Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Havok

How do you retain correct colours but smooth pixels?

I use GZDoom to play Doom wads. Apparently the default setting smooths the pixels but it also uses incorrect colours or something. How do I smooth pixels but keep the correct colours, etc?

Set texture filtering off and play in software mode. Assuming by correct colors you mean the vanilla look.

23 hours ago, Havok said:

But the jaggy pixels aren't smoothed in software mode.

You get to choose between pixel glory or a smudged filtering. 

i'm pretty sure op is talking about wanting to have smoothed pixels in software mode. which, to answer their question: you can't. texture filtering is exclusive to modes that use the hardware. you could maybe get someone to make a wad that replaces all sprites with blurred versions of themselves that would somehow look like texture filtered sprites, but it's gonna be pretty difficult trying to find someone willing to do something that'd take so much effort

Edited by roadworx

Go into Display Options>Hardware Renderer and set Sector Light Mode to "Software".

Then go into Display Options>Hardware Renderer>Postprocessing and set Tonemap Mode to "Palette".

Edited by scalliano

On 4/4/2021 at 12:30 AM, Havok said:

I use GZDoom to play Doom wads. Apparently the default setting smooths the pixels but it also uses incorrect colours or something. How do I smooth pixels but keep the correct colours, etc?

Do you mean, like this?

Spoiler

Skull-6.jpg.ad5c93ad0573d736c79c56f7dcf33f54.jpgThis is Hardware mode upscaled with HqNx MMX x4. Go to Display options/Texture Options/HQ Resize mode and choose the option you like.

847428459_TextureOptions.jpg.d3a2efa9fe5b205c00f4b2bcba98a77d.jpg

3 hours ago, roadworx said:

i'm pretty sure op is talking about wanting to have smoothed pixels in software mode. which, to answer their question: you can't. texture filtering is exclusive to modes that use the hardware. you could maybe get someone to make a wad that replaces all sprites with blurred versions of themselves that would somehow look like texture filtered sprites, but it's gonna be pretty difficult trying to find someone willing to do something that'd take so much effort

Truecolor Software mode supports linear filtering. :P

23 minutes ago, LUISDooM said:

Do you mean, like this?

Reveal hidden contents

Skull-6.jpg.ad5c93ad0573d736c79c56f7dcf33f54.jpgThis is Hardware mode upscaled with HqNx MMX x4. Go to Display options/Texture Options/HQ Resize mode and choose the option you like.

847428459_TextureOptions.jpg.d3a2efa9fe5b205c00f4b2bcba98a77d.jpg

Truecolor Software mode supports linear filtering. :P

whoops, i stand corrected then :p