• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NBH

Doom Annihilation is getting a sequel

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, a.a.i. said:

There has never been a good video game movie

I thought Silent Hill was alright. And Postal, despite pacing issues and being made by Uwe Bolle, was pretty good, at least it was close to the source material.

The first Mortal Kombat was pretty enjoyable, mainly because it was a straight ripoff of Enter the Dragon. But so was the game.

There was an old PC Gamer article that floated the idea of Nicholas Cage starring in a Doom movie. Whether that was serious or not, even then I thought it sounded pretty cringe. 

Has there ever been a good video game film adaption? As in actually good, and not dumbed-down or different enough from the original concept that it may as well be a totally different thing? On paper, making Doom into a film is the EASIEST thing ever: you take one spoon of Evil Dead, one spoon of Commando, add water and stir. The more tongue in cheek the better. I could do this in my sleep! Instead we got the 2007 one with The Rock, which despite being an occasional okay dose of big and stupid really came nowhere near the mark.

So far two directors have failed at this seemingly simple task. I don't really care if its Doomguy or Doomgirl, but the original protagonist is clearly some kind of Die Hard-esque everyman who gets thrust into an absurd situation, and Karl Urbans "muh deep tortured past" didn't sell me as much as what little I've seen of Annihilation also really doesn't sell me either. And yeah "ultra nightmare mothafucka lol" isn't cool or funny, its just low effort meme content.

If people aren't going to get this right then they shouldn't bother. Whatever, that's just my thoughts and if it works for you then that's cool, but it doesn't work for me I'm afraid.

Just... Why?

They must have made that thing on an absolute shoestring budget to turn a profit on that thing (and the budget shows).

Or maybe it’s a Uwe Boll tax break kinda thing or something.

Haha wouldn't be funny if we all watch it but only ironically xddddddd

I was in the studio at the time and Tony Giglio said that he would only ever make another doom movie if he wanted Civvie to make a new movie review.

oh, yes! i love DA, and i want the sequel. and i have nothing against Joan. and i am a Doom fan. low-budget action B-movie is how i always thoght Doom movie should be made. give me more of that!

after watching people play Doom Eternal and groan their way through all the lore, I'm willing to give directors a chance to diverge from the material =P my gawd

gimme a Doom barbarian movie, bring that hopeless grim feeling of characters who are good at surviving a hostile land but not good at anything else and too principled to learn

Posted (edited)

It's hilarious that people hated the movie because it's not the successor to Citizen Kane they believe Doom deserves.

Doom itself is an Aliens rip-off. What do you expect a movie about it will be like?
If you don't like it, don't watch it. I think the movies are funny, I watch them to laugh, and I'm glad there will be a new one.

I disliked Doom 2015 because it was too long, too much talking, and too little killing, I think Annihilation portrayed the game's vibes quite efficiently, and I'm curious to see what they will be able to pull this time with a bigger budget.

Posted (edited)

Personally, I'd just like a Doom movie with some decent action with a strong enough budget to pull it off. The first Doom film had the budget, but took one too many notes from Doom 3 and had people wander about in the dark with lame jumpscares and people standing around in rooms talking. Meanwhile Doom Annihilation tried to be more action-packed but fell flat thanks to an embarrassingly-low budget leading to it looking like a crowdfunded fan film that had the actors running around in what looks like paintball gear and touting really cheap-looking toy prop guns, recycled the same sets and only had one bloke in a costume to portray most of the demons.

Much like Mark, I too don't think it needs to be anything critically-revered, it just needs a lot more to work with budget-wise and some stronger talent behind the camera. There's more than enough to pull off a good dumb fun movie that revels in the spirit of schlocky 80s/90s action cheese. It just needs the right resources and people to pull it off. Time will tell.

I liked the original doom movie, but have not yet watched the new one.

The more movie content the better, don't like it, don't watch it.

10 hours ago, Doom-X-Machina said:

Video games movies are utter trash by default. All of them. Every. Single. One. Ever.

That used to be the case, but we've kind of entered the era of them mostly being a bit 'meh', not great but not terrible.

In recent years there have been a relatively decent number of solid-enough releases: Tomb Raider, World of Warcraft, Prince of Persia, Sonic, Detective Pikachu, Assasins Creed, Rampage and even the Angry Birds movies were all enjoyable enough. I don't regret the time I spent watching them, and some I'd even watch again.

Unfortunately though Doom Annihilation was not among them. I always felt the tone of Doom was basically Aliens meets Evil Dead, but none of the movies have ever lent into the whackier, Evil Dead side of things. Best of luck to them though.

lol, I do regret watching angry birds... That was awful!

Still think Mortal combat was the best one so far, although not checked those newer releases.

The curious side of me says that I'll watch that sequel...if it happens.

The rational side of me says that I'll probably regret to watch that movie.

Nice I will need more popcorn when the movie is released. People here REALLY love discussing it.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Bauul said:

Sonic

Completely forgot about Sonic. I had dismissed it originally, but had seen comments here and elsewhere that it actually turned out pretty decent, so I figured I'd give it a shot last week.

And much to my surprise, I actually watched the whole thing and enjoyed it for the most part. I figured I'd shut it off after 20 minutes. And despite the fact that Jim Carrey's body doesn't match Dr Robotnik at all, he was pretty enjoyable as well. He captured the feel, if not the appearance.

Yeah, I was really surprised by that movie. Won't win an Oscar, but for what it is, and how bad it could've been, I think it turned out pretty well.

Y'know, I thought I'd heard a while ago that it wasn't gonna be a sequel at all, but rather an entirely new attempt at making a Doom movie, and they were gonna have John Cena as Doomguy. That was probably just a rumor :(

5 hours ago, Liberation said:

Still think Mortal Kombat was the best one so far, although not checked those newer releases.

The first one. Sequel oficially sucks.

Oh no.. It's a bad idea, but it may turn good, we never know.

18 hours ago, Final Verdict said:

I need to get out more. I wasn't even aware there was a movie called Doom Annihilation. Is it actually worth watching though? That is the question.

Or is this one of those cases where I'm better off ignorant to its existence?  

Well, i was pretty entertained by it.

It is really nothing special, lacks nearly every Demon, but has some nice References and is closer to the original Doom than the other Movie that i call Resident Evil in Space^^

Go in without expacting to much and you'll be entertained enough to liking it.

That's pretty surprising.

I appreciate that the movie had actual dudes in suits for the... Imps? More of that please, preferably with more accurate designs. Honestly, just give me another movie with monster suits, maybe some better zombie make-up, and actual Doomguy with green armor, and I'll be content with all the average acting, terrible lines, contrived plot points, and re-used hallways you can throw at me.

Posted (edited)

hollywood is run by creatively bankrupt hacks who wanna milk as much money as possible out of franchises, who knew?

Posted (edited)

Well, for me Annihilation had more Doom in it than the first movie attempt, if that's worth anything. Then again, it can only get better. For example they could have more than just one or two monster types in it. If Annihiliation was such a "big" success, time to pump more money into it and make it look better at least - not even thinking about script or acting qualities at this point any more.

Did any iconic demon even make an appearance in those Doom movies?

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, <

Did any iconic demon even make an appearance in those Doom movies?

I remember seeing a few in that 2005 movie, hellknight and pinky (in their Doom 3 forms) haven't watched annihilation yet

Edited by sluggard : remove spoiler

Posted (edited)

Y'know what would be a fun idea? If the folks who made Hardcore Henry did a Doom film in their FPS style. Just imagine what they could achieve with a bigger budget to work with and studio backing. Now THAT would kick arse, fam.

17 minutes ago, Biodegradable said:

Y'know what would be a fun idea? If the folks who made Hardcore Henry did a Doom film in their FPS style. Just imagine what they could achieve with a bigger budget to work with and studio backing. Now THAT would kick arse, fam.

Agreed. I wouldn't make it the exact same but a silent pov mute Doom guy (although I'm feeling more the Slayer) kicking arse.