Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Arcturus

Project Osiris - Alien Breed 3D for GZDoom (v1.0.3)

That is so cool! I knew Alien Breed because of the relatively recent (and frankly not that great) Alien Breed: Trilogy reboot, but I did not know they made a FPS.

Thanks a lot for your good work! I am going to try this right now.

Just did a quick bugfix on this, some stuff was broken on MAP08, and also had some issues running the game on Linux. So yeah, it's 1.0.1 now!

Put out another bugfix update! Sorted some issues - some enemies were misplaced and music volume being zero would bog down the framerate. Sorted now!

Download Project Osiris v1.0.2

Shout out to Kinsie who did a little mod with a collection of replacement sounds which are a bit more crunchy and Amiga-y. Maybe you'll like them better than mine!

Another update! A couple of other bugfixes, but mainly, the music from the CD32 version is now included as standard, as I got permission from Bjorn Lynne! You can switch between the my new soundtrack and the classic one on the fly by going to Options > Sound > Soundtrack.

Download Project Osiris v1.0.3

I remember a friend of mine playing the original version on his Amiga many years ago. It is very nice to have the opportunity to play again this  good game on modern machines. Amazing job!

On 4/17/2021 at 1:24 AM, Arcturus said:

The pixels were huge and the viewport was tiny,

I think that it was the main problem of the game. If I recall correctly there was an option to zoom the point of view but with a big loss of resolution.

On 5/12/2021 at 6:15 PM, thestarrover said:

I remember a friend of mine playing the original version on his Amiga many years ago. It is very nice to have the opportunity to play again this  good game on modern machines. Amazing job!

I think that it was the main problem of the game. If I recall correctly there was an option to zoom the point of view but with a big loss of resolution.

Thanks! No problem!

Yeah in the original you can press enter on the keypad to zoom in. It's technically the same resolution, it's just the sheer chunkiness is laid bare. Thing is though, once you get into the flow of playing the game you don't notice it as much, at least that's what I find. Maybe I'm just desensitised to it at this point!

Edited by Arcturus

Aww Yesss! Just downloaded.

Big fan of Alien Breed from back in the day. Better Aliens game than any of the official ones from that time period.

3 minutes ago, Lazlo Panaflex said:

Big fan of Alien Breed from back in the day. Better Aliens game than any of the official ones from that time period.

I totally agree!

Hi. Any way to get the HUD into the corners? Currently, the higher the UI Scale is the more centered it gets:

V56WZDDm.jpg

EDIT:

I have created a patch for HUD to be in corners. The position of Armor and Vitality have also been swapped to have it in more natural order. Also made to be completely scalable! If anyone's interested you can get it from here. Either overwrite the files within the Osiris.ipk3 or autoload it. See screenshot of it in action:

M0oREj0m.jpg

This has to be by far the best way to experience this game. Thank you for providing us with the means to do so. Played through it whole while getting all kills and secrets on the way. Secrets were more on the wall-hugging side, but that was expected. Found it enjoyable overall.

A few notes from my playthrough:

Spoiler

I was able to be under water indefinitely. LevelInfo mod I'm using that's showing me countdown for the oxygen remaining was sitting at 0:00 every time. As some of underwater areas had air pockets I assume this isn't intentional:

fhJaz63m.jpg

Just an inconvenience but Plasma Trooper cannot be killed with a single shotgun hit at close range on easy difficulty:

O4eWIypm.jpg

MAP14 - This hidden room feels like it should have been made to count as secret:
2ZgQQ3Rm.jpg

MAP17 - While other levels had an exit sign this one did not which caused me to prematurely finish the level and have to reload:
CZsrY6Wm.jpg

GZDoom v4.11.3 is showing these warnings in console upon startup:
7aVKD9um.jpg

I know you have no plans to do The Killing Grounds but if you ever change your mind I would love to play it. Perhaps one day someone makes it into an addon episode. Fingers crossed!

Edited by eqagunn

Hi @eqagunn, thanks so much for the feedback, very helpful! Some responses:

Spoiler

Yeah the HUD perhaps could do with some work, personally I didn't like the HUD going all the way to the edges as it seems too far away to check at a glance but you also have to set it to the right scaling for your resolution so it doesn't look too centered. I'll see what I can do with it on my end to make things more configurable.

Infinite underwater oxygen is actually true to the original game, despite there being air pockets. Perhaps the devs intended to have limited oxygen at some point? I decided to go along with the final game as released and keep it infinite. I feel like a lot of people find drowning in games to be a bit annoying anyway.

Plasma Troopers were made a bit healthier as they're projectile-based instead of hitscan, but for easy mode you might have a point. Will have a look and maybe tweak it.

Will fix the issues on 14 and 17, thanks!  In 17 the original version didn't have any Exit sign so I must have forgotten to add it.

The console warnings are just because the game hasn't been updated for newer GZDoom versions for a while and the config options have changed. I'm working on a big update and it'll be resolved there.

Posted (edited)
On 1/1/2024 at 4:08 PM, Arcturus said:

Yeah the HUD perhaps could do with some work, personally I didn't like the HUD going all the way to the edges as it seems too far away to check at a glance but you also have to set it to the right scaling for your resolution so it doesn't look too centered. I'll see what I can do with it on my end to make things more configurable.

I have since been playing REKKR, had to do some HUD rearranging for it as well (see before and after) and learned how to make it scalable. Your SBARINFO has positive values only which are offsetting HUD objects from top-left corner towards bottom-right. To have it offset things from opposite corners and towards opposite direction all you need to do is use negative values equal to width/height of the image! For example using DrawImage "FSSBAR1", 0, -26; and DrawImage "FSSBAR2", -91, -73; will make them stay in the corner for all resolutions and all UI scaling values set!

You can find my HUD addon attached and give it a spin! Personally I think corners are the way as otherwise it's blocking the view. And Vitality being before Armor is the way other games have wired my brain.

On 1/1/2024 at 4:08 PM, Arcturus said:

Infinite underwater oxygen is actually true to the original game, despite there being air pockets. Perhaps the devs intended to have limited oxygen at some point? I decided to go along with the final game as released and keep it infinite. I feel like a lot of people find drowning in games to be a bit annoying anyway.

Perhaps consider adding it as an optional feature if you want to stay true to the original with this. Although, with air pockets being there player's impression is that there was meant to be limited oxygen but it's bugged instead.

Edited by eqagunn

@eqagunn

Good news, these HUD issues should all be fixed next update as I'm rewriting the HUD in ZScript now and it is much more flexible! Bit of a learning curve for me but it's already working pretty well. There will be a HUD style selector (only two styles at the moment), an option to adjust the how close the elements are to the edge of the screen, and one to swap the armor and vitality around, and probably some other stuff too.

Just completed by playthrough of this on the hard difficulty and it's pretty good. Granted, I found the combat gameplay to be so-so, with mostly relying on hiding behind corners to deal with them due to how damaging they can be (though the last map ended the mod on a high note). At any rate, this is probably far far better than playing the original game, which I have never played but seen some videos of it on YT.

The game also has a nice atmosphere and style to boot, so there is at least that reason for Doom players to try it out.