Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
borogk

Made a short review video about Sunlust

Hey this video was fun, and I liked your sense of humor. As a Sunlust fan, I enjoyed that it covered some underdiscussed aspects and fresh ideas. Those include the concept of "combat geometry," Sunlust's philosophy for difficulty settings (I really liked the statistical comparison), and its suitability for continuous play.

Overall, the review felt backed up by thought and research. You didn't cover only surface-level observations like Sunlust's difficulty and style of combat or its beautiful visuals -- you surrounded those with fresh insights and analysis. That is not always common in reviews and I appreciated it. 

Some constructive feedback:

- The review structure could feel scattered. The chosen material suggests this rough structure:

1: intro and premise
2: background on ports and Doom history
3: Sunlust's maps and gameplay/visuals and other content 
4: "how should I play this?" (pistol start vs. continuous; difficulty settings)
5: concluding thoughts.

Notably, music would fit into 3, but the review covers it between 4 and 5 instead. 

- Since the premise is "Why is [Sunlust] great?" a topic I was expecting to get more airtime is what makes Sunlust's encounters fun and well designed. The review says the maps play well and introduces the idea of "combat geometry" -- but neither idea is pursued in much detail.

Instead, more time is spent on supporting content, like Doom history, and peripheral points like which monster is Sunlust's hallmark.

Those sections are good though, and justify their existence through humor and presentation. But the overall proportions clash with the expectations created by the premise -- making that premise look tacked-on.

- Occasionally, sections were introduced like "now we're going to talk about ___" instead of a more fluid transition, which could be jarring. 

Anyway, fun video, and good for what is apparently a first time. Looking forward to whichever reviews you do next.

51 minutes ago, rd. said:

Hey this video was fun, and I liked your sense of humor. As a Sunlust fan, I enjoyed that it covered some underdiscussed aspects and fresh ideas. Those include the concept of "combat geometry," Sunlust's philosophy for difficulty settings (I really liked the statistical comparison), and its suitability for continuous play.

Overall, the review felt backed up by thought and research. You didn't cover only surface-level observations like Sunlust's difficulty and style of combat or its beautiful visuals -- you surrounded those with fresh insights and analysis. That is not always common in reviews and I appreciated it. 

Some constructive feedback:

- The review structure could feel scattered. The chosen material suggests this rough structure:

1: intro and premise
2: background on ports and Doom history
3: Sunlust's maps and gameplay/visuals and other content 
4: "how should I play this?" (pistol start vs. continuous; difficulty settings)
5: concluding thoughts.

Notably, music would fit into 3, but the review covers it between 4 and 5 instead. 

- Since the premise is "Why is [Sunlust] great?" a topic I was expecting to get more airtime is what makes Sunlust's encounters fun and well designed. The review says the maps play well and introduces the idea of "combat geometry" -- but neither idea is pursued in much detail.

Instead, more time is spent on supporting content, like Doom history, and peripheral points like which monster is Sunlust's hallmark.

Those sections are good though, and justify their existence through humor and presentation. But the overall proportions clash with the expectations created by the premise -- making that premise look tacked-on.

- Occasionally, sections were introduced like "now we're going to talk about ___" instead of a more fluid transition, which could be jarring. 

Anyway, fun video, and good for what is apparently a first time. Looking forward to whichever reviews you do next.

Oh wow, thanks for such thorough feedback!

Certainly, the overall structure of my video could be better. I came up with ~50% of the script in the first few hours and it reflects how my train of though was going. That's where all the ramblings about Doom 2 / favorite monster came from. And then the other half was written as I started making it, so there's that.

Regarding where the music section should have gone - I'm not sure myself. It was the most relaxing topic for me to cover. So naturally I put it right before the end :)

Anyway, you're right - it is my first time. I hope to improve in the future and I'm glad you had fun watching!

2 hours ago, Grain of Salt said:

I liked this video

Reveal hidden contents

The cow is a friend, indeed

Thanks!

Spoiler

Cows sure are better friends than martians.

Great video, man! I was surprised to see such high quality right out the gate, with excellent editing, good sound and clear, confident narration. You just earned yourself a sub!

Any criticism I might have had has already been articulated succinctly by @rd., so I'll avoid making redundant points. I look forward to seeing what you do next!

It's a nicely made vid with solid info and production value. Good stuff, man. I've gone ahead and subscribed, so you better have some more for me soon! ;^)