Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jacek Nowak (jacnowak)

[Boom] how to make the sky extend below the horizon

Question

Basically - how to make it so that it does NOT look as in the image below.

I know there are ways to fix that in GZDoom and probably also in GLBoom+ but I would like it to work with the software renderer (PrBoom+ and others). Is that even possible?

I tried making texture patch higher or the texture higher but that only results in the engine displaying the bottom part of it and still ending it exactly at the horizon, I tried to fiddle with offsets in the Sky Transfer linedef but that doesn't seem to have any effect.

sky_example.png

6 answers to this question

Thanks @Diabolución but I wanted to do it with a custom texture, the one on the screenshot was just to ilustrate the problem :)

But looking at the thread you linked, it looks that it can't be done in Boom and the workaround is to create a texture that will look ok when tiled vertically (which isn't always doable if you have, say, mountains at the bottom).

55 minutes ago, jacnowak said:

But looking at the thread you linked, it looks that it can't be done in Boom and the workaround is to create a texture that will look ok when tiled vertically (which isn't always doable if you have, say, mountains at the bottom).

You should be able to define a texture larger than 128 units tall and use the Transfer Sky linedef type (271).

Apply a negative Y offset to the transferred linedef and you should be able to move the horizon line, even in SW rendering mode.

I actually tried this solution with negative offsets and it does indeed work in prBoom+: the sky is stretched below the horizon.

Unfortunately it does look ugly and not work as intended in GZDoom as in that engine the bottom of the sky is drawn at the top (so if I set Y offset to -32 in GZDoom the first 32 pixels from the top are actually taken from bottom of the texture, so it does "wrap around"). In prBoom+ it works fine though so I marked your answer as best answer, however it looks that there isn't an universal solution in Boom format that will work in prBoom+ but also display correctly in GZDoom).