Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Serum

Favorite Game From The Year You Were Born

On 4/12/2021 at 12:55 AM, BaileyTW said:

Resident Evil 4 was a bigger part of my childhood (maybe a parent should have uh...done something about that) but Resident Evil 2 was my first horror game I played. Never did get too far because I was a kid and also we didn't have a memory card. Honerable mention to Soul Caliber, my time with that one was short but loved that game, was my 2nd fighting game, first being Street Fighter 2 Turbo.

I still absolutely love Soul Calibur, haven't played it in a while, but after playing Soul Edge at an arcade for the first time I fell in love with the series. Especially Voldo, such a creepy fucker. Played the Hell out of Soul Calibur 1 on my Dreamcast, and 2 on my Gamecube. 

And maybe I just loved it because it's one of the few fighting games I could beat my older brother at. He routinely whipped my ass at Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat, although in Mortal Kombat we were a bit more evenly matched. But I also always loved the flow of combat, the character design, and the overall visual presentation of Soul Calibur; in fact just last night I was thinking I should dig out my Gamecube and play it again. Now I pretty much have to.

On 4/7/2021 at 2:50 AM, Serum said:

Favorite Game From The Year You Were Born

Soccer (Football).

From what I hear, it's still pretty popular.

Assuming this means graphical video games - none: they didn't exist :) Neither did Windows, Dos or even Unix! (There was apparently a text mode baseball simulation game written that year in BASIC for Multics but even Rogue, kinda like Doom in plain text, didn't exist back then)

Excluding Doom, Probably Morrowind. Ignore that I thought it said before you were born.

From 2005, I guess Mario Kart DS. I played quite a bit when I was way younger (and sucked at video games.)

Edited by SirSteve : Disregard the first part I'm illeterate.

1 hour ago, SirSteve said:

Excluding Doom, Probably Morrowind.

Yes I'm a zoomer, how could you tell?

How were you born in 1993 and 2002? Were you born again? Are you a demon or an angel?

And yeah, despite it's flaws, Morrowind was a really good game.

I guess Space Harrier, it was released 1985 for arcade, but the DOS version was released in 1989. I've only played the DOS version, which has a rather choppy framerate. Not much other games from 1985 that I recognize at all.

Hard to pick a favorite since I haven't extensively played much from 1988. Have to go with SMB 3 because I played that quite a bit when my friend busted it out in college...

On 4/18/2021 at 6:07 AM, Martin Howe said:

Rogue, kinda like Doom in plain text

Admit it, you planted this here just to get a reaction right? Aside from the fact that you're attacking monsters, Rogue has almost nothing in common with Doom...

Thanks to Wikipedia for such Lists, i choose:

- Super Mario Bros 3

- Tetris

Have seen other great Games, but without enough playtime with them i choose the ones above.

Hm are there certain Characteristics if you are born in the Year of Doom etc.?

You know, like Star Signs :P

Playing around with that in Mind:

The Game of the Year could name the Year and than the Release Month of a Game is your Sign.

Well, my favorite game ever besides Doom was technically first released in 1989, that being Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse. However, it didn't come out to the west until a year later, so for games that were released in North America around then... it was the year of Mega Man 2, arguably the most important entry in my OTHER favorite gaming series besides Castlevania and Doom, so I'll go with that. And an honorable mention to Blazing Lazers for the TG16, one of the best shoot-em-ups ever made.

IMG_20210419_152917.jpg.30751dcaed309411a551766f201a9827.jpg

Ninja Gaiden from 2004

And, if you wonder, I still have the classic Xbox where I played Ninja Gaiden, sadly It doesn't work, but I'm thinking of repairing it.

Edited by Lol 6

1358-wolfenstein-3d-dos-screenshot-title

Can't believe I'm the only one with this answer so far! My first time "playing" this, I was 1 year old.. my uncle who was on the technological forefront back then brought it with him on a visit to the US. One of my earliest memories is being huddled around that laptop with my dad, brother and uncle.. Wolf3D was the beginning of my life being eternally DOOMed!

1 hour ago, Doomkid said:

Can't believe I'm the only one with this answer so far! My first time "playing" this, I was 1 year old.. my uncle who was on the technological forefront back then brought it with him on a visit to the US. One of my earliest memories is being huddled around that laptop with my dad, brother and uncle.. Wolf3D was the beginning of my life being eternally DOOMed!

I was seven or eight years old the first time I played Wolfenstein and Doom when I was at a sleepover at a friends house. I was playing Wolfenstein, and his older brother, who was a complete dick, told me to fire all the bullets from my pistol so I could get the knife. The knife was way better. Of course I didn't know you could just press "1" to switch to it, and who was I to argue? So I did it, killed a couple of guards, and then died.

They also had the shareware version of Doom, and that was a completely different experience. It was so much better than Wolfenstein, and far scarier. I still remember that room, that computer in his older brothers bedroom, sitting around watching it, and finally getting a chance to play it in E1M5; it scared the shit out of me. I know I've told the tale of the Sergeant getting gibbed by a Pinkie before (which I do believe was just a barrel exploding while they were infighting). Still, for a kid who had never seen anything like that, it made quite an impression. So I convinced my Mom to get the shareware version, and I still remember the swastika in E1M4. I'm pretty sure it was version 1.2. When I finally got Ultimate Doom I was really confused because I was looking for the swastika room. I almost thought I had imagined it, until years later, thanks to the internet, I found out that it did exist, but was patched out.

Although I ended up getting Doom 2 before Ultimate Doom, since you had to mail order Doom. I still remember scouring the shelves at WalMart, Kmart, and Target looking for a copy of Doom every time we went to one of them. Never knowing that it was a mail-order thing. But I got Ultimate Doom on my 10th birthday, and I was happy.

Edited by Jello

Papa's Pizzeria, we all enjoyed it. 

Edited by MurrayTC : Hiding info

Anyone says anything about my age, anything at all, I swear...

817419-atari___pong_1973.jpg

This was the first game I've ever played and this got me into the Gaming community

1319576383_.png.2c9775fa3be48de6bf329d167bc944f3.png

I never beated it, so my childhood remains incomplete
I was born in 2005 so 2004 and 2005 are close years, right?

On 4/20/2021 at 3:31 AM, Doomkid said:

Damn, I should have played Wolfenstein 3D before Doom 1 mhm

I always forget how young I am compared to others on the forum. I actually have a tie for my post. 

image.png.c0bc0b3ac9a8872e2fa3e938b9bd2dba.png

image.png.3323c23cd1473610602cab46086d7e24.png