Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Muusi

SoftFX, or Bigger and Badder Software Lighting FX!

For Gzdoom I guess? Or does it work with vanilla? (I assume it doesn't, but still, it'd be good to know)

Edit: Forget it, I just tested the wad

Edited by Lol 6

On 4/5/2021 at 1:50 AM, Lol 6 said:

For Gzdoom I guess? Or does it work with vanilla? (I assume it doesn't, but still, it'd be good to know)

Edit: Forget it, I just tested the wad

The only thing where i couldn't get it to work were Chocolate Doom and the original DOS executable :) If someone knows how to do that, i'd be glad to modify the WAD!

EDIT: they work, didn't know how to properly load in Vanilla. 

Edited by Muusi

27 minutes ago, VentoliN13 said:

You sir, have just became a legend in the Doom community. . .

Haha i wish😅 Been a silent member since the early 2000's and only just now i've started to contribute in a small way😁

5 hours ago, Freedoomguy said:

thats cool can you add freedoom?

Hello, the only person who actually likes Freedoom😆 If there's demand i could do it but for now i'm doing the original IWADs and maybe versions for popular megawads like Valiant and Eviternity.

On 4/6/2021 at 3:57 PM, Muusi said:

Hello, the only person who actually likes Freedoom😆 If there's demand i could do it but for now i'm doing the original IWADs and maybe versions for popular megawads like Valiant and Eviternity.

Been playing with this, and its a total blast!

I tried it on chocolate and vanilla with great effects ;)
Only problem is that it clash with those mapsets with different colorpal and playpal
So, there is a chance you make something like this for Back to Saturn X?
It would be a complete enhancement for an already awesome mapset :D

On 4/6/2021 at 1:57 PM, Muusi said:

I'd love to see this implemented in both of those, Ancient Aliens and BTSX.  Keep up the good work.

Edited by VanaheimRanger

On 4/6/2021 at 3:57 PM, Muusi said:

and maybe versions for popular megawads like Valiant and Eviternity.

If you're already working on those please disregard this comment, but i think if you're going that far i'd suggest doing "software brightmaps" for mappers (by making a modified version of 32in24-15tex and/or otex for example, given those the the biggest and most widely used) so it's used a lot more widely and treated less like a novelty. I'd personally love to see it and maybe even use them for my own projects if you ever were to make them!

12 hours ago, MattFright said:

by making a modified version of 32in24-15tex and/or otex for exampleby making a modified version of 32in24-15tex and/or otex for example, given those the the biggest and most widely used) so it's used a lot more widely and treated less like a novelty. 

Please tell me what this means i'm interested. I've never heard of 32in24-15 or anything like this.

22 minutes ago, Muusi said:

Please tell me what this means i'm interested. I've never heard of 32in24-15 or anything like this.

It's the name of a popular texture pack used by mappers. The previous version was named cc4-tex.wad. You can find 32in24-15 tex at the link below:

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Cc4-tex

1 hour ago, RDETalus said:

It's the name of a popular texture pack used by mappers. The previous version was named cc4-tex.wad. You can find 32in24-15 tex at the link below:

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Cc4-tex

Thanks for the info! Do these texture packs use the same colormap?

1 minute ago, Muusi said:

Thanks for the info! Do these texture packs use the same colormap?

I dont think they modify it, so it should be the same as vanilla

Interesting... I might look into this. Custom monsters will still be a problem and a couple of Vanilla sprites need minor fixes too so they don't have fullbright pixels in wrong areas. 

11 minutes ago, Muusi said:

Interesting... I might look into this. Custom monsters will still be a problem and a couple of Vanilla sprites need minor fixes too so they don't have fullbright pixels in wrong areas. 

At least once you get the universal texture packs done it'll all be easier to adapt to specific wads through small patches :D

44 minutes ago, MattFright said:

I dont think they modify it, so it should be the same as vanilla

32in24-15-tex does use a modified palette and colormap, importing BTSX's red range fix to prevent red stuff from abruptly turning brown, as well as a slight change to the blue ramp.

I always wondered how difficult it would be to get a widely-agreed-upon standard for brightmaps.  Some chocolate forks have them, but the textures to which they apply to seem hardcoded.  Seems like if you can parse UMAPINFO, you could also parse a brightmap lump that maps texture names to palette ranges to fullbright, and get effects like this in a more targeted way.

1 hour ago, AlexMax said:

I always wondered how difficult it would be to get a widely-agreed-upon standard for brightmaps.  Some chocolate forks have them, but the textures to which they apply to seem hardcoded.  Seems like if you can parse UMAPINFO, you could also parse a brightmap lump that maps texture names to palette ranges to fullbright, and get effects like this in a more targeted way.

I propose UBRIGHTMAP or, for the British, UBRIGHTMATE to be the name of this standard.

I agree, brightmaps (also on monsters) should be standard everywhere they can be done!

Edited by Muusi

What is the difference between this ad brightmaps.pk3 from gzdoom?

Btw brightmaps do nothing on my end. I load brightmaps.pk3 on RocketLauncher and I see no difference.

10 hours ago, mankubus said:

What is the difference between this ad brightmaps.pk3 from gzdoom?

Btw brightmaps do nothing on my end. I load brightmaps.pk3 on RocketLauncher and I see no difference.

The difference is that my WAD doesn't contain true brightmaps, it's an edited colormap that makes some colors appear bright even in dark areas and sprites and textures have been edited with those fullbright colors in mind. That means you don't need GZDoom for this and it works even in the original DOS executable.

For your brightmaps problem, i can't say where the problem might be. Have you tried just launching GZDoom.exe and enabling brightmaps on the startup window? 

Edited by Muusi

2 hours ago, Muusi said:

The difference is that my WAD doesn't contain true brightmaps, it's an edited colormap that makes some colors appear bright even in dark areas and sprites and textures have been edited with those fullbright colors in mind. That means you don't need GZDoom for this and it works even in the original DOS executable.

For your brightmaps problem, i can't say where the problem might be. Have you tried just launching GZDoom.exe and enabling brightmaps on the startup window? 

When using Rocketlauncher 2 i dont see that startup window but anyway when launching gzdoom i see the window and both load lights and load brighmaps are enabled yet i cannot see them.