Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoctorNuriel

Restricting the classic monster roster to 3

14 hours ago, purist said:

also go with imps (versatile)

Imps are weak. Hell Knights completely replace them, while you're equipped with the superior weapons.

Pinky/Spectres and Cacodemons both work really well in packs, and since your palette is restricted you’ll need pack enemies. 

Then either a Cyberdemon for a boss fight/ or Revenants for a sort of miniboss 

5 hours ago, printz said:

Imps are weak. Hell Knights completely replace them, while you're equipped with the superior weapons.

Imps are weak, but that is to their advantage in versatility. When equipping the player with superior weapons simply place more imps! That way you not only have the accumalative HP but also have more fireballs from multiple angles. Eight imps are more fun to fight than a single Hell Knight in most scenarios.

23 hours ago, printz said:

That sounds a hell a lot like E4M1: Hell Beneath.

My picks are demons, archviles and spider masterminds. Demons and archviles make deadly teams, and spider masterminds are funny.

Yes, spot on. I thought this was a great avenue of style to delve into while having limited "game related resources"(no extended monster roster).

Edited by _bruce_

I'd pick...

Imp - versatile, can use in close quarters, en masse, on easy or difficult levels if applied right

Revenant - perhaps the most versatile monster in Doom, this one is almost a no-brainer I think

Arch-Vile - because I'm a bit of a sadomasochist and also because fighting them is such a good time

13 hours ago, StupidBunny said:

Revenant - perhaps the most versatile monster in Doom, this one is almost a no-brainer I think

Its attack is too damaging to be fun.

Really depends on type of game you are going for and what sort of armaments you are giving player.

On low-tier weapons, I would pick imp, shotgunner and revenant. Easy fodder, hitscanner and tougher medium-durability enemy would suit well against more limited weaponsets. The gameplay obviously would suit more incidental combat. More vanilla-type. 

On high-tier weaponry, I would pick chaingunner, revenant, arch-vile. They can be used to create lot of interesting situations and while their usage is seen sometimes as meme, they are used so often because the service they provide in encounters. Chaingunner is a hitscanner that provides strong area-control. Revenant is a somewhat tricky projectile-based medium-durability demon and archvile is high threat with similar area-control abilities to chaingunner (except no hitscanning), plus being able to resurrect other slain demons. 

They suit more to gameplay with more powerful weapons etc., and can create more devious traps. 

Interesting question, personally I think you need three enemy types. Personally one and two need to be as good perched in a single spot as they are on the ground.

1) Hitscan monster

2) Ground level projectile demon.

3) An airborne monster that is not restricted by the architecture of the map.

So if I was going for most threat it would probably be.

1) Chaingunner

2) Revenant

3) Cacodemon

You can interchange the specific choices, but I think any three monster ensemble needs to be a mix of these three tropes.

I find 3 monsters to be almost too few, but I probably would select:

- Cacodemon - the iconic doom 1 monster, the most versatile flier and a "meaty" mid-tier

- Revenant - the iconic doom 2 monster, with two attack modes very difficult to replace

- Shotgunner or chaingunner - hitscan cannon fodder, but stronger as zombies and actually threatening. I think at least one hitscanner is necessary to achieve the variety in gameplay Doom offeres.

If I had 4 I would add the archvile - it is Doom2's most original monster but it's normally a kind of champion or miniboss monster and thus not that versatile like the others. The Pain Elemental has the same problem, it's "too unique" to fit in such a restricted scheme.

By the way, I really like the "supermonster" idea. I'm playing around with a bit similar concepts in my (still unreleased) maps - with very specific combinations of monsters, environment and Doom engine mechanics to create puzzley combat setpieces, but the supermonster would be the ultimate "condensation" of this concept.

Cacodemon, shotgunner and baron. Cacodemons will allow more vertical maps and shotgunners can add a stench to those areas. Barons can be infighting pillars or close quarter ambushers, or just delay a player from escaping somewhere while cacos and shotgunners close in. Sure it won't kill many people but I think it can be intense enough to keep people aware of their surrounding.

Imps, Hell knight, Cacodemon.

You'd need 1 weak enemy to fill the levels, then a sturdier fellow around those, and finally a flying tank chap to add variety and make level building much more involved. I thought about making the imp a shotgun guy, but with so few enemies allowed, I'd drop the human enemies and just make it a demon invasion.

edit: Hehe, I swear I didn't read the guy's post above me. Our thinking was so similair.

On 4/10/2021 at 8:38 AM, Gokuma said:

Arch-Vile, Cyberdemon, Spider Mastermind, with respawn frames added to all three.

Aw hell no

A little bit offtopic here, but I always felt the classic Doom 1 roster (zombieman, shotgunner, pinky/spectre, imp, lost soul, cacodemon, baron, cyberdemon) along with the chaingunner, hell knight and pain elemental form one class of roster, with spiders, arachnotrons, revenants, mancubi and archviles form another. The former feels like the army of evil spirit, the latter feels like the army of aliens.