Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
iUsuallyDie

An old mid-90s Gamesmaster episode where a kid takes on 3 middle-managers in a Doom E1M2 deathmatch

Actual Doom gameplay starts at about the 4:11 mark

A few things I've taken away from this:

1. The managers are actually rubbish at this
2. Wow I do not miss turning with the cursor keys at all
3. Getting killed once apparently eliminates you IN REAL LIFE 

Cool video, thanks for sharing!

I guess the managers didn't want to be too good at the game. Boss might raise some eyebrows as to how much Doom they really play at work lol.

Yeah cursor keys aren't as precise as mouse, but it's definitely very playable.

I wonder where that kid is now...

It's also a great reminder of how unabashedly strange Gamesmaster was - often pushing the boundaries of what was broadcastable for a show allegedly aimed at children :) And always featuring a biomechanically enhanced Patrick Moore as the Gamesmaster himself, although this series was set in heaven so this time he was God instead.

There was talk of a revival with the new Gamesmaster being played by Patrick Stewart - it doesn't sound true to me but if that's right I'm going to absolutely lose it

Edit: I've just realized I now resemble the middle managers, rather than the young opponent I identified with at the time D:

I didn't know about this show (probably cuz I'm a zoomer lol), but this is quite entertaining! Thank you for sharing that with us!
That one business man looks a lot like John Carmack, btw.

I remember that show, it was a British program that used to air on thursday or friday evenings. It was hosted by an old well-spoken man with a monocle and several random pieces of techno-babble stuck to his head.

It was really cheesy, but at the time it was one of the few gaming shows on TV. Outside of magazines it was the only other way to keep up to date on new games being released. As opposed to buying random games and hoping you got a good one that is. Shamefully as a kid I used to watch this religiously. 

I used to watch GamesMaster religiously as well, I actually vaguely remember this episode, certainly the bit where the kid gets the Supercharge in the secret area.  1995 was the year that I completed Doom for the first time, so I think I had just completed it when this aired in the UK and I hadn't found many of the secrets, so I was intrigued by the secret areas.  It might well have contributed significantly to my strong interest in secret hunting in 1996/97 which has to some extent stayed with me since.