Map format: UDMF
Ports tested: GZDoom, Zandronum
Replaces: Doom II MAP01
Music: Scythe II MAP07
Gameplay: Single play

Difficulty levels: built for UV
Build time: About 2-3 weeks
Textures/resources: Liberal use of CC4-tex + a Mechadon sky

Happy Friday gang, after taking a break from my main projects to join the recent speedmapping CPs, I've got a new map out! 

As you've probably come to expect from me, its fairly short and sweet and to the point. I was inspired partially by the later maps of Scythe II for this, minus the scale and slaughter-level difficulty. Its more of an exploratory, compact switch hunt, or rather sequentially driven by switches. Should be some reasonably spicy combat though. However, its fairly laid back for the most part. Atmosphere was my number one goal here.

With my WADs, I'm always trying to push myself to try new concepts, so this one features some new (to me) ideas. 

Screenshots

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20210416_154409.png.e576e4c2d10b1c515bac9e36414f47f7.pngScreenshot_Doom_20210416_154837.png.055bcf770f11737f4d805df36f3480ce.pngScreenshot_Doom_20210416_154949.png.d5ff7218ed7a67dd259840d428e7fb5f.pngScreenshot_Doom_20210416_164812.png.4fc78100e32f8960d7b8ce5f8c6fa9e2.png

I know you guys are crucial when it comes to suggesting refinements, so as usual I doubt this will be the totally finished version. Enjoy! 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9pnpb5h25bayhl6/OvergrownOutpost.wad?dl=0

Edited by VisionThing : updated

2 hours ago, Kappes Buur said:

If the outpost were overgrown, would there not be more shrubbery or trees? :)

I was kind of relying on the vine textures to convey that for me :p plus I did my usual and pulled the name out of nowhere at the last minute 

I really enjoyed this one, keep on mapping!

Edited by Delisk

8 hours ago, Delisk said:

I really enjoyed this one, keep on mapping!

Nice one, thanks! I noticed you got stuck between some flesh pillars, I'll have to check if that's down to the mod you're using or if it occurs without mods too. I was trying to make them all able to be walked through but wasn't sure how to do it.

10 hours ago, Biodegradable said:

Loved that berserk bit, exactly as I intended. Float like a butterfly, sting like a sledgehammer!

Overgrown Outpost

Ultra-Violence || Zandronum || Vanilla

Deaths → 0

Saves → none

Screenshot-Doom-20210417-083709.png

Screenshot-Doom-20210417-083843.png

Screenshot-Doom-20210417-084238.png

Screenshot-Doom-20210417-084557.png

Screenshot-Doom-20210417-084757.png

Screenshot-Doom-20210417-084815.png

A really interesting map, with closed places and without much space at the beginning, but almost near the end, the space is already being expanded and more appropriate to the fighting, in addition, I liked the structure and decorations of the place a lot, because it has a lot of essence to Plutonia, and apart from that, it has some moments that are reminiscent of the first Doom, therefore, in this aspect everything is fine. Now in the fighting, things are really interesting, because a lot of the confrontations are more with resistant enemies than with weak enemies, and also, there is quite a presence of Archviles throughout the site, which made the battles a little more interesting, and even leave a last Archvile near the exit portal, that is already a classic of mappers. All in all, I enjoyed the map quite a bit, I really had a great time, and I hope you bring other maps just as good, mate.

Played on GZDoom, UV-Max, no saves, took 3 attempts

Not bad at all :)
I found it pretty easy, almost oneshot it but mistimed my dodge and got zapped by the courtyard archvile, then took a silly baron hit on the next run. The backpack secret was cute. I liked the last outdoor room + the control room before it aesthetically. It could probably do with a bit more in terms of "overgrown" aesthetics, but it would slot nicely into an opening level for a bigger wad, I think.

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20210417_164743.png.70b5f041419fe2224f020a82220258d7.png

17 hours ago, ElPadrecitoCholo said:

A really interesting map, with closed places and without much space at the beginning, but almost near the end, the space is already being expanded and more appropriate to the fighting, in addition, I liked the structure and decorations of the place a lot, because it has a lot of essence to Plutonia, and apart from that, it has some moments that are reminiscent of the first Doom, therefore, in this aspect everything is fine. Now in the fighting, things are really interesting, because a lot of the confrontations are more with resistant enemies than with weak enemies, and also, there is quite a presence of Archviles throughout the site, which made the battles a little more interesting, and even leave a last Archvile near the exit portal, that is already a classic of mappers. All in all, I enjoyed the map quite a bit, I really had a great time, and I hope you bring other maps just as good, mate.

Thanks! Glad you liked it. 

Are you using PSX style mod there? That looks like the PSX Final Doom SSG sprite.

7 hours ago, VisionThing said:

Are you using PSX style mod there? That looks like the PSX Final Doom SSG sprite.

It's just a cosmetic mod nothing more, I really liked the PSX version, and I tried to find several things to make it look like I was playing the maps on the Playstation 1, heh

Small update, couple of visual tweaks and some ambushes modified to be a bit more challenging. 

Good map, plays well.  I would put a little more detail but while I like detail (though not too much), I've never thought not having a lot necessarily hurts a map (doesn't hurt yours).

Edited by Kor

Saves: 0

Deaths: 0

Kills: 100%

Secrets: 0%

Don't worry I'll go back and find the secrets. 

Visuals: I really love the fleshy bits. Super cool. You had me stopping to admire them. That one upside down cross at the end looks a little odd though. Maybe it's a little wide? I can't really tell what it is that I think is weird. Other than that I have no issues with how any bit of the map looks.

Combat: The fights are really fun. Nothing too crazy. Your enemy placement and variety was good and it had me excited to find more dudes to fight.

Good work. I will be looking out for your future stuff!

Video:

Spoiler

I don't think I have much in the way of useful feedback as I just really enjoyed this map. Could be more challenging on UV, perhaps around the AV encounters, but otherwise a nice little map that flowed well.

Loved it - not a lot of time to play doom so happy I found a quickie

Quick maps fo lyfe

On 4/23/2021 at 12:47 AM, Kor said:

Good map, plays well.  I would put a little more detail but while I like detail (though not too much), I've never thought not having a lot necessarily hurts a map (doesn't hurt yours).

Q'aplah!

On 4/23/2021 at 4:54 AM, Crock Wilson said:

Saves: 0

Deaths: 0

Kills: 100%

Secrets: 0%

Don't worry I'll go back and find the secrets. 

Visuals: I really love the fleshy bits. Super cool. You had me stopping to admire them. That one upside down cross at the end looks a little odd though. Maybe it's a little wide? I can't really tell what it is that I think is weird. Other than that I have no issues with how any bit of the map looks.

Combat: The fights are really fun. Nothing too crazy. Your enemy placement and variety was good and it had me excited to find more dudes to fight.

Good work. I will be looking out for your future stuff!

Video:

Reveal hidden contents

Great video! I think all the secrets are fairly apparent, nothing too obscure. I like secret switches.

On 4/23/2021 at 10:20 PM, Degree23 said:

I don't think I have much in the way of useful feedback as I just really enjoyed this map. Could be more challenging on UV, perhaps around the AV encounters, but otherwise a nice little map that flowed well.

No need for a detailed breakdown, if you enjoyed it then that's good enough for me, nice one!

On 4/24/2021 at 10:10 PM, Clippy said:

Loved it - not a lot of time to play doom so happy I found a quickie

Quick maps fo lyfe

Great video there, short maps seem to be my thing. I'd like to do something more complex one day though. Cheers!