Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Disorder

Headphoneparanoia

Everytime I put my headphones on I become suspicious of noises. When I hear a sound, and I'm not sure whether the sound is from a game I'm playing or the music I'm listening to, I take my headphones off as soon as possible.

This paranoia-effect is extremely increased during the times I play Doom III's alpha. Which is too bad, because the surrouding sounds are simply amazing. Headphones freak me out.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the Doom 3 alpha sounds 11KHz WAV files? Seems that it would be almost impossible to mistake a game sound for a real sound at that sample.

Probably true, yet my mind makes it turn into something similar from my environment.
It's actually not the game, it's just me.

Disorder said:

When I hear a sound, and I'm not sure whether the sound is from a game I'm playing or the music I'm listening to

I get that. Yet I still prefer headphones, cos it's more immersive.

I get that with music. One time I fell asleep listening to offsprings americana cd and there's this gap at the end of pay the man, about 2 minutes. I fell asleep at that part and then BAM the next part of the song comes on full blast, with my headphones on, i jumped up and screamed. Wasn't cool...

The first time I used headphones on a game since Doom, was Return To Castle Wolfenstein, and it damn near gave me a heart attack!! It was in the lab when all the Lopers got loose. I rounded a corner ever so slowly, already on edge because of the enhanced immersiveness of the headphones, then..CRASH!!!! A scientist crashed into the window directly ahead of me, head first. I almost broke my keyboard slamming blindly for the esc key to pause it. All in good fun though. I like it when a game can scare me like that, which is why I enjoy Resident Evil 2 so much as well.

AndrewB said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the Doom 3 alpha sounds 11KHz WAV files? Seems that it would be almost impossible to mistake a game sound for a real sound at that sample.

I think they are wav, but not that low. 44khz, 16 bit.

I've gotten really paranoid while playing Aliens vs. Predator using headphones, but I like feeling that way so I kept doing it. Did the same thing with Silent Hill the first time I played it, but that was too much for me to handle and I took the headphones off.

Spoiler

The hardest part in Doom III's alpha is when you hear the whispers in the beginning when the boxes come mysteriously falling out of the shelves. That is just damn scary.

I think everyone get's that, some more than others, I only find it a problem when I'm in an altered state of mind. Then it just tends to piss me right the fuck off. =P

There's an idea for the future: drugs/nanomachines that pick up signals from your sound card and stimulate your eardrums (or even your aural centers) directly. No more headphones! No more wires! Make people look at you funny when you react to sounds they can't hear!

/me slides over to Dumpshock with this idea...

There was one song I used to listen to on headphones once, can't remember what it was, but at the same stage in it each time I thought I coudl hear my mum calling, but she never was. Must just be some familiar sound pattern in there...

pritch said:

There was one song I used to listen to on headphones once, can't remember what it was, but at the same stage in it each time I thought I coudl hear my mum calling, but she never was. Must just be some familiar sound pattern in there...

I get something like that from some Kottonmouth Kings song, except it alweys seems to me instead of my mom simply calling for me she is screaming at the top of her lungs like she's about to die. It's really annoying, and I can't ever get used to it.

But even that isn't the freaky thing, the freaky thing is I some times get that when I don't have any head phones on and there isn't any music playing. It might be a mild form of schitzophrenia or whatever, a friend of mine has it.

Hearing sounds that aren't there? On more than once occasion, surrounded by these computers, I swear I can hear people talking or the tv turned on in the next room.
One time i thought i heard an entire Star Trek: the next generation episode while i was working, commecrials and everything. Open the door to get some water...room's fucking empty. Happens with music too, someone will be calling for me or I'll hear shit out the windows. My problem ain't from a mild form of schitzophrenia, but... from expanding my mind? I think that's what they call it.

The quake 1 music did stuff like that. On e2m2, I always thought the tv in the other room was up to loudly. It wasn’t until the third time I played it through; I realized that it was part of the music...