Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
elbryan42

Question for those who have 32x Doom

Just picked it up, and I'm recording the music right off the bat. :P

My question is, is there any point in the game that the Intermission Music plays for more than 5 seconds? Or a way to keep the stats screen up instead of going straight to the next level? Besides that one track, I have all of the tracks ripped already, even the credits (bunny) music!

Any help would be appreciated. I'd love to get the tracks up tonight or tomorrow for Christmas.

Um, yeah I know there are. There are 9 level tracks, that repeat. There's also a credits track and an intermission track. The intermission track is what I need to figure out how to get.

Well, at any rate, the tracks are all online now, except for, of course, the intermission track. If I can rip it in the future I'll put it up.

hmm..can you find a way to lock the game while its in the intermission screen? I done that once with a game to hear the rest of a music that was always cut off. I did it by simply opening the cd case...

uh..err...isn't 32x cd based?

No, the 32X uses cartridges like the Genesis. You could try pulling
the cart out, but it seems to me that that would cause the currently
playing note to sustain
(dun dun dun *pull out cart* duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu)
rather than keep playing. You could try looking for a ROM of the game,
and maybe one of the few 32X emulators will be able to help, though
I'm not posting any links.

The rom can be used to dump the music tracks (or be recorded on the fly). IF I were going to rip music tracks for Genesis or 32x games, I'd just use one of my favorite emulators (Gens) to do the job.

For Snes, I use Super Jukebox, which is a program that plays music dumps from Snes roms. Can sound even better than the original with some tweaking.

I remember beating this game and seeing the c:\> prompt after the credits. No shittin'! anyone see this before? I hope I'm not insane.

Unless you play straight through, starting at level 1, with no cheats, it'll skip the last level, Fortress of Mystery, and you'll get the c:\doom> instead of the ending.

Fortress of Mystery is the last level (and I use that term loosely for that level)?! That's a crime against humanity!

Doom 32X was terrible (and short).

BTW, sorry about mentioning Gens for 32x. You do need a different emulator for that, but the idea is the same.

Try Retrodrive, for 32x emulation. I can make the emu and the rom available to you if you contact me elsewhere.

Also, 32x Doom is actually probably my second favorite version of Doom behind the PC version. I haven't played the GBA Dooms yet, though.

Katarhyne said:

Also, 32x Doom is actually probably my second favorite version of Doom behind the PC version. I haven't played the GBA Dooms yet, though.

You're kidding, right? The PSX Dooms (and Doom64) are far better than the 32X Doom IMO. I played through it and said "That's it??" and felt money was better spent elsewhere. To each their own I guess.

BTW, didn't know Gens plays 32X games. Must have been a somewhat recent feature as I have not played Gens in a long while.

Hmm... to rip the music straight from the rom, I would need a utility (since it still only plays for a few seconds on the ROM). Know of any good ones?

And the 32x version, I find pretty weak, especially since the controls feel crippled without strafing and turning at the same time. The music is definitely a step backward, as is the enemies that only have the front profile. Not to mention the lack of levels. Next to 3D0, my least favorite Doom. It's still good, but the game feels broken somehow...

BTW, I stumbled upon a site with the Jaguar music. Expect them on the Depot soon...

Elbryan has been sent the download link for the full mp3 version. This should wrap up this problem. Let me know if anything (rom-wise) comes up that you need help on.

ive never gotten gens to work with my 32x roms, i usually have to use retrodrive5

Nope, I'm not kidding. I liked 32X Doom because it wasn't Doom. I'd already played Doom, why would I want to play it again?

Well, sure it had the same weapons, monsters, levels, etc. Or did it?

All of the weapons functioned similarly except that for whatever reason the weapons' rates of fire were linked to the framerate, so that most of the time the weapons actually fire faster than their PC counterparts. And then there's the fact that the BFG isn't even in the game; you have to cheat to get it.

The monsters are the same except that their AI is a bit different; it seems as if the monsters in the 32X version take more opportunities to attack than the denizens of the PC version. And, a monster I always thought was horribly redundant and worthless was missing, the spectre. It's not like he's actually harder to see than the demon. Bastard Doom makes the spectre totally invisible. ^.^

And the levels are dramatically different - mostly for space considerations, but I really like the way most of them ended up, both as far as texturing and also in terms of design. A lot of extraneous crap was removed, and the texturing changes, though they occasionally make the levels more bland, generally don't reduce (and in some cases, improve) the atmosphere of the levels.

I always thought E2M9 was much harder than E2M8, and I think it makes a much better last level.