Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
pavera

ARRIVAL (Now available on /idgames) - A limit-removing episode for Doom II

Awesome! Congrats! It's been a while since the Unity port got a new WAD, right? I thought they weren't doing them anymore, but maybe I'm just non-observent.

9 minutes ago, TJG1289 said:

Awesome! Congrats! It's been a while since the Unity port got a new WAD, right? I thought they weren't doing them anymore, but maybe I'm just non-observent.

It has been a while. But just because something hasn't happened in a while it doesn't mean it can't happen, that would be weird.

7 minutes ago, TJG1289 said:

The last one was in July, because Sponge has had his hands full with the Quake re-release launch and subsequent addons and updates. He alluded a month or two ago that they have several more addons in the lineup for Doom so I don't think there's an expected end to them any time soon.

Congrats, Pavera! Arrival was one of my favorite wads of 2021. It definitely deserved to be recognized as an official add-on.

I downloaded this yesterday and found this fun little bug in map02.  It's probably too late to fix this in the id release, but I thought you might like to know that idiots like me still can't help looking for secrets in maps with no tagged secrets.

lol wow. TBH I am amazed this has not been discovered til now. I hope this hasn't stopped too many play sessions short :D

I'll note this down and see about fixing it before I put this on idgames, thanks!

Another question:  Is this floor in MAP05 supposed to do damage?  You give a rad suit right before grabbing the blue key, but I can stand in it just fine without one.

nondamagingfloor.png.1f6e14919ac26d043e04ccdd7c46b80d.png

Very decent set of maps!

I played on UV with added BrutalDoom. Boy, that was a hard one.

+ beautiful architecture and optics

+ beautiful music

+ good gameplay

+ PS: large, non-linear levels Yum!

o many potions/armor pickups, adds to optics, but sometimes a chore to pick up (we want 100%/100%/100%, don't we?)

o some rather secret places not marked as secret

o ending? (iirc. map 10)

o some later levels had a lot of lave/nukage/damage floors, radsuits were a little scarce or hard to spot

- a touch too many Revs and Archie(traps) on occasions

- some hard amount of hitscanners (though this is amplified by brutal doom, so partially my own fault :) )

On 0 to 10 I'd give it >9.0.

It was a overall very pleasurable experience, Got mostly 100/100/100 but died a lot and had to use a good bunch of save/loads.

This is a great level set! I discovered it recently while browsing through the Cacowards and wanted to give it a go.

The level designs are great, and I'm a particular fan of the classic Doom textures. Its a dream of mine to create my own megawad in the future, and map sets like these are great inspiration for sure.

There is plenty of ammunition and health pick ups, so you always feel like you can tackle all the combat situations you are put in. With the exception of a couple of 'cheap' situations, I felt the challenge was tough, but fair, and with a bit of forethought you can get through the traps that crop up along the way. I actually felt the first map was the hardest, though this was partially due to getting used to the design philosohpy. Once I got used to it, I was better prepared for what lay ahead.

Once I figured out the typical set-up of teleporting enemy traps, I felt it became easy to predict them coming ahead of time. It would have been cool to see greater variety thrown in, and different types of traps used that put you into different situations. There were only a couple of times I felt the traps were unfair. I think it was the second level where you throw a switch in a tightly enclosed area, and two Arch-Viles come out of the wall behind you. Theres no where to go, and inevitably you get zapped. Considering map sets like Sunlust are favourites of mine, I'm used to challenging levels, though I feel personally avoiding those kind of cheap scenarios provides a better play experience. There were a little too many Arch-Vile + Revenant ambushes for my liking. It would have interesting to have different combinations in some of those situations, though overall the maps are very well put together, and regardless I had a blast going through this.

Its easy to see why this mapset has gained the attention it has and has won an award too! I'll look forward to the next installment :D.

Joined up to see if someone can help, got to the end of MAP09 and teleported into a room which there was no escape, my health went down to almost 0 and the level complete page came up.  It loads into MAP10 Arrival, but I cannot for the life of me figure out what I am meant to do.  There is no way I can see out of the starting room, there is a open area to the back of the room which has a drop.  Going to the drop causes a teleport back into the middle of this same room.  I am playing on Xbox Series X, Doom with the Addon enabled for Arrival.  This is bound to be one of those headslap moments when I find out what I am meant to do, but I am very keen to complete this expansion out which has been brilliant so far.

2 minutes ago, MarcusJay said:

Joined up to see if someone can help, got to the end of MAP09 and teleported into a room which there was no escape, my health went down to almost 0 and the level complete page came up.  It loads into MAP10 Arrival, but I cannot for the life of me figure out what I am meant to do.  There is no way I can see out of the starting room, there is a open area to the back of the room which has a drop.  Going to the drop causes a teleport back into the middle of this same room.  I am playing on Xbox Series X, Doom with the Addon enabled for Arrival.  This is bound to be one of those headslap moments when I find out what I am meant to do, but I am very keen to complete this expansion out which has been brilliant so far.

Map09 is the final map, what happens at the end is similar to e1m8 from Doom. Map10 simply exists so that you don’t get booted back into doom2.

10 hours ago, Egg Boy said:

Map09 is the final map, what happens at the end is similar to e1m8 from Doom. Map10 simply exists so that you don’t get booted back into doom2.

Thank you for clearing that up.  I finished all levels this morning including map 11 with that nightmare of a platform jump at the end.  Brilliant addon, very enjoyable and challenging :)

MAP10 is indeed just a little ending map, and MAP11 is just a cheeky bonus map I put in there for fun. In the original WAD it was slotted in MAP32 as an easter egg for anyone who noticed it, but due to some limitations with the Unity port I had to change it to MAP11. Apologies if that has been misleading to folks. Anyways, happy to hear you enjoyed the set!

This is great! Loved it! Always happy when there are new levels to play. Joined up for some help. I feel hopeless! Cannot for the life of me figure out how to get to the bonus map! If someone could let me know which level I can access it through I’ll eventually figure it out! Cheers 😊

5 minutes ago, ILJ said:

This is great! Loved it! Always happy when there are new levels to play. Joined up for some help. I feel hopeless! Cannot for the life of me figure out how to get to the bonus map! If someone could let me know which level I can access it through I’ll eventually figure it out! Cheers 😊

Have you tried typing in IDCLECV32 on your keyboard?

21 minutes ago, Silent Wolf said:

Try this:

That's not a thing in this port.

50 minutes ago, ILJ said:

You can use the level select in the new game menu.

Just now, Edward850 said:

hat's not a thing in this port.

Yeah, I had a feeling that something was off when I searched for this. Thanks for the clarification, though.

I didn’t even think to look at the level select I found it thanks. Does anyone actually know what level you can access it though? 🧐

1 minute ago, ILJ said:

Does anyone actually know what level you can access it though?

You can't access it through normal means, i.e. a secret exit, hence it being a bonus map. 

I had looked into some ways to try and make it accessible through a secret exit, but without explicitly having a MAP15 in the WAD there was really no way to do it that wasn't a mess or a hack. So instead, I just stuck it in there as a little bonus. The original release has it kinda hidden in the MAP32 slot; my hope was that it would be a reward for people who wanted to snoop a little. For the Unity release, they ran into some weird problems with it being in MAP32, so we decided to just make it MAP11 there and only accessible through the level select. I think this has lead to some confusion for players who see a map there, but can't progress beyond MAP10 (due to it being the end of the actual set). Sorry about that!