Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Immorpher

Doom 64: Merciless Edition II (Nintendo 64 / Emulator)

Awesome. Doom 64 plays well on my 3DS but this will make it much easier to control.

Also I'm the one who gave the repository a star an GitHub ;)

This is awesome.
One question though: is there a way to make it playable on EX? I mean applying this to the rom and then using the WAD generator?
If not, what would you reccomend to play this on pc?

1 hour ago, Adamast0r said:

This is awesome.
One question though: is there a way to make it playable on EX? I mean applying this to the rom and then using the WAD generator?
If not, what would you reccomend to play this on pc?

EX is great at ripping and using assets, however it doesn't incorporate source code so it would end up like normal Doom 64 on the other end.

I have done quick tests of it with Project 64 2.1 and it works fine. There's newer versions of it, although they added things to nag you a bit when loading the software.

Mupen64 works too! It doesn't come with a GUI, but if you get a GUI like RetroArch, I think it comes with Mupen64 and might be a easier experience than Project 64.

I think older emulators like 1964 may work as well from others playtesting.

That's amazing and it's nice to see all those acessibility settings to help people out to enjoy the game. Congratulations!

Edited by Noiser

How fantastic!

Do you think there is a chance of seeing the updated releases levels added to the ROM?

That's a project that I've thought would be interesting to see.

9 hours ago, jasonpener said:

How fantastic!

Do you think there is a chance of seeing the updated releases levels added to the ROM?

That's a project that I've thought would be interesting to see.

I do hope to add custom levels to this. Right now a buddy is helping me figure out how to extract and insert custom levels into the ROM. It's mainly down to applying known compression/decompression algorithms and perhaps some format conversion. If anyone is familiar with C programming with some spare time, we would be happy to have the help!

This is some fantastic work.  Between this and all the other different ways to play these days it really is a great time to be a Doom64 fan.

Thanks so much for making this and sharing. \m/

45 minutes ago, Immorpher said:

I do hope to add custom levels to this. Right now a buddy is helping me figure out how to extract and insert custom levels into the ROM. It's mainly down to applying known compression/decompression algorithms and perhaps some format conversion. If anyone is familiar with C programming with some spare time, we would be happy to have the help!

That be cool to play custom levels on real hardware with your everdrive. 

Could it be possible to utilize the ram expansion pack for higher resolution on original hardware? 

18 hours ago, Shanes said:

Could it be possible to utilize the ram expansion pack for higher resolution on original hardware? 

Yes,@jnmartin84 was able to take my mod and use it to enable higher resolution on Doom 64. It worked well for the most part! The frame rate dropped a little as expected. Unfortunately it would cause a crash if too many large sprites on screen happened at once. Like using the chainsaw against an enemy very close up for a period of time. It seems to overload a graphics buffer of sorts. I hope to revisit that and perhaps set up some sort of blood / bullet puff limiter to make it more stable one day.

Holy Moly, you even included a PAL Patch in the Zip File :)
I've patched my own ripped ROM now hrhr

Lets see if it works.

Wanted to test it earlier... But had way to much work :(
Lets have some Halloween Doom 64 Fun now hrhr

6 hours ago, Azuris said:

Holy Moly, you even included a PAL Patch in the Zip File :)
I've patched my own ripped ROM now hrhr

Lets see if it works.

Wanted to test it earlier... But had way to much work :(
Lets have some Halloween Doom 64 Fun now hrhr

I noticed in the code that there was a region detect, so it should work in PAL! I have had a few buddies with PAL N64's test it and they said it worked. I haven't tested it myself though!

1 hour ago, Immorpher said:

I noticed in the code that there was a region detect, so it should work in PAL! I have had a few buddies with PAL N64's test it and they said it worked. I haven't tested it myself though!

Yep, worked on original PAL Hardware!

At least the first two Levels :D

Played around with the Settings, a real must have for Owners of Everdrives (or else).

Have to look up the Password from where i stopped playing on the Switch a few Weeks ago and test it on later Levels  :)

Here is a preview of the next update which lets you look and aim vertically on the N64. There's some graphics bugs due to sector rendering (read description), but perhaps I can figure it out by looking at Doom 64 EX code.

Awesome. Could you add an option to allow the joystick to always strafe by any chance?

9 hours ago, Wavy said:

Awesome. Could you add an option to allow the joystick to always strafe by any chance?

That can be done! Then the digital left and right shall be turn. Basically swapping the inputs.

Finally decent N64 emulation is here! Ares is a modern multiplatform open-source emulator with great N64 support. It requires a beefy computer, but it supports all of the Merciless Edition features including its 4 different dithering modes. Right now I need to debug how Merciless Edition handles the memory pak, but it is kind of a moot point since Ares has save states. Below is a video of Merciless Edition being played on Ares with dithering on. Also Ares has great support for most of the N64 games and you can get it here: https://ares-emulator.github.io/

On 1/19/2022 at 8:17 PM, Immorpher said:

Finally decent N64 emulation is here! Ares is a modern multiplatform open-source emulator with great N64 support.

What's wrong with Bizhawk? Nice vid, BTW.

17 hours ago, Dimon12321 said:

What's wrong with Bizhawk? Nice vid, BTW.

I never heard of Bizhawk until now haha

Hey Morph, I know it's been a while since anything about this romhack was last talked about.

Regarding the custom levels, you may want to check out the latest version of OptiDoom (a backport of the infamous 3DO port which aims to improve it in general) by @Optimus. As can be guessed here, it has a feature of loading custom levels, albeit with limitations to be obeyed (documentation on these is still work-in-progress as of now).

Since the 3DO port, much like D64, is based on the Atari Jaguar port's code, this should help to an extent, although I'm not sure how much it can help you in the case of Merciless Edition, due to the vastly different sizes of custom D64 maps out there. Otherwise, I hope this still comes off as of any use to you!

11 hours ago, taufan99 said:

Hey Morph, I know it's been a while since anything about this romhack was last talked about.

Regarding the custom levels, you may want to check out the latest version of OptiDoom (a backport of the infamous 3DO port which aims to improve it in general) by @Optimus. As can be guessed here, it has a feature of loading custom levels, albeit with limitations to be obeyed (documentation on these is still work-in-progress as of now).

Since the 3DO port, much like D64, is based on the Atari Jaguar port's code, this should help to an extent, although I'm not sure how much it can help you in the case of Merciless Edition, due to the vastly different sizes of custom D64 maps out there. Otherwise, I hope this still comes off as of any use to you!

Oh thanks for pointing it out! Kovic has been making progress on this end too. I do plan on knuckling down and getting custom level support going, just a matter of carving out time.

On 1/22/2022 at 2:35 AM, Immorpher said:

I never heard of Bizhawk until now haha

Bizhawk previously used a Mupen64plus emulator core, but I believe their latest versions use the Ares N64 emulator to some extent.

2 hours ago, Kinsie said:

Bizhawk previously used a Mupen64plus emulator core, but I believe their latest versions use the Ares N64 emulator to some extent.

Makes sense! I have used both of those at various times.

I've finished Hectic in 100%, and am currently at Outpost Omega on the Project64 3.0 emulator. Unfortunately, although the saved game has no problem at all, the Features menu is no longer present after at least loading the game the second time after closing and re-opening the emulator.

Also, a rather minor visual bug at the area on Staging Area nearby the exit.

Otherwise, this is a very overlooked romhack that needs more of everyone's attention, either Doomers or N64/romhacking/retro gaming fans in general. Looking forward to the next major update!

Spoiler

GLideN64__000.png.0e44627d097b2da1a24a43092a237bf3.png

4 hours ago, taufan99 said:

I've finished Hectic in 100%, and am currently at Outpost Omega on the Project64 3.0 emulator. Unfortunately, although the saved game has no problem at all, the Features menu is no longer present after at least loading the game the second time after closing and re-opening the emulator.

Also, a rather minor visual bug at the area on Staging Area nearby the exit.

Otherwise, this is a very overlooked romhack that needs more of everyone's attention, either Doomers or N64/romhacking/retro gaming fans in general. Looking forward to the next major update!

Ohh I haven't tried it on 3.0 yet! I remember during the fades of Project 64 there would be a color glitch. Is there still that glitch in 3.0 or are the fades between levels smooth? Thank you for the bug reports! I know some of the sprite stuff can be bugs of the original Doom 64, but I am also using more RAM than the original Doom 64 so I gotta be careful they dont start bleeding into the video RAM.

3 hours ago, Immorpher said:

Ohh I haven't tried it on 3.0 yet! I remember during the fades of Project 64 there would be a color glitch. Is there still that glitch in 3.0 or are the fades between levels smooth? Thank you for the bug reports! I know some of the sprite stuff can be bugs of the original Doom 64, but I am also using more RAM than the original Doom 64 so I gotta be careful they dont start bleeding into the video RAM.

The fades are far smoother, as I can confirm. Sometimes white flickering will happen, but it's rare in between.