Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tarnsman

[Mapping Contest] 10 Years of Doom - Winners Announced

I'll already started building something. Lets see if I can finish it in time.

On 4/8/2021 at 10:59 PM, Tarnsman said:

eOrbTCB.png

1st Place - $1,000.00 USD
2nd Place - $250.00 USD
3rd Place - $250.00 USD

Clearly, Tarnsman is obscenely wealthy. Good for him/her!

Hey there, here my attempt. I should have spent more time, but "less is more" right?

Feedback is welcome, there is still time for some tweaking.

Have fun finding Alfonzo´s secret stashes, filled with cash and other goodies!

Name: Alfonzos Secret Stash

Map Format: Doom in Hexet format
Ports Tested: GZDoom
Build Time: 35 - 40 hours approx

Credits:
Textures - DoomII Stock Textures
Custom Sky - Box O Skies by Mechadon
Music - Embrace your Hate by James Paddock

Requirements:
Jumping & crouching - Disabled
Freelook - Optional  

Screenies:

https://imgur.com/a/Ftev9Xj

Download:
https://mega.nz/file/h4xywbxb#PFtd-h3B6_nTQj_ZOY1Zg42BfCYm5q5l7AZA0Fk99xY

3 hours ago, Soulless said:

Hey there, here my attempt. I should have spent more time, but "less is more" right?

Feedback is welcome, there is still time for some tweaking.

Have fun finding Alfonzo´s secret stashes, filled with cash and other goodies!

Name: Alfonzos Secret Stash

Map Format: Doom in Hexet format
Ports Tested: GZDoom
Build Time: 35 - 40 hours approx

Credits:
Textures - DoomII Stock Textures
Custom Sky - Box O Skies by Mechadon
Music - Embrace your Hate by James Paddock

Requirements:
Jumping & crouching - Disabled
Freelook - Optional  

Screenies:

https://imgur.com/a/Ftev9Xj

Download:
https://mega.nz/file/h4xywbxb#PFtd-h3B6_nTQj_ZOY1Zg42BfCYm5q5l7AZA0Fk99xY

Great map I had a lot of fun!

In the worst scenario you can leave those textures as they are. Could be Alfonzo in virtual reality :D.

Looking good StormCatcher. Don't fret about making the map too big if you're worried about finishing in time.

One week remaining until the deadline.

I've seen some cool WIP stuff people have said they don't know if they're going to finish in time. Remember don't fret about making something too big. It's about the joy of making map.

I've been gathering resources for quite some time and am just now putting stuff together in the editor. It may be a close call but if I knuckle down I'm pretty sure I'll have everything ready by the deadline.

Well I might as well submit now. 

Name: Alfonzo gaslights the Spirit World

Map Format: Limit Removing (cl2)
Ports Tested: prboom-plus 2.1.5.7
Build Time: Roughly 15-20 (Hard to tell as this was over several short sessions).
Credits: Music by Robert Prince (Getting too tense from Doom 2), only stock textures used.
External PWADs: None
Requirements: None

Download

tarnsmancb.zip

I don't quite know why I went for this, it is a little homagey in places (I don't think it is hard to spot). Difficulty will be pretty high and certainly more unforgiving than the effort I made for Jimmy.

ME3Tszz.png

Can't guarantee finishing it on time because of the schedule I have, but here's a thing nonetheless.

I am forced to withdraw from the race, since I have not made progress over the past time and I still will not be in time. IRL stuff took too much time again. Hell, this is the second cool project (no, 3rd) that I leave out this year ...  and +1 unfinished map in stock ... Anyway, good luck to everyone!

1 hour ago, StormCatcher.77 said:

Hell, this is the second cool project (no, 3rd) that I leave out this year ...  and +1 unfinished map in stock ...

Try not to be too disheartened, Storm. You can still complete and release the map in your own time. I know I wouldn't be the only one excited to see a new release from you.

Going to submit what I've done just so I can stop worrying about it and work on everything else that I've been putting off the last couple weeks. Apologies for the relatively large filesize, I couldn't figure out a simple way of just including the textures I needed from OTEX so I ended up including almost everything.

Name: Alfonzo Does Shrooms and Contemplates the Nature of Soft Drink

Map Format: UDMF
Ports Tested: Eternity (Required due to portals. I mainly tested on a devbuild, but there's no reason it wouldn't work on the official 4.02 release)
Build Time: Maybe 30-40 hours? I lost count, but probably not more than that
Credits: Textures from OTEX, and various decorations from various places that I've been gradually compiling for a while, see 'credits' lump in the wad for details
Music: 'Whirlwind', original midi by me
External PWADs: :^)
Requirements: No jumping or you'll escape the map, and freelook is highly recommended or you'll have a bad time.
Download

There may be some occasional FPS drops on older computers due to the amount of portals, especially when trying to view most of the map at once. I've got a pretty decent PC so I can't test for this. If it's badly affecting you, try a smaller resolution just for that section.

There will be some occasional visual glitches with monsters/sprites only half-appearing when they're on an edge portal, which there are a lot of. This is not an easy thing to fix, from what I've heard, so just try and ignore it.
I haven't prevented the player from just jumping off at the end of the map, but there's no particular reason for you to do so, you won't access any special secret areas.

Screenshot:

Spoiler

etrn40.png.78004cbbe860dabff101287836c1ca50.png

Edit: Reuploaded to fix minor portal bug and a couple texture alignments

Edited by stewboy

Looks interesting, almost like a level for 3D platformer. Does the map have any power stars to collect? :)

9 hours ago, StormCatcher.77 said:

I am forced to withdraw from the race, since I have not made progress over the past time and I still will not be in time. IRL stuff took too much time again. Hell, this is the second cool project (no, 3rd) that I leave out this year ...  and +1 unfinished map in stock ... Anyway, good luck to everyone!

But the map looked so interesting, if you could finish it on your own time I would love to see it

Finally finished my map.

Spoiler

S8YGRDQ.png

4pteCT9.png

Name: Alfonzo Becomes a Simp for the Hololive English Girls

Map Format: Boom
Ports Tested: DSDA-Doom and GZDoom
Build Time: A few days (I don't know the exact number of hours nor did I bother to keep track)
Credits: Jimmytex and the Hololive English girls
Requirements: No jumping or crouching

I'm in a process of cleaning my WAD file of unused textures (I'm using OTEX textures) and I have to say, it's a nightmare. OTEX has a lot of animated textures and SLADE doesn't support ANIMATED lump so it removes all frames of an animation except the first. So I have found out about an utility called Wcleaner. Unfortunately, it doesn't work also, keeps removing all of my textures even though they are used in the map. One would have thought that after so many years such a problem would have been addressed but it was not. It's really a pain.

Name: Alfonzo's Trials of Heroism

Map Format: Boom (because of OTEX animations, otherwise just limit-removing)
Ports Tested: Crispy Doom 5.9.2
Build Time: Probably around 50, maybe 60 hours (hard to tell)
Credits: OTEX textures
Requirements: No jumping/No crouching

Well, here's my take. This time around I have tried to make something different and split the map into four indenpendent parts/sub-levels which can be played in any order to finish the level and you have only fist, pistol and super-shotgun at your disposal. Be warned, ultra-violence can be a little challenging at times but nothing brutal. Still, I think it's the best way to enjoy the map. This is the first time I've been working with OTEX texture pack and I must say I really like it. Nice variety and quality. The map itself can be finished in around 20 minutes. Have fun!

EDIT: The link has been updated with a new version of the level as there was a game breaking bug present. Thanks @stewboy for noticing!

EDIT2: Link updated again with some bugs fixed. This is the final version.

alfonzos_trials.zip

Spoiler

DOOM0000.jpg.916f05790d62a4121a2c5871fcba44e3.jpg

DOOM0001.jpg.ae130f4132a2763dbec262e73d37461d.jpg

DOOM0002.jpg.b53aa405c0d3046e4852f2f4fc9be48e.jpg

DOOM0003.jpg.b2d9065782fab9c87265f1b501422d80.jpg

Edited by Paar

Since I've been asked a couple of times.

The deadline is the end of the day (11:59:59 PM PST) on May 3rd.

image.png.ba2e04f12e3312348340e21b97e1e4aa.png

(take a couple hours)

Edited by Altazimuth

Nice, thanks for the deadline clarity, I thought I'd be cutting it super fine. I've basically just gotta add monsters and make a few tweaks to the

Spoiler

cutscenes

and we're all good!

Name: Alfonzo Settles Down and Opens a Nigerian Pretzelry after Winning the Grand Prize at the World Ballet Competition
Ports Tested: PrBoom+ 2.5.1.4, Zdoom 2.8.1
Build Time: I didn't keep track, but I know it wasn't a whole lot...let's say 13
Credits: The Casalis for the textures, Bobby Prince for the level music ("The Healer Stalks")
Requirements: No jumping or crouching

Despite appearances, this is played in Doom II.

Screenshot!

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20210503_121223.png?widt

wheej

Here's my submission, it uses aa-tex, UV-only, no difficulties were implemented

Name: Alfonzo get's caught sneaking out of work to build a map for a contest and is fired as a result

Ports Tested: DSDA-Doom and GZDoom
Build Time: An aproximate of 35 hours spawning a single week 
Credits: Everyone involved in AA-Tex (extensive list so i'll put it bellow in spoilers), Alfonzo for the midi i used (Aerial Tombs)
Requirements: Jumping or crouching not allowed

Screenshots

Spoiler

Wo6iVjt.png

H6Bnwjb.png

X4LLymb.png

aa-tex credits

Spoiler

NiGHTMARE, Espi, Eriance, Fredrik Johansson, Janitor, DaGGeR, Ola Bjorling, Vader, XDelusion, esselfortium, RottKing, Nuxius, Afterglow, AgentSpork, Enjay, Huy Pham, SargeBaldy, Tormentor667, Iikka Keranen, Cage, FuzzballFox, 40oz, Mechadon, zrrion the insect, Nightfall, Blue Shadow, Sock, Roger Ritenour, Tarnsman, lupinx-Kassman, skillsaw, GothicDM Team, Eternal Doom Team, id Software, Ion Storm, Raven Software, Rogue Entertainment, Valve Software