Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NBH

Doom Annihilation is getting a sequel

A sequel to Doom Annihilation is officially happening according to director Tony Giglio. The film was a huge success for Universal after the film reached it's yearly projection sales in a month

I like he acknowledges that not everyone is going to like his doom movie and he is ok with that

It seems as of right now he has to keep quiet about the plot until later down the line probably because of contracts.

I myself enjoyed Annihilation because it felt closer to the games I just wished it had a bigger budget. Lets hope Universal can actually do that this time. I wish Tony Giglio and the rest of the cast and crew the very best on making the sequel the best that it can be and i hope myself and fans will enjoy it if fans don't that is totally fine.

I should get around to watching the other then. I have no expectations of it because honestly I have no idea what I would even want out of a Doom film.

Now I'm wondering what was the goal for the movie. Yearly projection sales in a month? Like, 500 bucks? Almost everyone hated the movie and I think almost everyone who saw it was either in a pirated format or with the Civvie 11 video.

I need to get out more. I wasn't even aware there was a movie called Doom Annihilation. Is it actually worth watching though? That is the question.

Or is this one of those cases where I'm better off ignorant to its existence?  

I really did like the movie, it wasn't anything special nor was it deep or thought provoking, but just a cool Action movie and There really isn't anything wrong with that. I wouldn't mind a continuation.

4 minutes ago, Final Verdict said:

I need to get out more. I wasn't even aware there was a movie called Doom Annihilation. Is it actually worth watching though? That is the question.

Or is this one of those cases where I'm better off ignorant to its existence?  

Give it a try. worst case you get a popcorn Action horror movie

2 minutes ago, Reelvonic said:

dont watch it, it doesnt exist

there is no doom movie

but for real tho, its really awful

Despite the warning, I feel like...I need to watch it. 

Doom is a strange beast, it should be child's play to make a movie based on Doom yet somehow they never get it right. The early 00's movie was alright though, but it still missed the mark in my opinion.

5 minutes ago, jazzmaster9 said:

I really did like the movie, it wasn't anything special nor was it the best thing in the world but, just a cool Action move and There really isn't anything wrong with that. I wouldn't mind a continuation.

Give it a try. worst case you get a popcorn Action horror movie

I was thinking that too. I might not love it but the "popcorn action-horror" part makes me think that it's worth watching at least once.

If they're gonna make a sequel, I hope there's more cheese to it, like the OG movie that had the Rock in it.

Hey, I'm all for this, I thought it was dumb fun and a sequel could be more dumber funner.  Also, would be cool if they could get Wes Chatham as the doomguy...but not likely since he's in a big TV show.

Joan Dark better be blood punching and double dashing on Earth or the movie will be hideously unlike the games. 

I'll give it a chance. Even though the first film had more than a few glaring flaws, it entertained me and I know where to set my expectations this time.

Eh, I think it would be better if they revisited Annihilation and fixed the things that didn't work rather than have a sequel. Flesh out the characters more, change story elements that don't make sense, add better FX, put James Weber Brown in a better role (seriously, he looks like OG Doomguy and had a shotgun, it could work).

Or perhaps remake the movie with BOTH Doomguy and Joan Dark?

2xp0ly4ULcRu1JVsQVvUOnNovzS.jpg.54eb38be6bca63dfc33e44c7c95b3f2f.jpgjamesweberdoomguy1.jpg.8e9a6a5ba5c80f916fd41bb71124c472.jpg

I can't find any information beyond Giglio's tweet regarding Doom Annihilation's supposed yearly projection sales or even anything regarding a supposed sequel. Everything I could find only tells me that DA bombed hard critically AND financially. The film was torn to shreds by the majority that saw it and it didn't even break 100,000 sales in its home media release back in 2019. So unless Universal has incredibly low standards on how they deem something as "successful" and waited two sodding years to get JUST enough home media sales to break even, I find it rather strange they would gamble on a sequel. Film studios usually pump out sequels when the first film does well financially, not when it fails so badly that it's outmatched by similar bargain bin fodder.

Edited by Biodegradable

At this point I don't give a damn about who the main character is. I just want a really good Doom movie that sticks to the source material and has a good budget.

A compromise (sorta) between the movie being good and sticking to source material and it being cheesy. Doom the Comic The Movie.

4 minutes ago, BaileyTW said:

A compromise (sorta) between the movie being good and sticking to source material and it being cheesy. Doom the Comic The Movie.

Honestly, that sounds like the best approach. There'd definitely have to be some good 90's references in there, maybe  have Flynn Taggart in it and some guy keeps talking about his buddy, "Superfly".

A Space Marine, demons, Hell at some point, and guns. Doesn't have to have a great script, just good special effects. Hopefully practical effects for the most part to give it something of a realistic feeling. Make it an over the top action flick, that's fine. It doesn't need to be serious.

I still haven't watched Annihilation, because I really don't want another shitty Doom movie inside my head. Or maybe Netflix could make a mini-series out of it covering the first three episodes.

But it really shouldn't be hard to make a show about a Space Marine killing demons

2 hours ago, Reelvonic said:

god dammit why do we need a sequal

WHY

So people can learn to stop whining about stuff existing?

Like, you don't have to watch it, you know? There's an incredible amount of movies I haven't watched, so believe me, from personal experience, it's very easy to not watch a movie.

1 hour ago, Mr. Freeze said:

Joan Dark better be blood punching and double dashing on Earth or the movie will be hideously unlike the games. 

The movie rights cover Doom, Doom II, and Doom 3. NuDoom happened after the license contract was written and signed and therefore isn't included. Any reference to things that are specifically from Doom 2016/Eternal/The Ancient Gods Part Whatever would be a legal liability for Universal.

2 minutes ago, Jello said:

A Space Marine, demons, Hell at some point, and guns. Doesn't have to have a great script, just good special effects. Hopefully practical effects for the most part to give it something of a realistic feeling. Make it an over the top action flick, that's fine. It doesn't need to be serious.

I still haven't watched Annihilation, because I really don't want another shitty Doom movie inside my head. Or maybe Netflix could make a mini-series out of it covering the first three episodes.

But it really shouldn't be hard to make a show about a Space Marine killing demons

Since it's Universal, maybe they could get the FX guys from Doom 2005 and Doug Jones? I watched the special features of Doom '05 and the monster costumes seemed really great, even better with Doug Jones playing imps. 

This can only go one way.

Looking forward to seeing how badly this one will be received.

Just now, Reelvonic said:

or a pinky🐷

either the running doom1n2 ones or the prosthetic leg one from doom 3(hes a lil slow but lovable)

image.png.a8ab9532872e2c16a8e5314c51bcdcc2.png

OG pinky would be cool, since the last pinky we've seen was the Doom 3 version in 2005.

2 minutes ago, DavetheDoomguy said:

Any cacodemon or the OG caco?

Anything that loosely resembles the OG caco.

Just now, Reelvonic said:

definitly, but a costume of one would probaly look a really buff velociraptor with a heavy carotenoid(shrimp n' stuff) intake

If their VFX budget was big enough, they could do a decent CGI OG pinky like what was done for the 2005 movie. Though I'd probably design the pinky as a combo of the OG and 2005/Doom 3 version, as a four-legged pinky makes more sense. Possibly make it larger to give it a more intimidating look, and to match the OG sense of size compared to the player/main character.