Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
m3_mapper

Dead simple softlock fix?

Question

On Doom II's map 07 (Dead Simple) a softlock can occur when two archnotrons die at about the same time where the platform that lets you walk up to the exit raises up to far and prevents level completion (a softlock). I am currently working on a wad that seeks to fix various map specific bugs, and this would fall under that category. Due to the way that dead simple achieves the means of raising the platform, I am seemingly unable to resolve this problem. Does anyone know a boom-compatible solution?

5 answers to this question

9 minutes ago, m3_mapper said:

I ended up finding a much cheaper, more compatible solution.

care to share?

What about turning the raised platform into a lift that lowers when you press it? It may be unobvious if you're first time playing map07 and you get the glitch. That's what happened to me actually, and I was unfamiliar with how the central dais looked before and after the onslaught. Eventually I did see that it somehow got closer to one of the mancubus platforms, so I finished by running from one of them to jump to the exit. But anyway, to make it more clear it's a lift, you can give it a specific texture like SUPPORT3.

On 4/4/2021 at 12:09 AM, ViolentBeetle said:

In Boom you can make it a voodoo scroller and activate something else. In Doom lift is your best option probably.

I ended up finding a much cheaper, more compatible solution.

On 4/14/2021 at 8:00 PM, omalefico32x said:

care to share?

Sure, I'll describe it best I can.

The platform normally starts at ground level. When you kill all the arachnotrons, the platform raises if 16 units, so the player can make the otherwise impossible 32 unit climb. When it gets triggered twice the stairs go up 32 units making the climb impossible. Doomguy can climb 24 units, so if the stair was only 8 units above the ground, he could still make the climb. So a cheap, very compatible solution is to lower that platform by 8 units on the mapper's side, so that it can be climbed, even if the bug occurs, preventing a softlock. It can be decorated as needed after the fact. This entire post was just a complicated way to say lower the platform by 8 units.