Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Archkyle666

Looking to buy original Doom 1 (full game) floppies + box. [~$600]

Are you referring to the original Shareware version? Your use of the word "Retail" is throwing me off here because Doom 1 wasn't initially sold in stores. You had to buy the rest of the game from id Software themselves and they'd send you the box. I have to assume you are because you can otherwise find people selling physical copies of The Ultimate Doom on eBay and Amazon rather easily.

1 minute ago, Biodegradable said:

Are you referring to the original Shareware version? Your use of the word "Retail" is throwing me off here because Doom 1 wasn't initially sold in stores. You had to buy the rest of the game from id Software themselves and they'd send you the box. I have to assume you are because you can otherwise find people selling physical copies of The Ultimate Doom on eBay and Amazon rather easily.

You're right, I wasn't thinking. I mean mail-in, I'll make an edit!

On 4/3/2021 at 2:19 PM, Biodegradable said:

Doom 1 wasn't initially sold in stores

With the exception of certain countries outside of the US, such as Australia which got a retail big box release for the registered (3-episode) version of the game.

Paying around $400 depending on condition. PM me if you're interested.

Price negotiable though.

Edited by Archkyle666

15 minutes ago, Archkyle666 said:

Paying around $400 depending on condition. PM me if you're interested.

Buy low, sell high, eh? [:wink:]

11 hours ago, Major Arlene said:

11 hours ago, Ratz said:

i feel like 600 is a lowball

600 for a decent pre-owned condition is more than reasonable. About before I started looking, there was an auction that ended at ~400, a really well-kept one sold at 600. I dont expect to purchase sealed/first edition copies.

14 hours ago, Archkyle666 said:

I dont expect to purchase sealed/first edition copies.

The image in your original post is the first and only edition of the US released mail-order Doom 1993. You're probably better off trying to acquire the 1995 extended edition called The Ultimate Doom. That came on floppy disk and CD-ROM and is much easier and cheaper to get.

9 minutes ago, Boaby Kenobi said:

The image in your original post is the first and only edition of the US released mail-order Doom 1993.

Note that the mail-order release went through several revisions.  Here is a video someone made:

On 4/16/2021 at 4:40 AM, Archkyle666 said:

600 for a decent pre-owned condition is more than reasonable. About before I started looking, there was an auction that ended at ~400, a really well-kept one sold at 600. I dont expect to purchase sealed/first edition copies.

for someone who doesnt know what theyre dealing with? sure, maybe 600 is enough for them. but youre on a doom centered forum, do you think any of the hardcore doom fans would be open to letting their copy go for 600?

6 hours ago, ReX said:

F*ckin' thieves!

Heh. Capitalism at its best.

I had a friend in grade school with that exact same copy. Hope he kept the floppies and the box. And got a nice shrinkwrapper. He could make a mint.

Off a shareware version.

I highly doubt I have my old shareware floppies anywhere at this point. They were mail order, but I don't even recall them coming in an actual retail box. I think it was just a box with the disks in it, labeled Doom.

I still have my cd versions of Ultimate Doom and Doom 2 if anyone is interested. No boxes or anything, but I'd be willing to let them go for $600 a piece.

Edited by Jello

8 hours ago, Jello said:

Doom 2 .... No boxes or anything, but I'd be willing to let them go for $600 a piece.

I'll match your price and even throw in the box. Ha!

2 hours ago, ReX said:

I'll match your price and even throw in the box. Ha!

Fine, $450.

I was really pissed when my mom threw away all of my game boxes when I was around 12. I liked keeping them because they were neat. And it's not like there wasn't enough space in the basement, she hardly ever went down there except to do laundry. I think she just got pissed off, needed something to do, and cleaning the junk out of the basement was what she decided on.

If I still had the boxes for some of my games, the price would easily double.

On 4/15/2021 at 8:40 PM, Archkyle666 said:

600 for a decent pre-owned condition is more than reasonable.

okay richie rich

5 hours ago, Jello said:

.... basement, she hardly ever went down there except to do laundry

Or, perhaps, she was afraid of the poltergeist.

5 hours ago, Jello said:

If I still had the boxes for some of my games, the price would easily double.

Yes, I agree with your sentiment.