Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Havok

Can you change a non-interactive portal to an interactive one via a switch?

Say you have a non-interactive portal where you can see through the portal without going through it. Is there a way to have the player press a switch to change the portal to an interactive one? Can I also have the portal change texture or colour when the switch is pressed?

I don't know much about portals, but you can probably erect an invisible wall in front of it. You could also move sectors up and down afterwards to make mid texture disappear or re-appear.

That would be techniques I would use in boom (If Boom had portals), UDMF or whatever you are using might have better ways.

For the latter question: you can draw a flat on the flat border between two portal areas (eg like a transparent water surface, or a metal grid).  This is a property of the sector affected by a portal.  So changing the texture in-game will change that appearance. This doesn't work with a wall portal.

You can't change the type of portal in-game. So you cannot make a non-interactive portal suddenly interactive. Best course of action would be to block the portal with an invisible barrier.