, in the original context I expected my death to come at the hand of a different enemy than it did. Going into the map, I wasn't expecting to get through a quarter of the kills, so I'm happy to see that I did. Ultimately, I do think I could have progressed further, had I been more cautious. I wasn't cocky, by any means, but I did stick my neck out a bit too far at the end and put myself too much in harm's way.

I can see this map chews up your time, because it doesn't seem like the type of setup that would be conducive to speed through it, especially when you start getting up into the mid-tier ranks. The map isn't that pretty to look at, at least not in the beginning. Maybe it gets better as you progress, but, at the end of the day, aesthetics isn't really the point of this map. Ultimately, this map does what it came to do: deliver lots of monsters that are all trying to kill the player simultaneously.

Sigh...

Kills: 7130/20000 (6721 with smart totals)

Time: 39:20

Category 1

DWI_orifice_dispor.zip

Spoiler

So there I was, blasting my way through the imps and feeling pretty good about the run so far, when I hear gib noises. I'm using the super shotgun, so this doesn't make sense, so I go to the wall and hear that the Archviles must be resurrecting stuff behind the wall. I then trigger the next wave of imps, but then think to myself "hey, shouldn't you go back to take care of those Archviles?". I continue rocketing the imps with that thought in my mind, still bothering me. While caught up in my wondering, I end up firing a rocket too close to the pillar, resulting in the most disappointing facerocket of my Doom career. Was nice and pumped about my progress feeling like I was going to do reasonably well for myself, but it all got taken away by that clumsy moment. Welp, better luck next month. /facepalm

Edited by DisgruntledPorcupine

Pain.

Kills: 5876/20000

Time: 11:59

Category 1

em_ironman_orifice_cat1.zip

Spoiler

I didn't think this map was very fun. You spend the first part gunning down a bunch of zombiemen with the SSG and that gets boring real quick. The shotgunners didn't make things anymore thrilling. You then need to circlestrafe around the arachnotrons and shoot rockets at them. That's where I fucked up and died, and to be honest, I don't have the patience or motivation to continue playing this map to see if it gets any better.

7 hours ago, DisgruntledPorcupine said:

(unable to get count without smart totals, turning off max totals in DSDA Doom continues to show the same count?)

Switch to advanced HUD (F5, or press + repeatedly), extended HUD currently supports max totals only.

Nobody needs to watch this whole thing, it's just proof of the run. Unless you wanna listen to Esoteric while slowly swirling around the world's butthole. No judgment. 

Kills: 10.563
Time: 1 hr 33 m
Category 1

This was quite meditative, actually. I enjoyed it, though it's too huge a time investment to play like this often. It is quite instructive, actually, to where there's skill deficiencies. At least it was for me. It was all smooth sailing (besides almost dying in the first 4 seconds) until the revenants and then I started eating much more damage. Obviously I still have trouble with revenant masses v BFG. And when the archies were unleashed, curtains for me. 

Category 1: 10325/20000 kills

I forgot about the first archvile wave behind you because the circles are very long to complete. I was thinking that another archvile wave would happen after each circle except I forgot and was blown to hell by viles.

The first circle was fairly tedious to me however, the second circle and the archvile section I survived were quite enjoyable.

Demo: https://www.mediafire.com/file/164jty4vavjvbpo/World_Orifice.zip/file

Note: I've never recorded and uploaded a demo before so if there is a better way for me to link larger files then I'd like to know.

Standard, Category 1
Kills: 9291/22552
Time: ~55:10
Recorded: Twitch live via OBS, played on GZDoom 4.4.2. with MBF (strict)

Video: (playthrough starts at 0:29) 

spoilers:

Spoiler

I can appreciate this kind of map. The concept, the roughness, the fun of the chase. The boldness of the architecture and the sheer overwhelming quality it has. But I didn't have a good time playing this map. I found the first ring boring, a slog. The second ring as well until I got to the second enemy, and then things started to finally liven up for me at ring three.

I actually didn't fully realize what the 'gimmick' of the map was until I encountered the stuff that killed me. I thought that the walls separating ring 1 from ring 2 were going to collapse, the Archviles and what I assume to be Cyberdemons are behind them would get released and that it would be a clusterf^ck. As soon as I saw my first Archvile it all became clear to me. A short moment of realization before death. The whole second ring I was thinking: 'Is this it? Is this really all there is to this map?!' And then it sorta was... I checked the counter 

I think I won't play through this again. I wish I had saved just before I died and I don't feel like doing another 50 minutes of this beginning. Had I known what the gimmick was it probably wouldn't have affected my playthrough that much. I wish I could see what happens in the outer ring. Opening the map in UDB to have a look what the triggers are etc.. I can imagine planning when I go back all the way to the first megaspheres, knowing what the triggers are. Typing this I still don't know which Archviles are released when. The resurrecting happened at quite a slow pace I thought... But yeah, not going to have another go I think :).

Category 1 demo . Dead with 10406 enemies dead (according to smart totals).

Here is my Category 3 submission.

dwi_pegleg_orifice_cat3.zip

Kills: 5982 / 20000

Time: 27:02

Recorded on PrBoom+ v. 2.5.1.4

There's not much more to say that I didn't say last time. I went farther than in my Category 1 submission. Could I have gone farther? Probably so. Do I want to invest the time to do it? Probably not. I can definitely see a pattern developing in the play of the map (at least my play): chew through an area, take cover when necessary, pop back out, fire some more, take cover, repeat until near death, run back and get a megasphere, come back, lure the enemies into different areas, fire some more, take cover, restock ammo, fire some more, take cover, etc. Given that, it's easy to see why this map is an endurance test--this process chews up time, and I don't know  if I would want to invest a lot more time in the map given the general approach that I would end up.

World Orifice was an interesting choice for an Ironman; it's different than your standard Ironman selection in that, especially early, players just have to deal with the repetitive nature of the map. At least, that's how it seems to me. This isn't something I would typically try, so, for that, I'm happy that Roofi picked it. It's good to have different types of maps in DWIL for variety.

2 hours ago, David Asaad said:

Category 0 

bruh.zip

I see you decided to get the UV Suicide record for the map.

Category: Never played it before (one day I'll remember the category numbers).

I actually loaded this map a few years ago, just to see how a 20000 monster map like this looked, but I had a worse computer back then and I also opened it with GZDoom, so it was totally unplayable, running at a speed of single digits FPS.

Now that I played it for a (long) while, I think it... won't be on my list of favourite wads... Way too repetitive and tedious. :P

Anyway, the result of my run:

m97frvG.png

I'm not sure if this is the actual total of kills because at some point I heard arachnotron noises and they all should have died at that point, so I'm almost sure the archies had been released and started to resurrect monsters, I didn't go back to check.

PlanetHole.zip

Type 1, blind attempt.  I have played through Nostril Caverns before so it does give me some idea of what to expect.  So maybe it's category 1.5 instead?  1.2?  Switching back to PrBoom+ after using GZDoom almost exclusively for the last month throws me off at the start as my control setups aren't the same and I get brought down to 25% health in the first minute.  Would have been awful to die right there but at least it would be over quick and provide entertainment for the spectators.

Got caught flat-footed by the first curveball and stuck with an empty rocket launcher and a pack of monsters between me and the ammo.  It ends poorly.  Kill counter said 5883 or something when I glanced over before quitting the demo but that doesn't account for archvile resurrections.

dwiron_orifice_cnr.zip

Edited by Crusader No Regret

https://youtu.be/RmZC8HnAogg

Category 3 (didn't see all the hard stuff, but I did 3 practice runs of the first few "loops") run.

11513/20000 monsters, died to geometrical incompetence and Revenants on the 4th "loop". I did not enjoy this pick at all, honestly. An unique style of challenge I'd agree, but I found it equal parts tedious and frustrating. Which is precisely the point of the wad, of course.

Over to you @an_mutt; hope you don't do better in this tedium-by-design experience for the Unclebowl's sake!