Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoctorNuriel

Restricting the classic monster roster to 3

If you could restrict the classic selection of monsters to a mere three types, for a mapper to craft a map, an episode or even a megaWAD around, which three would you pick and why, keeping in mind the way they work together or affect player behavior? What kind of gameplay would you ideally see emerge from an exclusive reliance on those three?

- Lost Souls will not count as an extra monster if one of your three picks is the Pain Elemental

- Pinkies and Spectres count as the same monster type

Interesting question, most probably I'll leave Pinkies and Specters because I like them and how they work as a meat shield for the other monsters in the battlefield and can trap the player if they're not to careful

I'm not sure what other monsters I'll pick probably a hitscanner and one other monsters maybe revenants but I'm not sure

Some mappers in the 3x3 project kinda already did that with only three monsters available to choose, you can participate on the new one if you're interested were not only the textures and flats are only three you could only use 3 monsters types also, it was interesting playing through this even if I haven't finished the wad

Edited by 1Destro3456

Revenants, Former Sergeants and Pain Elementals (since you have Lost Souls with them)

Uhm, Cacos because I love 'em, Arachnotrons cuz they usually make for interesting combat scenarios and Archviles for them being a great priority enemy and because they're basically the Doom 2 monster.

1 hour ago, 1Destro3456 said:

Some mappers in the 3x3 project kinda already did that

Heh, I was going to drop by with the mention of that project, but it looks as though I've been saved the trouble. I guess this'd be a shoutout of sorts, in which case, I thank you for it.

Revenants, Archviles and either Cacos or Barons.

If it's a matter of difficulty, I think that the hardest combo to fight is:
-Revenants in the front line, cornering you quickly
-Archies reviving and burning from behind
-Pain Elementals spawning annoying Lost Souls

So I'd keep those.

Episode 1 is the best episode and not counting e1m8 it only has four monsters by this ruleset - can we roll zombiemen and sergeants into one pick?

Revenants, for their broad utility, Archviles for flavour and Cacos for their ability to fly.

LA Worlds have made tons of maps focusing exclusively on the Archvile and Cyberdemon.

Revenant, Mancubus and Archvile. Three most versatile enemies imo.

Pain Elemental, Revenant and Mancubus. Why? Simple, pure chaos. I feel like everyone will take the Archvile as a pick so why not.

In all honesty though I could see a map with 3 enemies types being fun, but an entire WAD with that trick would get tedious I think. Variety is the spice of life after all.

Shotgunner, Imp and Pinkie - maps would have to be survival oriented where the only source of weapons/ammo are the seargants and no health/powerups was added.

a trio of imp, archvile and revenant would be lovely for berserking maps :3 they're so fun to punch, have small diameters so they can walk around windy cave maps and they tend to flinch when you hit them so the feedback's there, plus if an archvile gets loose and you find yrself retreating to get out of its line of sight then having the vile resurrect a lot of low hp monsters is what I prefer! I would spice up areas of the map with added Barons, though - they add a certain amount of attrition and close routes when yr fist only and without armor! as much as people complain "Door with health" etc, a Baron in a tight spot is one of the scariest monsters possible.

also if you get to a milestone in the level and grab a BFG, those three monsters feel great to cut down in swathes, and they pack in tight so the BFG lights up the screen like crazy.

imp is such a workhorse, I think every map I've ever made is majority imps and that's the way I like it. substitute shotgunner for the imp if the map's meant to be more arcadey, less grindy.

No, just 3 of them will be boring, especially if it's megawad.

Edit: maybe zombies, pigs and  one big Cyberdemon...

5 hours ago, _bruce_ said:

Shotgunner, Imp and Pinkie - maps would have to be survival oriented where the only source of weapons/ammo are the seargants and no health/powerups was added.

That sounds a hell a lot like E4M1: Hell Beneath.

My picks are demons, archviles and spider masterminds. Demons and archviles make deadly teams, and spider masterminds are funny.

Chaingunners are a lock. I would probably also go with imps (versatile) and cacos (can't do without a floating option).

Revenants and arch vile are tempting alternatives for their dynamism. I reckon a decent megawad could be made with just those 5.

12 hours ago, Chainie said:

Revenants, Arch-viles and chaingunners of course!

I like how you think. 

Imps are the most fun monster to fight in Doom so I'll keep them. Pinkies play well with imps and are crucial in delaying movement progress so as to cascade enemy encounters... and not deathly boring like barons or knights. Cacos fly and they're cute, so that's a good one, or potentially revenants instead because they open up map making. Revenants can also take the place of pinkies so it could be imps, revenants and cacos, or imps, revenants and chaingunners for more pushback. The complicator is what arsenal is available to the player, if there's a rocket launcher it's a different game, if there's only a minigun it's a different game, etc. With varied weapon options these monsters are enough for an infinite amount of variation, as long as the terrain is interesting.