Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tarnsman

[Mapping Contest] 10 Years of Doom - Winners Announced

21 minutes ago, SLOTH MARINE (CB) said:

my map.

CB'S HELLHOLE

CB'S HELLHOLE.zip

Build time was 9 days and it contains lots of custom sprites and is kinda hard and is Boom compatible 

The map name must include Alfonzo. See other examples in the thread.

Name: Alfonzo Attempts To Relax From His Adventures And Temporarily Ceases To Exist, Reappearing Moments Later To Find His Home Demolished As It Was Seized Through Eminent Domain To Make Way For a Denny's, Which He Conveniently Forgot About
Map Format: Eternity UDMF
Ports Tested: Eternity 4.02
Build Time: Some unknown amount of hours over the course of a week and a half
Credits: Uses OTEX 1.1 by Ukiro and "Hall of Faces" by Jimmy from the Harmony MIDI Pack
Requirements: No jumping or crouching. Tested without freelook but you can use it if you really want to.

Edit: Did automap cleanup, fixed tagged secrets, replaced the inter-levelname with a levelpic, and updated the mapinfo

Edited by ElementalHaven : map bugfixes and mapinfo update

Alfonzo time is now over.

I will begin playing the maps tonight.

@Tarnsman Hi. I just watched your recent stream of the maps and am saddened by the fact that you had to play glitched version that I have initially uploaded but fixed relatively quickly after. Is there a possibility that you have downloaded it before I updated the link? It fixed the problem with red platforms raising too high. And the missing switch texture was indeed because of Slade removing all ANIMATED textures from the wad. I had to create dummy sectors with all the animated textures and flats and unfortunately missed that one.

It was a nice playthrough however, enjoyed watching it. Hope you enjoyed it as well. Thanks.

Thanks for letting me know. I will download the updated version for when I replay it. I will be playing all the maps multiple times.

Is bugfixing of submitted map allowed though? I would like to have it confirmed as I would like to fix two bugs in my map as well but to me, it seemed... I don't know, unfair? You know, polishing the map well after the deadline. Just my thoughts.

Oh I did ask Tarns beforehand. He allowed it (for me, anyway - best to let him confirm one way or the other himself).

I'm mainly updating just so anyone else who wants to play my map gets a bug-free experience. Tarns didn't run into any aside from a slightly broken cutscene, which considering some of the whoppers I left in, was very fortunate. :P

I am judging by what was completed at the end of submissions. If you want to bug fix for other people playing it, that is fine.

Can I just say, I clearly made a map to be a cheeky joke, but it was fun to open Doom Builder after almost a decade of inactivity and relearn how to map. Making my map was the most bizarre arthouse thing I have ever done; every element of the map revolves around trying to generate different sounds and a layout built around the notion that the player will never see anything. I had absolutely no idea what to expect watching someone play a map blind, but when Tarns successfully completed the first of 3 blind arenas using a hand-sketched map that looked similar to the actual map, I felt like I had accomplished the goal I set out to do. Now, normally I love watching Tarnsman lose his shit and shout profanities on his stream, but when he struggled with the 2nd arena, I felt like I had failed the experiment because what I thought would make sense was apparently too confusing--this despite the fact that playtesting had seemed to indicate the final two arenas were easier to navigate than the first.

Watching the final stream revealed a lot of quirks that could be implemented to avoid frustrations in a 1.1 release... but I don't really think this concept has much life in it beyond the initial concept.

I have admired Tarnsman's dedication during playthrough of your map, I must admit I wouldn't be so patient :D. Reminded me of old PC dungeon crawlers a little, due of the necessity of map drawing.

Congrats to everybody! The screenshots posted over the last month showed tons of dedication and talent. Especially satisfying to see Breezeep's name on the winners list, at 1st place even! Dude has been a master mapper for nearly a decade without much fanfare compared to some other cool mappers, so it's great to see some major recognition at last. 

Thanks to Tarns for the contest as well. You are a legend and a half dude, and it's awesome to see so many cool maps made for the contest.

Edit: btw, are we going to get a zip of all submitted maps, similar to Jimmy's contest? Some levels here seemed to be submitted through DMs

Edited by Catpho : werid errors

Thanks for the contest. Even though I haven't won anything it was a nice and fun experience. Congratulations to all winners.

Well done everyone! Great fun. Shoutouts to Tarns's two adoptive sons AD and Breezeep who deserve their win. :D

1 hour ago, Catpho said:

are we going to get a zip of  all submitted maps, similar to Jimmy's contest? Some levels here seemed to be submitted through DMs

That would be great. It will be rewarding to have one of my maps among these monsters!

Congrats to everyone participating, to the winners of course, and to @Tarnsman for the contest!

Congratulations to all the winners, especially breezeep haha. Dude, you should be more confident with your work, you make great stuff. Keep at it ^^

16 minutes ago, Yugiboy85 said:

Congratulations to all the winners, especially breezeep haha. Dude, you should be more confident with your work, you make great stuff. Keep at it ^^

What wait, she/he isn't confident? Amazing map. 

Thanks for the contest! Really cool, inspiring and fun stuff.