Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sparktimus

1995 Tune Up Project - Limit-Removing Community Project [SLOTS ARE OPEN!]

Being almost 10 years old now, 1994tu has been on my mind ever since this year rolled around. I'm glad to see it's not been forgotten, and that its spirit lives on! :D

Edited by Snarboo : grammar

This is sweet. The 1994T-uCP is among my favorites and usually play it yearly. Once, I decided to replace the remade maps with the originals in a separate wad just for fun.

Looking forward to this.

My currently insomnia-stricken mind is telling me that this is a very cool idea and that I'd be interested in having a crack at it. I'll have a look through your compiled list of author-cleared WADs later and see what takes my fancy. 

Edit: just for clarity as I'm a little unsure (and strung out) right now, but is the goal to modify/expand an existing map rather than remake it from the ground up in an expanded style, or is either okay? Just that I prefer the idea of modifying an existing WAD in this case. 

Edited by VisionThing

25 minutes ago, VisionThing said:

My currently insomnia-stricken mind is telling me that this is a very cool idea and that I'd be interested in having a crack at it. I'll have a look through your compiled list of author-cleared WADs later and see what takes my fancy. 

Edit: just for clarity as I'm a little unsure (and strung out) right now, but is the goal to modify/expand an existing map rather than remake it from the ground up in an expanded style, or is either okay? Just that I prefer the idea of modifying an existing WAD in this case. 

That's a good point. I would honestly prefer that you remake it from scratch and use the original map as a reference since that's what I'm doing and I feel a bit dirty going into someone's own wad and changing it myself.

Thank you for bringing that up, though! I'll add an addendum to the main post.

ooh!! i'm really interested in having a slot. do i need to give any of my work as a sort of resume?

28 minutes ago, Sparktimus said:

That's a good point. I would honestly prefer that you remake it from scratch and use the original map as a reference since that's what I'm doing and I feel a bit dirty going into someone's own wad and changing it myself.

Thank you for bringing that up, though! I'll add an addendum to the main post.

Fair enough, and I can totally respect the idea of not tinkering with someone else's work. I guess I misread as a kind of retroactive collaboration between the original author and someone new.  I'm gonna tentatively say I'm still keen as it looks like you've given a pretty generous timeline here. I'll take a slot if you'll have me! 

4 hours ago, sincity2100 said:

Can I have a slot?

4 hours ago, VisionThing said:

Fair enough, and I can totally respect the idea of not tinkering with someone else's work. I guess I misread as a kind of retroactive collaboration between the original author and someone new.  I'm gonna tentatively say I'm still keen as it looks like you've given a pretty generous timeline here. I'll take a slot if you'll have me! 

Sure! Before I can add you, though, I need you to select a map you'd like to revamp before I put you up on the board.

Edited by Sparktimus

PSA: I'm going to go ahead and raise the mapslots back up to the full 32 since more people than I thought happen to be interested in this and I don't wanna bottleneck my own project :P

I am sincerely honored by the turn-out. Thank y'all so much!

On 4/9/2021 at 12:05 PM, Sparktimus said:

PSA: I'm going to go ahead and raise the mapslots back up to the full 32 since more people than I thought happen to be interested in this and I don't wanna bottleneck my own project :P

I am sincerely honored by the turn-out. Thank y'all so much!

yay <3

does this mean the maximum maps per mapper is also raised?

Holy kitty litter, Batman, I was only wondering yesterday if the 1994 TU project had a sequel.

I'm confused though. From your post, it seems like we are tuning up maps, then you seem to say we will be rebuilding them from scratch?

11 minutes ago, MajorRawne said:

Holy kitty litter, Batman, I was only wondering yesterday if the 1994 TU project had a sequel.

I'm confused though. From your post, it seems like we are tuning up maps, then you seem to say we will be rebuilding them from scratch?

yeah, the title is a bit of a misnomer. this time around it's not gonna be about modifying existing maps, it's instead creating faithful remakes that are more up to modern standards. it requires more effort, but at the same time it offers much more flexibility than simply editing preexisting levels

On 4/11/2021 at 12:21 PM, roadworx said:

yay <3

does this mean the maximum maps per mapper is also raised?

I still think around three or four maps per person is fair enough. Not counting potential collab maps, which I'm still trying to suss out myself, heh.

On 4/11/2021 at 6:20 PM, MajorRawne said:

Echoing Roadworx explanation here. The idea is to use the original map as a point of reference and build a map from scratch while citing themes, architecture, and encounters from the original while adding your own unique spin to it. I just feel like modifying the original map itself takes a bit away from each individual mapper's own creativity, which all due respect to the 1994TU of course. The reason it's simply called "1995 Tune Up Project" is more or less just to designate it as the successor to the original project.

Edited by Sparktimus

I might be interested in this, however I am not well versed on early Doom maps aside from ones that were in the old top 100/10 Years of Doom.  Might be easier for me if I was assigned a map to update.

Expressing my interest to join, but since I'm currently on my phone, I can't currently look at the available maps. Will be on my PC in the coming hours to decide. Cheers.

37 minutes ago, TheV1perK1ller said:

Expressing my interest to join, but since I'm currently on my phone, I can't currently look at the available maps. Will be on my PC in the coming hours to decide. Cheers.

Glad to have ya! Join the Discord if you can and check out #wad-candidates to help you get started if need be.

Sure, but the author stated in the readme to DON'T use his map for modifications or other stuff...

If you're making a new map from scratch inspired by a previous work, you're not modifying a previous work -- you're making a new map from scratch. Original author's permission doesn't seem like it really has room to apply here.

3 hours ago, Gez said:

If you're making a new map from scratch inspired by a previous work, you're not modifying a previous work -- you're making a new map from scratch. Original author's permission doesn't seem like it really has room to apply here.

I've given that line of thought a lot of consideration, but personally, I just feel like it would be a lot safer to simply find maps where the author does give explicit permission to modify or redistribute their maps freely to avoid any sort of doubt or semantics, even if it's being rebuilt from scratch. Especially since the maps themselves are being directly cited. I want to be as careful as I can to not step on any toes.

Hey guys, posting a quick update with some very good news.

I am pleased to announce that I have integrated a very useful tool that should help the creation and maintenance of this project a hell of a lot easier and more intuitive. With the help of @DavidN, the 1995 Tune Up Project will now be powered by his in-development webapp known as Rampart!

And here's a link to 1995 Tune Up's Rampart page:

https://1995tuneup.teamouse.net/

For those of you who aren't familiar or just want the tl;dr, Rampart is a WIP web application created by David himself to make the process of screening maps and editing aspects of this project much less of a hassle. This tool was created specifically for his RAMP Community Project that was finished just a month or so ago and is very much worth checking out. But I digress; here's how this works.

Every contributor is assigned a PIN for whichever maps they are working on which they can use to access their WIP map from the site itself and make the necessary changes and update which can then be submitted to the working pwad directly on the site. These PINs are managed by me and are personalized for each map. This should make integrating these maps and changes into the wad a piece of cake. Just go to the link and click on the "Upload A Map" tab and then "Put a Map in an existing slot" and give it your PIN for your map when prompted. Once you've made your changes, simply submit the changes and they will be updated on-site. It's that easy!

If you'd like to learn more about Rampart itself, you can get in-touch with David either on here or on Discord and I'm sure he will be glad to assist you like has me. I am eternally grateful to him for making such an awesome and easy to use utility. I very much hope that this gets used more because trying to keep up with one or two forum threads at a time for every tiny little change is doing my head in, heh.

If you are a contributor, please get in touch with me either on here or Discord to get the PIN for whichever map(s) you're working on.

As an added bonus, here are a few WIP screenshots of my work on K9.wad:crispy-doom_4cYH8dcwAT.png.5507c5e3af06454a03006ae00a1e2717.pngcrispy-doom_5WpkgnLVDv.png.de9e284a7fed634cc4aadb92837bf546.pngcrispy-doom_wyIijJxdfo.png.97651f65e2955875d68d9d158587318d.png

Thank you for your time and once again thank you David for making such a quality-of-life improvement to managing community projects! If I missed anything I needed to touch up on just let me know, I haven't gotten much sleep at all today :P

Edited by Sparktimus

20 hours ago, DJVCardMaster said:

Interesting, I loved 1994 TU when I was younger, I'd like to remake a map for this project.

Glad to have you aboard!

Also I would just like to quickly clarify something I'm going to add to the rules here after this post:

If you find a wad you wish to remake, but it doesn't include a text file to go along with it or it doesn't mention any explicit permissions within its text file, it's safer to try and find another wad. That is to say, if there is nothing in the author's comments or text file that allows or disallows modifying or using their map as a base. I'm trying to be very careful to not step on any toes and holistically respect the author's wishes.

1 hour ago, Theperson said:

Found this on the zdoom forums.

I can try and find a map to recreate and join this.

I hope it isnt dead!

It's not, I've finished an alpha of my map some days ago, you can join no problem. Also, I'd suggest you to join discord, there are several submissions (candidates) that are approved to be tuned up.