Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
StrangerRanger

How do I get into metal?

My musical preferences are really random, I'm not really into any specific genre. Basically if I discover a new song and I like it, I simply listen to it. Excluding Doom soundtrack, I only know like 4 metal songs and all of them are Metallica. So where do I start? I want to discover new songs without sticking to Metallica all the time. Do you have any recommendations? Thank you in advance!

Start with Destroyer 666, Sodom, Blind Guardian, Nifelheim, Dissection, Death, Emperor, and Dismember. Go from there.

Edited by [McD]James

Hah, I knew this playlist I made a while ago would come in handy someday:

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/03JuUIzEgxIbQI3uaUDfMi?si=WVtAFsylTYCDlWqgAzb4-w&utm_source=copy-link

It's all pretty accessible stuff, arranged roughly from less intense to more intense, but the more intense stuff is still pretty tame.

Then start diving into Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Metallica's first four albums, Iowa by Slipknot, Strapping Young Lad, Death etc and keep digging further down the rabbithole from there until you're listening to stuff like Beneath The Massacre, Destroyer 666, etc

Edit:

Oh hey here's my regular metal playlist if you wanna skip the initiation phase and just dive in:

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/6rmSHvSFyw4RnH4UGDN7eO?si=tFCf1GjPTd2Ho0bOPcg0Mg&utm_source=copy-link

Edited by Marn

well...that depends on what kinda metal you wanna listen to. i personally used to listen to a lot of 80s thrash (that includes metallica), i can recommend you some good stuff if you're interested

3 minutes ago, roadworx said:

well...that depends on what kinda metal you wanna listen to. i personally used to listen to a lot of 80s thrash (that includes metallica), i can recommend you some good stuff if you're interested

Don't exactly know what kind of metal I want, anything that can make my head move to the rhythm of the music is definitely good enough. Metallica - Seek & Destroy and Blind Guardian - Mirror Mirror meet the criteria pretty well.

I'd recommend you listen to the most highly regarded albums by the most popular and influential bands like Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, Slayer, Motorhead, Venom and so on. Then you can figure out which styles you like and delve deeper.

Motorhead is really good as well, but they've always seemed like they were always on that divide where punk and metal separated. Still definitely worth a listen though.

I know it's cliched, but the album Ace of Spades is really good. When I heard "Road Crew" while playing Brutal Legend I fell in love with them. Still my favorite Motorhead song.

Oh, and despite what people might say about Slipknot, their self-titled album is actually really good. Never cared for mate-feed-kill-repeat or Iowa. But the self titled is really good.

Edited by Jello : Spelling

23 minutes ago, roadworx said:

Iron Maiden - Hallowed Be Thy Name

Definitely this. Awesome - still sends shivers down my spine.

13 minutes ago, Jello said:

but they've always seemed like they were always on that divide where punk and metal separated

Well, According to the man himself, "We are Motorhead, and we play rock 'n' roll". Every gig I ever saw he said that.

Try this:

... If that ain't rock n roll, I don't know what is!

4 minutes ago, smeghammer said:

Definitely this. Awesome - still sends shivers down my spine.

Well, According to the man himself, "We are Motorhead, and we play rock 'n' roll". Every gig I ever saw he said that.

Try this:

... If that ain't rock n roll, I don't know what is!

That's true, can't really shoehorn them into a genre. My Dad called it headbanger music. So yeah, not quite metal, not quite punk... It's only Rock N Roll.

@smeghammer You're a Motorhead fan?  I never would've guessed

;3

My metal journey started with Black Sabbath (esp. their first 6 albums), Iron Maiden (esp. The Number of the Beast, Powerslave, and Seventh Son of a Seventh Son), Judas Priest (esp. Sad Wings of Destiny, Stained Class, Screaming for Vengeance, and fucking Painkiller), Slayer (Everything from Hell Awaits through Seasons in the Abyss are brilliant)...the old standards, all of which IMO have aged quite well.  From there, metal as a genre diverges massively in terms of speed, energy, mood, temperament...once you explore the "classic" bands try dipping your toes into a few subgenres to see what sticks to you.  Oh and never ever listen to anybody who tells you not to listen to something because it's poser or not real metal or whatever, they are lame and their lameness shouldn't color what you genuinely enjoy.  I'll offer a handful of recommendations tilted towards what I really like myself.

For stoner/doom/drone, probably my favorite subgenre:

Sleep - Sleep's Holy Mountain (a lot of people will recommend Dopesmoker, but I like Holy Mountain better and it's probably better "entry level" stoner doom anyway

Pentagram - Relentless

EDIT: I forgot to mention Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats but highly recommend them, especially Blood Lust and Mind Control

Earth - Primitive and Deadly (if you want something more pensive and spaced-out)

Boris - Feedbacker (if you want something really pensive and spaced-out)

sunn O))) - Life Metal (if you want to feel like you're drifting into a supermassive black hole)

For blåckmetal:

Darkthrone - Transilvanian Hunger

Immortal - Pure Holocaust

For gothy shit:

Type O Negative - Basically anything but I especially like World Coming Down, October Rust and Bloody Kisses

Symphonic:

Nightwish - Once and Oceanborn are my favorites

Sludge:

Acid Bath - When the Kite String Pops (seriously gotta listen to this one anyway it's amazing)

Weedeater - God Luck and Good Speed (my favorite for when I'm drunk as shit)

Oh yeah also The Headless Children and the title album by W.A.S.P. are fucking great if you want some 80s metal that really kicks

Probably a ton of good stuff that I'm forgetting just now, but these leap to mind as old favorites for you to explore eventually.

Edited by StupidBunny : edited because Uncle Acid is the tits

To me getting into metal territory was a natural thing and I feel like lot of people went through similar processes.

Starting out with the most known bands, sticking to them for a bit, then starting to look for something more and more fast and aggressive. Then, wanting to explore unusual stuff or unique, thus ending up listening to the most fuck top and weird sub-genres.

Pretty much summarized my 15 years musical journey with metal music.

Rather than telling you what you should listen to:

Google "most popular Metal bands." 

Go down the list. From there explore metal sub genres. Dial in your own taste. 

Just listen to some. Like it's just a genre of music, you don't really need to mentally and physically prepare for a thousand years, climb Mount Everest and find a god-like deity who blesses you with the Knowledge of Metal.

2 minutes ago, N1ck said:

you don't really need to mentally and physically prepare for a thousand years, climb Mount Everest and find a god-like deity who blesses you with the Knowledge of Metal.

ahem

30 minutes ago, SYS said:

Rather than telling you what you should listen to:

Google "most popular Metal bands." 

Go down the list. From there explore metal sub genres. Dial in your own taste. 

I did this myself and Slipknot, System of a Down, Panterrible, Korn, Anthrax, and Avenged Sevenfold immediately popped up. Popularity is not always an indication of quality. 

It's all subjective so us listing what are good bands could be totally irrelevant to you.

My suggestion is identify what type of music you're really into and see if you can find a blend of your favourite genre and a bit of metal mixed into it. You can ease in and I suppose "evolve" your taste into metal. It won't be easy to find but someone with diverse taste and knowledge of metal could share some suggestions if you tell us what genres of music you quite like.

Edited by Chezza

TL;DR Find something you like that pisses off whoever you want to piss off. That's really all metal is about at the end of the day

Edited by QuaketallicA

10 hours ago, Willow said:

My musical preferences are really random, I'm not really into any specific genre. Basically if I discover a new song and I like it, I simply listen to it. Excluding Doom soundtrack, I only know like 4 metal songs and all of them are Metallica. So where do I start? I want to discover new songs without sticking to Metallica all the time. Do you have any recommendations? Thank you in advance!

I was gonna say I most agree with @Chezza but then that just really reflects how I got into metal. I found something I liked and just snowballed with similar stuff from there, though what I like has changed over time. If you really do find it difficult to categorise what you like then tossing out random suggestions might be the best, at the very least I do like to see people listen to more than Metallica. I'm kinda deep into the mire of progressive/melodic death and doom metal, generally more recent bands. 

12 hours ago, Willow said:

I would recommend Black Sabbath..

And Iron Maiden..

Do what I once did by accident while searching for a specific track from 1985 that was only released on audio cassette - type "Thrash Metal" into the search box in YouTube; it starts a rabbit hole of new music that seems to be an inexhaustible supply of new - and old - bands. Might work for other metal genres :)