Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The Lone Wolf

Do You think Id's new upcoming game would be Quake ?

As title states, what do you think about that ? I am asking this because whenever I look some topics and read comments from here and there (Reddit, Youtube, DooMworld) people are asking this question "New Quake 1 when ?". This question is asked very frequently lately after New DooM games released. Even my friends who are into FPS games discussing this time to time. I want to be clear about it, I am dead certain of id would think of making a new Quake game but I am not sure about if it would be like as we might expect from them. Maybe a story based game, maybe even FPS RPG game. Who knows right ?

a sequel to the original quake with similar fast-paced gameplay would be pretty cool, but i s2g if they just call it "quake" i'm gonna scream

If it were to happen I hope we get that quake 1 gothic horror vibe with the Trent Reznor chainsaw metal music, but might be asking for too much. Plus quake these days is seen as a multiplayer game.

Don't care.  Don't like sequels in creation of which none of the original key-creators are involved.  It may or may not be good in its own right, but they should be designing new games with their own ideas and not cashing in on the names of old ones.  If they're so creative, why don't they?  If they really think to make a new game that improves upon the old, let it stand or fall on its own, too.

i just want something i can never have.... Quake sequel where key-designers are John & Sandy. :P  And Trent doing the sound-design, ha-ha.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they did something like Quake or some other one-off product.

But what I really expect is a Doom game set between the time Samuel Hayden locks up the Slayer and the start of Eternal when he’s got a space fort. Seems like some interesting things happened there and I’m not reading lore notes to find out what they were

Probably that would be more of a Year 2 Season pass than a whole new game. Not sure. 

Just tagging myself back in to add that Microsoft is probably gonna want a Doom game from ID. Eternal and ‘16 both made really good money, and Microsoft spent a ton acquiring Bethesda 

13 hours ago, roadworx said:

a sequel to the original quake with similar fast-paced gameplay would be pretty cool, but i s2g if they just call it "quake" i'm gonna scream

Don't worry they will call it Quake 2 as it would be the legit sequel to Quake!  Please direct all rage to the angry machine.

I sure hope it is a Quake 1 sequel and, but this is my personal wish, more on the horror side of things than doom 2016 was.

Besides a new Doom game, a Quake game is what I imagine they'd work on next. They've already made quite a few Wolfenstein games, so it wouldn't make sense for them to flood the market with ANOTHER Wolfenstein title. But if they do a Quake game, I hope it at least feels like Quake 1 for campaign and has good multiplayer.

59 minutes ago, jamman39 said:

Just tagging myself back in to add that Microsoft is probably gonna want a Doom game from ID. Eternal and ‘16 both made really good money, and Microsoft spent a ton acquiring Bethesda 

Hmmm...I hate to say it, but you might not be wrong.

If it is Quake I hope they would lean hard into the cosmic horror side of things. Really dark and spooky. I doubt they could get Reznor back to score, but if they did, that alone would be worth full price.

30 minutes ago, Doritos420 said:

If it is Quake I hope they would lean hard into the cosmic horror side of things. Really dark and spooky. I doubt they could get Reznor back to score, but if they did, that alone would be worth full price.

Fortunately (and not to knock the Reznor soundtrack at all) we have quite a few darker ambient writers out there, I have no doubt one or more of them could make a killer soundtrack for a Quake sequel.

I was just thinking earlier today about how Quake by way of its sequels became kind of emblematic of a tech-over-atmosphere ethos at id, and how as others have pointed out it lost its dour Lovecraftian feel in place of being a well-engineered but somewhat soulless vehicle for multiplayer action.  Given the success of the new Doom games and the principles that went into them, I think it’s not overly optimistic to say that if id returns to Quake it could be a similar back-to-basics affair with a greater emphasis on character and mood.

Then again, if id or more operatively the Microsoft overlords feel that the gaming public expects and wants something more like Quake III Arena then that’s probably what it will end up being

It would be sweet if they did make a new Quake and I wouldn't mind if it was a sequel to Quake 1 or 2. I would prefer if they didn't go too nuts with the platforming and lore overkill. haha.

hope not. I don't wanna see current gen blood and guts, it's too much. I think the current wave of first person gaming is so gory that I will never even check out streams of them again, sorry. I mean Quake had the infamous gibs everywhere but even at the time they looked polygonal and sorta ridiculous; the modern day equivalent would just be totally unacceptable to look at or to have to design, just war crime stuff.

I hope the next ID game is a weaponless platformer about delivering pizza tbh

a big part of me wants to see a quake reboot using both lovecraft and the strogg but a bigger part of me wants a new ip

43 minutes ago, a.a.i. said:

Quakeslayer is quakeguy, who is also doomslayer and doomguy

Turns out he's been using slipgates to sneak around all the dimensions.

8 minutes ago, omalefico32x said:

a big part of me wants to see a quake reboot using both lovecraft and the strogg but a bigger part of me wants a new ip

A new ip sounds good but that's how we got Rage. Hmmm, what single word could they use for a new title.... Frag or Cringe or Zap or Tread or Soda. ;)

30 minutes ago, yakfak said:

I hope the next ID game is a weaponless platformer about delivering pizza tbh

Death Stranding Prince of Pizza? lol

GREMLINS

monster_hipnotic_gremlin.png.821cc7bb1cf07048733839b1771cb521.png

I don't know about you but I miss them when they were stealing my weapons then watch them killing eachother with the weapons they stole from me.

Their sounds are also fun as hell.

I sure hope they don't make it Doom 2016/Eternal with a Quake skin...

I'd absolutely love to see Ogres and Fiends rendered by modern graphical standards. And yes, if we do get a glorious return to Quake, I hope it primarily if not entirely takes after the first. Though I do wonder if it would be possible to create a competent non-multiplayer Quake game that combines the Lovecraftian gothic, the Strogg, and the Arena all together in a way that makes sense. 

1 hour ago, Sotenga said:

Though I do wonder if it would be possible to create a competent non-multiplayer Quake game that combines the Lovecraftian gothic, the Strogg, and the Arena all together in a way that makes sense. 

It's not that hard to be honest.

Quake 1 had already levels and scenes in spacesbases. and with tech, it's not that hard to the next game try to get thoses Spacetechs as Stroggs ones, powerfuls enemies that invade plantes trougth slipgates and convert the enemies into them. The opening of various Slipgates also wakes the marines group of the Rangers ones (They may not be the more techs marines, as they have a more conventional armours and weapons) but they know thoses slipgates are powered by Runes guarded by Lovecraftian horrors.

The destructions across slipgates and enemies, wakes also the Lovecraftian Gods, and also wake Vadrigar, the Arena Master, who may be helping you or not, he only enjoy the destruction and the frags done by the player and rewards you for that.

Just now, THE IMP said:

I played already. It is very well designed artistic mod.

I didn't expect it to be so good, it's the best mod I've ever played in my life and I think it's much better than Alien Vendetta (I think it's the best doom WAD).

ad_tears is the best level of any shooter I've ever played, it's a wonderful level.

I hope not.

I feel like the ID peop’s could do with the freedom of a new IP to let their creativity juices flow at the moment.

That said, they haven’t touched Quake in a while so if the big wigs think they can sell then I wouldn’t be entirely surprised if that is what we get next.