Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fort Escapades

Give me your skin!

Hello and welcome!  Currently doing some mapping and had an idea for a project that I'd like to welcome fellow mappers to participate in.  The idea came to me while working on a very large map when I remembered how much I absolutely hate the skinning process of map making.  I love creating the architecture and the general mechanics of maps (traps, teleports, monster placement, etc.), but texturing is just a pain in the ass for me.  Certainly, there must be people out there that feel the opposite; where they love texturing but hate doing the actual map making.  Well, what if we all put our heads together to create a masterpiece? 

In short, I would love to create a small mapset (eight to ten maps) that capture the spirit of teamwork.  With teams of two, one member creates the map and the other member does the texturing.  Of course, teams can bounce ideas off of each other.  For example, the texture member can make architectural suggestions to the architect and the architect can make texture suggestions to the "painter."

If you're interested, post screenshots of a "blank canvas map" here and see if anybody wants to do texture work.

TL;DR  If you're a lazy mapper that only wants to do half of the work but receive full credit, you might like this.  Either do textures or the architecture.

Edited by Fort Escapades : Added a "TL;DR"

I like the idea. I do enjoy texturing, as it's what beings the map to life for me, despite it being as much a part of the job as designing the map. For that reason I'd say that credit on a map should be 50/50 in that regard as you're basically entrusting someone else to paint the house you just built. Collaborative working and bouncing ideas is the lifeblood of making a great mapset, I assume. 

I'd be happy to participate in something like this if you're proposing a community project of some kind!

That is my proposition, sir!  No real shared theme or anything like that.  But hell, maybe after like ten maps or so, just release them together as a collection.

It's a shame this thread hasnt gained more traction so far as I think the idea is really cool for a community project and "Give Me Your Skin" is a great name for it. 

15 hours ago, VisionThing said:

"Give Me Your Skin" is a great name for it. 

Haha well, I am a big fan of classic horror, so I thought it sounded cool.  I had hoped it would be more attention grabbing.

Well, we will see what happens.  For now, we can just work on some stuff together.

On 3/31/2021 at 2:23 PM, Fort Escapades said:

Hello and welcome!  Currently doing some mapping and had an idea for a project that I'd like to welcome fellow mappers to participate in.  The idea came to me while working on a very large map when I remembered how much I absolutely hate the skinning process of map making.  I love creating the architecture and the general mechanics of maps (traps, teleports, monster placement, etc.), but texturing is just a pain in the ass for me.  Certainly, there must be people out there that feel the opposite; where they love texturing but hate doing the actual map making.  Well, what if we all put our heads together to create a masterpiece? 

In short, I would love to create a small mapset (eight to ten maps) that capture the spirit of teamwork.  With teams of two, one member creates the map and the other member does the texturing.  Of course, teams can bounce ideas off of each other.  For example, the texture member can make architectural suggestions to the architect and the architect can make texture suggestions to the "painter."

If you're interested, post screenshots of a "blank canvas map" here and see if anybody wants to do texture work.

TL;DR  If you're a lazy mapper that only wants to do half of the work but receive full credit, you might like this.  Either do textures or the architecture.

this sounds fun i'd be down

Sadly, he hasn't been online from May 17, so I guess somebody else most carry that idea, maybe if I am willing to do it I might, but I'm not completely sure

On 6/1/2021 at 6:54 PM, 1Destro3456 said:

Sadly, he hasn't been online from May 17, so I guess somebody else most carry that idea, maybe if I am willing to do it I might, but I'm not completely sure

If you decide to do it, you might want to change the thread title.

I'm assuming this thread didn't get any attention because "give me your skin" sounds like a request for Doomguy skins.

Yeah, I'm still game. If somebody wants to build a level I'll texture it, though we may want to wait for OP to lay out some structure/who's gonna work with who etc.

The concept sounds similar to how 32in24 worked, with different teams working on layout and detailing. So I definitely think this can work with good management.

9 hours ago, Devalaous said:

I assumed this thread was collecting people's skin pictures for skintek textures etc

Yeah, that’s a problem with the title, probably some people might’ve dismissed this because of it

To @Fort Escapades if you still want to do this, I suggest you do another thread, with another title that is a bit more descriptive of the project or well, add after the name a real short description of it for example (if you're keeping the same name) "Give Me Your Skin! - A community project about teamwork" another thing, the OP on this isn't very descriptive, like, what's the target sourceport? What IWAD? Are custom objects and textures allowed?, so I suggest you see this post

Also, that about 1 mapper getting the credit of a 2 mapper job isn't the best idea. I also suggest you start with the first map/first few maps, in this case, it's a bit difficult since the first map must be made by at least 2 persons, I'd be happy to contribute, but right now I can't, because I'm already handling 2 maps at the same time, and one of them is already for another community project. 

19 hours ago, 1Destro3456 said:

Yeah, that’s a problem with the title, probably some people might’ve dismissed this because of it

I know I did. Just entered now and saw it was actually something much more interesting.

I'd be down with it, I like texturing stuff so I might be able to do an area or level.

nvm I just saw when this was uploaded. Nice one doomworld, verry cool to show me this late.

Also, to @Fort Escapades, I see that you're not very active here, if you wish, I can certainly head this community project. Of course, I'll credit the idea to you and link this thread, but I really want to see this idea come out, and see what people in the community can do. If not, maybe, if you wish, co-head it, of course, I can't do it just now, but I might be able to do it.