Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sephiroth

VGA boxes

well i know there is a big difference in a TV and a monitor.
most monitors lack the ability to use the lower quality analog signal a TV uses. It also lacks the parts that filter, tune and 'de-scramble' that signal. most also lack speakers. however, a monitor uses a higher quality signal(not sure if it is analog or digital or both) it also has a better tube, if CRT. Thus makeing a finer image and higher resalutions. it is also more sensitive to signal 'disruptions' or interfernce.
The TV has remained basicly the same over the past 60+ years it has been around. thought parts have evolved, the same system is still in use. but that has begun to change in the last 15-10 years. most all TV's use a lower quailty analog signal. this signals tends to have more 'disruptions', interfernce and spikes. But it filters these out. It also tunes to a certian frequency for the channels. seperates the sounds and video in the signals, and unscrables this basic data. has a lower resalution screen, i think it is around 640x400. Because the signals and screen are low quality images look better than they really are.

SO here is my point, a game system looks totaly different on a montior han a TV. the monitor shows the lower quality signal. unless you have a game system the supports digital and HRTV(HDTV)
I found this out after getting a VGA box for a computer. it does a good job at cleaning up TV channels(cable use) and those look fine. games lose their luster when run thru the normal coax connection. infact i had to buy a digital adapter for the X-Box to use the high reselutions, had one for the gamecube. so u do see one reason games on a console are easy to do, most run at 640x400. but the few that support the high res games are starting to show. i have yet to try the normal PS and the dream cast. the PS2 looked awful, every image was blurry and most games sent a res of about 320x600(thing gives a read out of signal) so the PS2 will stay with the TV were it looks good. Xbox and game cube are about the same, though neither gets the resalution that any PC game gets. both, like the PS2, have some blurred images. except a few of the Xbox games that supported the HDTV, those looked really good(also PC quality) need to find gamecube games that support it, and i am not sure if the PS2 does support HDTV. anyway post away.
anyway

It depends on how a game is made. Games like Mario 64 play just fine on a 320x240 image. Games like Unreal Tournament are difficult to play in anything less than 1024x768, if you're doing long-range sniping and things of that nature.

I remember buying a VGA box for my Dreamcast some time ago. The image was greatly improved over my TV. Textures were crisper, colors more vibrant. My only complaint was that jaggies were more easily seen. I'm thinking that this is due to scanlines or something of that nature.

Any XBox game supporting HDTV should look fantastic. Try DOA3.

Also, I play UT in 640x480, sometimes 512x400, and have an easy time sniping still.

yea games that do support the HDTV rock, i am not sure what gamecube games do. i have yet to try my dreamcast out or any others. curious as to what the NES will be like. though i have a older CGA monitor that is really a TV minus the tuner.
games i like so far on hdtv, DOA3, Unreal championship and silent hill II
I am realy amazed at silent hill,s lighting effects. seems shadows maybe be real time in that game too. if not they did one hell of a job with texture shadows. Also models seem to cast shadows on them selevs, but that could be animation. hey does anyone know the secs on the engine they used in that game.