Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MissRaven

Project: Unity Megawad for Doom 2

Hello,

we're going to play the first half of the wad + the secret maps on Thursday Night Survival today.
The session starts at 19:00 BST/14:00 EDT and you can expect it to be fairly active for 4+ hours.

I would also like to ask about the situation with the wad versions. The wad in this thread has some bug fixes and additions compared to the idgames version, however, a demo thread was created in which the idgames version was linked.
Additionally, there are still some issues that are worth fixing and could be fixed without breaking any of the already posted demos. It's not clear to me if there's going to be an update to the idgames version.

5 hours ago, Keyboard_Doomer said:

Hello,

we're going to play the first half of the wad + the secret maps on Thursday Night Survival today.
The session starts at 19:00 BST/14:00 EDT and you can expect it to be fairly active for 4+ hours.

I would also like to ask about the situation with the wad versions. The wad in this thread has some bug fixes and additions compared to the idgames version, however, a demo thread was created in which the idgames version was linked.
Additionally, there are still some issues that are worth fixing and could be fixed without breaking any of the already posted demos. It's not clear to me if there's going to be an update to the idgames version.

Sounds amazing!

The demo thread was created on it's final update. So idgames and the demos in the thread, would be the latest/final version.

Not sure if I understood correctly. The version on idgames is from 12th April and the version in the OP here is from 27th April and has many changes compared to the idgames version.

If you mean that the idgames version is supposed to be "frozen" to not mess with demo compatibility - that would be a rather unfortunate solution that would lead to a lot of confusion. DSDA also always prefers the final version of a wad, even if it is not on idgames, see e.g. Hellbound and Unholy Realms.

Anyway, the session was fun, the wad works pretty well in coop/survival despite the occasional narrow hallway. We'll play the second half of the maps probably next week or 2 weeks from now.

8 hours ago, Keyboard_Doomer said:

Not sure if I understood correctly. The version on idgames is from 12th April and the version in the OP here is from 27th April and has many changes compared to the idgames version.

If you mean that the idgames version is supposed to be "frozen" to not mess with demo compatibility - that would be a rather unfortunate solution that would lead to a lot of confusion. DSDA also always prefers the final version of a wad, even if it is not on idgames, see e.g. Hellbound and Unholy Realms.

Anyway, the session was fun, the wad works pretty well in coop/survival despite the occasional narrow hallway. We'll play the second half of the maps probably next week or 2 weeks from now.

Good to hear the session was fun, but the project leader sent the latest version to idgames, so it should be fine.

That's good, however, the main reason I asked is because, as I said, there still are some issues that may be worthwhile to fix if there's going to be an update anyway. HOMs, broken coop starts, possible (although unlikely) softlock, and MAP24 voodoo doll traps definitely being an issue for multiplayer.

If it's not too late please let me know and I can make a full report of the issues I know about.

MAP10 has 3 player 2 starts and 0 player 3-4 starts. This results in 2 voodoo dolls in coop.

MAP19 has 0 player 2-4 starts. This is not an issue for the trio of popular multiplayer source ports but in vanilla-compatible ports only player 1 can spawn.

On 5/23/2021 at 1:20 AM, Keyboard_Doomer said:

That's good, however, the main reason I asked is because, as I said, there still are some issues that may be worthwhile to fix if there's going to be an update anyway. HOMs, broken coop starts, possible (although unlikely) softlock, and MAP24 voodoo doll traps definitely being an issue for multiplayer.

If it's not too late please let me know and I can make a full report of the issues I know about.

Yes please make a full report, it helps us with fixing things. Especially with the co-op stuff. We didn't know how to properly test it, so the multiplayer stuff will need work and will be fixed. Map 24 on the other hand I 100% expected to have issues because of the voodoo dolls, but I will try and find a fix for it. If you and some others want to help us with testing the multiplayer stuff feel free.

Also about the idgames thing, I just discovered that the idgames version is NOT the final version. They never uploaded the new version because I apparently missed an email of theirs. The version located here is the most updated version. If it doesn't have DMAPINFO, it's not the updated version. We only have 1 existing version with DMAPINFO and it's the newest one.

Will update soon! Please break the WAD more! Don't worry though we will not be patching speedrun related stuff, unless it causes a softlock and or completely breaks casual play (mistagged door, missing textures, etc.)

Project Unity is going to get an update soon to fix some broken multiplayer stuff (map 24 being the worst one) but I could use your guys' help too whoever is willing. If you guys have played it, or plan to, play it either on the Unity port on UV+, or on source with Solo Net (I think it's Solo Net?) and let me know how you do on the maps in terms of difficulty and balancing. I've been doing some UV+ Max runs (new category for the Unity speedrunning leaderboard) and I'm noticing a few maps are just complete bullshit (map 25 being one of them) and I'd hate to see people genuinely struggling on it, whether it be a speedrun, or just a casual play. Anyways, if you have the time, it would be helpful for the next update. Links above are still the most recent update. Thanks for reading :>

Figured I'd have a go at identifying the yet-unknown MIDIs in the text file:

MAP04 - MIDI cover of Absence of Light by Symphony X

MAP10 - MIDI cover of Blaze Heatnix's Stage theme from Mega Man X6, sequenced by SiliconHero

MAP14 - MIDI cover of A Fool's Paradise by Symphony X

MAP15 - MIDI cover of Aegis Volcano Base from Mega Man Zero 3, sequenced by Jordan Davenport

MAP21 - "miditekk.mid" from Al Unser Jr. Arcade Racing

MAP30 - MIDI cover of Vs. Sigma Phase 2 theme from Mega Man X6, sequenced by Freddie

I can't for the life of me find out what MAP11 is, but it was sequenced by Jordan Davenport and is almost certainly from one of the Mega Man Zero games. Don't recognize MAP31, it sounds like something Mark Klem would have written but I could be wrong. Absolutely no clue what MAP17 is.

7 minutes ago, Cammy said:

Don't recognize MAP31, it sounds like something Mark Klem would have written but I could be wrong.

I just checked, and if I didn't pull out the wrong midi, then MAP31 has "Overload" by @PRIMEVAL from PRCP.
The other two I unfortunately have no clue about.

2 hours ago, Cammy said:

MAP10 - MIDI cover of Blaze Heatnix's Stage theme from Mega Man X6, sequenced by SiliconHero

MAP15 - MIDI cover of Aegis Volcano Base from Mega Man Zero 3, sequenced by Jordan Davenport

MAP30 - MIDI cover of Vs. Sigma Phase 2 theme from Mega Man X6, sequenced by Freddie

I can't for the life of me find out what MAP11 is, but it was sequenced by Jordan Davenport and is almost certainly from one of the Mega Man Zero games. Don't recognize MAP31, it sounds like something Mark Klem would have written but I could be wrong. Absolutely no clue what MAP17 is.

Map 11 is Supreme Ruler from Zero 2

On 7/9/2021 at 7:53 PM, Cammy said:

I shall verify this and update the txt file accordingly. Thank you for the help :D Same to everyone else who helped as well

Just thought I'd mention, the text on the CREDIT image is off-center and gets cut off in 4:3 mode. Great WAD from what I've seen so far tho!

2 hours ago, OpenRift said:

Just thought I'd mention, the text on the CREDIT image is off-center and gets cut off in 4:3 mode. Great WAD from what I've seen so far tho!

From what I know, it's a port issue. PRBoom I guess doesn't support proper 16:9, which is what all the background photos are, whether it's the results screen, title, etc.

Use a different port, like DSDA Doom, Unity, etc. 

Regardless, I'm glad you are enjoying it! :) Will have an update out in a day or two with some small fixes and adding more midi credits to the .txt file.

2 hours ago, THiEF said:

From what I know, it's a port issue. PRBoom I guess doesn't support proper 16:9, which is what all the background photos are, whether it's the results screen, title, etc.

Use a different port, like DSDA Doom, Unity, etc. 

Regardless, I'm glad you are enjoying it! :) Will have an update out in a day or two with some small fixes and adding more midi credits to the .txt file.

Actually, it's not a port issue, I checked. I was cropping the asset in photoshop (because I wanted to play in Doom32 on DOSBox) and a little bit of text was cut off on the right side. Here's it in Crispy Doom running in 4:3 mode.

DOOM0002.png.5f9fed1ece37eaf8ae1a8db90c028c4d.png

That's...weird and not normal. I'm not sure why that's happening on Crispy. Works just fine on Unity but considering it's 16:9 kinda explains why. Hmm...I'll see if there's anything I can do about it. Luckily (and as far as I know at this moment) it won't affect gameplay or anything. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Another hefty update has been applied to Project Unity! And hopefully this will be the last update for a very long time! Fixed some things up in some maps, such as some stuck enemies, incorrect textures, and fixed map 14's void glide, originally it wasn't working properly, as it was random. I moved the entire map up by 1 unit and it fixed the void glide! See the .txt file for more patch notes. Download the new update from the link here. Happy Dooming!

Giving this a bump. Fun wad to play through, very oldschool/90s architecturally and in combat design for the most part. I liked to imagine this was the real Hell Revealed heh, especially since all but like 1 or 2 levels were set in hell.  

If you guys aren't done with updates I ran across a couple areas you can get stuck, both in map 23.

Spoiler

You can fall down here from the ledge above

1134004217_doom00(5).png.5dd5463ee0b2a99df98a89af67f62417.png

You can also get stuck behind the secret here

doom01.png.650ac614be770f047ff165c80a80a483.png