Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MetaCorp

[gzdoom] Sector_SetPortal - disable rendering portals

Question

I am creating a map for GZDoom with large outdoor areas which rely heavily on portals. Perhaps unsurprisingly, this is causing me some performance problems. I have several questions. In case it is relevant, I have an AMD Radeon RX 580, and I am using the OpenGL renderer.

There are several indoor spaces where my portals are not visible but performance is still poor nevertheless. Disabling the portals immediately improves performance, despite there being no clear line-of-sight between my portals and the enclosed spaces. They are not occluded by 3D floors or any other trickery. 

• Is there a way disable sector portals? I was not able to find any results in the ZDoom wiki. (My portals are floor and ceiling portals using action special 57: Sector_SetPortal, these are not line portals).
  • I noticed that ultimate doom builder has these options. Is there a way to access these values and change them dynamically?

op5IHhS.png

• Would Sector_SetTranslucent allow me to disable my portals by setting them to 255 opacity. Does this actually disable them, or are they still being rendered with this special? I have not yet tested this option, I have been struggling to get this to work.
  • I also have some weather effects which are probably contributing to the performance issues. Is there a way to hide this effect or disable rendering at a certain threshold? Here is the DECORATE for my rain effect:

Spoiler

ACTOR RainfallLarge 15005
{

Gravity 0
    Speed 0
    Mass 0
    radius 128
    SpawnID 21005
    +FORCEYBILLBOARD
    +THRUACTORS
    +CLIENTSIDEONLY
    +NOBLOCKMAP