Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TuomasGaming

What DOOM map editor do you use?

Which DOOM map editor do you use the most?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. What DOOM level maker/editor app do you use the most and why? (Just wanted to ask this because idk)

• DOOM Builder 2
    • GZDOOM Builder
    • Other (Reply what you use)

UDB is just a more versatile (and better optimized iirc) GZDB. It's what i use, and it's what a lot of people are migrating from GZDB to.

Also, GZDB has been discontinued, UDB is still maintained.

You could've also included DBX (Doom Builder X) as an option since that's another popular alternative (it being to DB2 what UDB is to GZDB), or SLADE.

DEU, obviously /s

For real though I use Doom Builder X. It's just Doom Builder 2 but cooler and has more stuff.

Started on DB2 cause I liked how simple and intuitive it was, relatively speaking anyway as I was trying to teach myself a whole new skillset from the ground up. Now using UDB and after another learning curve I'm very satisfied with how it performs.

Ultimate Doom Builder is the one that's currently being actively maintained so I use that one. Also has Eternity support.

Eureka and Slade3, on Ubuntu.

UDB/GZDB don't run on Linux, even with WINE, and I primarily use Ubuntu as my PCs main OS.

Another vote for Ultimate Doom Builder here.  Supports everything I could want it to & I have no trouble running it.

Edited by Rymante : typo

I'm a proud member of the UDB club! I know, I know, how mainstream of me, but it really is the best tool for the job, though DBX sounds pretty cool as well.

The editors I have most commonly seen used today are:

• Slade3
  • DoomBuilder 2
  • DoomBuilder X
  • GZDoomBuilder 
  • GZDoomBuilder_BugFix
  • Ultimate Doom Builder
  • Eureka (usually for OS support other than Windows)

With Slade, DBX and UDB by far the most commonly used, with the others (bar Eureka) being obsolete now. 

Personally I use UDB: Boris has been an absolutely fantastic proactive and responsive developer for it, and has implemented some incredible new features. Things like the 3D Floor Mode and Visual Sloping are game-changers.

I like how this pool doesn't lists the most popular editors, and all the votes are going for the 'other' option, i use UDB btw

1 hour ago, smeghammer said:

Eureka and Slade3, on Ubuntu.

UDB/GZDB don't run on Linux, even with WINE, and I primarily use Ubuntu as my PCs main OS.

What do you use Eureka for? I'm also on Linux and have been exclusively using Slade3. Didn't try Eureka yet, does it do anything better?

11 minutes ago, slsmpl said:

What do you use Eureka for? I'm also on Linux and have been exclusively using Slade3. Didn't try Eureka yet, does it do anything better?

I have used the Slade map editor, but Slade is probably best used for lump manipulation. Eureka is a dedicated map editor, and I just think it is easier to use than the one in Slade. I have figured out how to add custom things to the Things panel and to the map views - I don't know how/whether that is possible in the Slade map editor (so that may be a reason to use it?). 

Although it does have text lump editing capabilities, you'll still need to compile any ACS externally (Slade, or ACC from CLI) The big caveat though is that it does not support UDMF. If you are mapping in that format already, then you'll need to stick with the Slade map editor.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/eureka-editor/files/Eureka/1.27/

Oh, you need to compile from source for Ubuntu.

https://github.com/ioan-chera/eureka-editor/blob/master/INSTALL.txt

Other than that, horses for courses I guess...

Doombuilder 1 and DoomBuilderX.

I also use Eureka on and off because it's quite different.

Doom Builder X and sometimes a bit of help w/ SLADE. My Potato can't even barely make the requirements for Ultimate Doom Builder :(. Oh well, god bless the genius behind DBX who still took in mind of those of us who have low specs, how considerate.

2 hours ago, smeghammer said:

I have figured out how to add custom things to the Things panel and to the map views - I don't know how/whether that is possible in the Slade map editor (so that may be a reason to use it?). 

Slade3 just straight up reads the DECORATE lumps in the wad you're working with and any resource wads you specify and automatically populates your thing list.

Also a little odd that the poll includes neither UDB or DBX.  It's a bit like asking "What's your favorite IWAD?" and providing  "Strife", "Chex Quest 2" and "Other" as the only options